Top Ten for Venice

kootz

We absolutely loved Rome, but were tired of Venice after one day... Just wasn't for us. It depends what you like whether or not you will like it but for 5 days I think I would be taking a train to Padova or Verona etc and exploring some of those areas as well. Bassano del Grappa is a nice place to check out also, and sample some grappa!

The top thing we did on our entire two week land and sea trip to Italy a couple of years ago was Row Venice. You get to learn to be a gondolier. The price for both DH and I for our two hour? lesson was less (half?) than the cost for the standard gondala ride and was SO much more memorable.

We were worried about our physical ability to participate but even us older (I was 55 at the time and we were celebrating Hubby's 50th), fat, out of shape guys were able to do it. Though I would definitely suggest going as early in the morning as possible as you get a workout - ruddering with the tide is relatively easy but sculling AGAINST the tide was another story! If you want to see pictures of us, check out my blog and look back to Venice in April 2013....or check out the Row Venice website.

I can't recommend this highly enough...it really is something we are both so glad we did.

5 days in Venice is a pretty healthy time. You will have time to do the top 10, the second 10 and worst 10...

Healthy? Not sure I would want to be in Venice for five days. The best thing about Venice is the atmosphere, especially at night walking near and around the Rialto bridge and St Mark's Square. The gondola can be cheesy, but we enjoyed that as well. Doge's Palace may be a top 10, but I didn't think much of it. We have a day and night there before our cruise next summer and we'll do a Murano/Burano island tour, walk around Venice, get a nice dinner, and maybe another gondola ride. We may do a tour of the Jewish Ghetto as well. We'll see what kind of time we have.

May I recommend a book called Venice for Pleasure by JG Links. 5 days would be plenty of time to enjoy a couple of his walks which as well as major sights will take you to less trodden side streets & local cafes & restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Frari church, Santa Maria della Salute, walking along the side of the Guidecca canal in Zattere and stopping for an Aperol spritz then lunch, riding the number one vaporetto listening to Rick Steves' audio guide, Burano, gardens in Arsenale, St Mark's square, Doge's Palace, climbing the Campanile, listening to the musicians at Caffe Florian....... Too many things to see and do and not enough time. I could visit Venice every year and still see different things. My favourite place in the whole world!