HA documentation

love4monsters

Hi

Son broke his leg 2 days ago and we may need an HA room for your upcoming cruises. What paperwork is required? I am going to the ortho and would like to be able to request it today. My concern is if we change rooms and we don't need it anymore there will be an issue.

I am also calling Disney but the moral dilemma is killing me! He may be out of the cast by then.

Thanks!

Angela

No documentation is required per the ADA. However, DCL can take action if they find that an individual has requested an HA room and doesn't need it.

I'd work it 2 ways. First, see the orthopedist and get an estimate of how long he will be in the cast. If the estimate involves the cruise, call DCL and see whether there is an HA room available (we waitlisted for one for 18 months and ultimately canceled the cruise when it didn't come thru!). If it is available, request it. If he no longer requires it before the cruise, you can always call DCL and explain the situation--it will then be their option whether to move you or to note that you are available to be moved if the room is needed by someone else.

If an HA room is not available, you'll have to decide whether he can handle a regular room or whether you need to cancel the trip.

I always carry documentation of my daughter's condition because she "looks normal." It won't hurt to carry something from the doc, but legally they cannot ask you for any proof of need. This is a change from 6 years ago when there was a doc form needing a signature.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks - I did call Disney and received very much the same information. Our appointment is this afternoon. We are booked on this cruise with friends who are next door. All cabins are available and I wish I would have asked if they go to anyone on GTY status. I will probably call them back to verify. I hope he is out of the cast as he is a very active 8 year old!

Thanks!

Angela

Yes, a couple weeks before the cruise, any available HA cabins may be assigned to people with GTY or *GT bookings. It is more likely that they are assigned to people with *GT or those who pay for upgrades at the terminal as GTYs are normally assigned about 30-45 days before the cruise.

Once, before we had a need for an HA cabin, we purchased one as an upgrade at the terminal.

Years later, we had booked a regular cabin and my adult daughter's condition deteriorated rapidly requiring the use of the HA cabin. We called our TA and DCL was able to move out the person who had a *GT assignment to the HA and move us into it.