Naples it Ischia

bogofman

• 1 month later...

Ciao!

Since my family is from Ischia, we go there every year. September will be the first time as port stop on a cruise.

For a lot of good information---in English!---here's a website:

http://www.ischiareview.com/

It takes roughly an hour from Naples (Molo Beverello) to the island. We usually go to Forio because that's the side of the island where my family lives. However, Ischia Porto is bigger AND has more options.

We always rent a scooter, but the public buses are fine if you have the time. The "CD" and "CS" bus lines go all around the island in a circle.

Buon viaggio!

We had a wonderful day on ischia. We took the ferry and then toured he island on the local bus. Stopped for lunch at a small trattoria and then got on the bus again. We plan to return and spend several days there.

We had a wonderful day on ischia. We took the ferry and then toured he island on the local bus. Stopped for lunch at a small trattoria and then got on the bus again. We plan to return and spend several days there.

What is the cost of the ferry and what is the bus fare on the island? How much time did you need to make the trip and return? How much time did you spend in Ischia?

Going to be there in early Nov so hope the ferries are still running.

Thanks

Avril

Ferries run year round to accommodate the residents on the island, just not as frequently as in the summer.

The trip takes one hour if direct or 90 minutes if you stop first at Procida.

The fares range between €11 - €19 (one way).

Edited by euro cruiser

Ferries run year round to accommodate the residents on the island, just not as frequently as in the summer.

The trip takes one hour if direct or 90 minutes if you stop first at Procida.

The fares range between €11 - €19 (one way).

Thanks for the info. Will think about our plan for the day.

The aliscafo (high-speed, passengers only) are the higher of the fares. The traghetto (passengers and vehicles) costs less.

Bus fare for a non-resident is 1.20 Euro for 90 minutes. An all-day ticket is 6 Euro. You can buy the tickets at tobacco shops and newsstands. Remember to validate the ticket when you board...even though you'll see that residents don't! It's a yellow "box" near the doors of the bus.

As you probably know, "biglietto" is "ticket" in Italian. It's pronounced bill-YET-oh. So, you'd say, "Un biglietto per l'autobus, per favore" ("One ticket for the bus, please").

Edited by ItaloAmericana

The aliscafo (high-speed, passengers only) are the higher of the fares. The traghetto (passengers and vehicles) costs less.

Bus fare for a non-resident is 1.20 Euro for 90 minutes. An all-day ticket is 6 Euro. You can buy the tickets at tobacco shops and newsstands. Remember to validate the ticket when you board...even though you'll see that residents don't! It's a yellow "box" near the doors of the bus.

As you probably know, "biglietto" is "ticket" in Italian. It's pronounced bill-YET-oh. So, you'd say, "Un biglietto per l'autobus, per favore" ("One ticket for the bus, please").

Thanks for the added info-very helpful.

Avril

Thank you, Garry222

It's my first time in European port, so nervous to get lost and be late to the ship

I would appreciate details about scooter: what is this and how to get on?

In terms of other suggestions, if it's googleable I can check it out

Thank you so much

In my opinion, if you want to go to one of the thermal spas, there isn't much time to do anything else on Ischia aside from having a nice lunch...not that it's a bad thing!

Poseiden is one of the best, and you can get to it fairly easily from the aliscafo (hydrofoil) port of Forio.

There is also a very nice one in Sant'Angelo (I can't remember the name, but I'm sure you can find it via an internet search). The CD and CS buses go around the island in a circle. So, whether you land in Forio or Ischia Porto, getting to Sant'Angelo is easy. Cabs are also available.

We will be in Naples (on the Epic) in just a few weeks. We are going to Ischia to visit family.

Even though the Epic is docked for 12 hours, we'll only have about 5 - 7 hours on Ischia because of the ferry schedule. Thus my first comment in this posting. I would suggest either going to a thermal spa OR seeing the island.

For the ferry schedule: http://www.ischiareview.com/ferries--hydrofoils-between-ischia--naples-timetables--guide.html

The port in Naples is "Beverello"...just a few minutes to walk from the ship.