Review of Legendary Hawaii - a Legendary Fail for some

Rick, I would really go again. The cruise was so fabulous I would suffer through all that again. I forget easily:rolleyes:

Still don't know why we couldn't have boarded in San Diego, sailed down to Ensenada to touch down and then on to the islands?????

I know they do that coming back from Hawaii to San Diego or LA. I've read about it too many times. It's still US/Mexico/US either way you look at it!

I don't like to disagree with anyone, but we have gotten priority tendering on every tender on each of our cruises and we are D+. I haven't seen any of the "perks" being taken away. And I have managed to get a seat at the Solarium every day I've gone there - I guess I've just been lucky. Thanks for your review and it was really nice meeting you[emoji7]

I don't like to disagree with anyone, but we have gotten priority tendering on every tender on each of our cruises and we are D+. I haven't seen any of the "perks" being taken away. And I have managed to get a seat at the Solarium every day I've gone there - I guess I've just been lucky. Thanks for your review and it was really nice meeting you[emoji7]

Curious what ships and how it worked for you? We haven't seen it on our recent Radiance (2015), Quantum, Legend, Serenade (2014) cruises.

Rick, I would really go again. The cruise was so fabulous I would suffer through all that again. I forget easily:rolleyes:

Still don't know why we couldn't have boarded in San Diego, sailed down to Ensenada to touch down and then on to the islands?????

I know they do that coming back from Hawaii to San Diego or LA. I've read about it too many times. It's still US/Mexico/US either way you look at it!

Becci..........it's a combo of what the PVSA Act, which states that a foreign vessel must reach a distant foreign port before reaching another American port.

Hence, on the Princess 15 night round trip from Los Angeles, it only reaches Ensenada after a long distance run from Hawaii. Whereas the Legend did not qualify to just run to Ensenada (close to San Diego) before sailing to another American port.

Convoluted, stupid, but that is what our government is all about. What was originally designed to help American built ships, no longer exists. It won't be long before China is building our warships.......and America, as we know it today, will no longer exist.

We will be back next year, when the Radiance leaves Hawaii to head to Australia.:)

Rick

In a nut shell there are two rules pertaining to ships and the PVSA. One rule for one ways between two DIFFERENT US ports and one rule for ships returning to the SAME US port. So a ship that returns to the same US port, ie LA to Hawaii round trip, they need to stop at any foreign port..ie...Ensenada or they use Victoria on the Seattle round trip Alaska cruises. But, a ship that sails from one US port to a different US port must stop at a foreign DISTANT port..there basically aren't any in North America so a ship cannot sail from LA to Honolulu as there are no Distant ports that it can hit. Ships get around this by sailing from Vancouver, Canada or Ensenada, Mexico as the PVSA doesn't apply unless two US ports are involved.

In a nut shell there are two rules pertaining to ships and the PVSA. One rule for one ways between two DIFFERENT US ports and one rule for ships returning to the SAME US port. So a ship that returns to the same US port, ie LA to Hawaii round trip, they need to stop at any foreign port..ie...Ensenada or they use Victoria on the Seattle round trip Alaska cruises. But, a ship that sails from one US port to a different US port must stop at a foreign DISTANT port..there basically aren't any in North America so a ship cannot sail from LA to Honolulu as there are no Distant ports that it can hit. Ships get around this by sailing from Vancouver, Canada or Ensenada, Mexico as the PVSA doesn't apply unless two US ports are involved.

Thanks for proving my point! You also understand the antiquated laws regarding Passenger Service.

Rick

My DH has talked about taking a cruise around the islands. Personally, I love Hawaii and taking land trips has worked great for me. Years ago when RCI was sailing out of San Pedro to San Diego, Catalina Island and then to Ensenada, we took this short cruise with our adult children and their spouses. I am wondering why you could not board in San Diego, go to Ensenada and then to HI? My Mexican friends dislike trying to get into Mexico through Tijuana! It certainly is not a good experience!

"We stayed at the Wyndham right across the street from B street pier...so handy and very satisfactory hotel for cruising. We ate at Anthony's Fish Grotto also across the street and right on the water. We found the food pretty good." One of our favorite hotels and we love Anthony's! Just makes our SD trip!

Thank you for sharing! Love Hawaii and may one day cruise there!

Plus is the key here. We are Diamond only and didn't get assistance this time. As for solarium....lucky you! The problem seems to be that people can't be considerate and take the time to remove the towels and drop them in the bins...so how do you know if the lounges are taken or not? Was just trying to be considerate by not removing them. Most peeps just walk off leaving them on the lounge.

Edited by BecciBoo

I totally agree with your assessment of the cruise. We were on it as well. The Diamond Concierge totally pissed us off. We moved up to the Viking Lounge as well to get away from her. We are Diamond Plus and did not appreciate being treated like 4th graders. After we got to her boss she mellowed somewhat but i was glad to hear she got off in Honolulu as we are still in Hawaii and flying to Sydney saturday to rejoin the Legend on June 11. One other comment, Diamond Plus members do have tender priority. There was a letter in our stateroom telling us to get in any line at any time and show the our seapass card with diamond plus on it. It worked every time.

My understanding from reading various things over time, is that the port unions on the U.S. west coast are very difficult and even nasty. I have heard ship personnel find them awful. I think sometimes luggage getting dumped in the bay is not an accident, when a ship is loading. Things were really bad before the current contract was settled. Also, it is likely cheaper to start from Ensenada. There may be these behind-the-scene reasons for this.

That would be hard to explain in a nutshell. In our case she didn't want us saving any seats one evening and we were with 2 other couples and we all came in at 5 each evening. So we would pull our chairs into a circle around one of the cocktail tables. So we did this that night and she came over and said, "we can't have that in here..." In front of everyone in the lounge.... As a Diamond I felt like I was being ordered about by Atila the Hun. I didn't say anything but we moved the chairs back just as the others in our party arrived. There weren't many in there at the time and we were bothering no one. I thought her attitude was completely condescending. The 6 of us vacated quickly to the the Viking Crown and one of our party was so angry she made it a point to complain to someone in authority...but she wasn't the only one. She had many complaints as has been reported here.

One was on account of her bungling a request because of a severe shell fish allergy that a Diamond member had and not once but twice, the shrimp were put on the same platter as the chicken legs. The second time, they had to send the woman in question down to the clinic. Needless to say she was livid. She did have a reaction and was administered medication for it. I know she complained to her boss and to the chef and guest services. She was also one of those who finally went up to Viking Crown to get away from her. In my opinion this incident was very serious.

Sorry if this riles anyone who likes Zahide....she became very pleasant after my incident ...

Edited by BecciBoo

On the way to get our car at Alamo, we passed Ken's Pancake House and went back for breakfast...best omelet we have ever eaten, along with Hawaiian pancakes. We had to split this it was so large and since you get 2 pancakes, it was perfect. It was so good, we elected to go back for lunch, equally as yummy, I highly recommend it!!!

34of03o.jpg

Then dropped by the Orchid nursery....lovely...

1zqt56x.jpg

Next up: Kona and our snorkel tour to Cpt Cook monument where we did briefly view the resident dolphin and saw the most pristine reef and residents of any place we have ever dived or snorkeled!

Will post later with pics as we are still working on them.

Where did you rent the car from, was it far from the port, going in September I think it is cheaper and you can see more with renting a car.

It was Alamo in Hilo who provided a van transfer to their lot at the airport and back, easy peasy! A 15 minute ride from port AND it goes right by Ken's House of Pancakes so you can see how to get back to it easily. We rented a Camaro convertiable for $80 total with a half a tank of gas which proved to be plenty. Gas around the islands was always around $3.45 per gallon so their price of $3.05 a gallon was a savings. Be prepared to put the top up and down with regularity!:D

Edited by BecciBoo

That would be hard to explain in a nutshell. In our case she didn't want us saving any seats one evening and we were with 2 other couples and we all came in at 5 each evening. So we would pull our chairs into a circle around one of the cocktail tables. So we did this that night and she came over and said, "we can't have that in here..." In front of everyone in the lounge.... As a Diamond I felt like I was being ordered about by Atila the Hun. I didn't say anything but we moved the chairs back just as the others in our party arrived. There weren't many in there at the time and we were bothering no one. I thought her attitude was completely condescending. The 6 of us vacated quickly to the the Viking Crown and one of our party was so angry she made it a point to complain to someone in authority...but she wasn't the only one. She had many complaints as has been reported here.

One was on account of her bungling a request because of a severe shell fish allergy that a Diamond member had and not once but twice, the shrimp were put on the same platter as the chicken legs. The second time, they had to send the woman in question down to the clinic. Needless to say she was livid. She did have a reaction and was administered medication for it. I know she complained to her boss and to the chef and guest services. She was also one of those who finally went up to Viking Crown to get away from her. In my opinion this incident was very serious.

Sorry if this riles anyone who likes Zahide....she became very pleasant after my incident ...

I don't know Zahide, but I'd have a hard time believing that I'd go and complain because I was asked not to save seats. In all of my cruises I've never gone out of my way to find out complaints about someone either as you some to have.

Someone with allergies so severe as you say shouldn't be totally relying on someone else to watch out for them

Edited by SeaUs

My DH has talked about taking a cruise around the islands. Personally, I love Hawaii and taking land trips has worked great for me. Years ago when RCI was sailing out of San Pedro to San Diego, Catalina Island and then to Ensenada, we took this short cruise with our adult children and their spouses. I am wondering why you could not board in San Diego, go to Ensenada and then to HI? My Mexican friends dislike trying to get into Mexico through Tijuana! It certainly is not a good experience!

"We stayed at the Wyndham right across the street from B street pier...so handy and very satisfactory hotel for cruising. We ate at Anthony's Fish Grotto also across the street and right on the water. We found the food pretty good." One of our favorite hotels and we love Anthony's! Just makes our SD trip!

Thank you for sharing! Love Hawaii and may one day cruise there!

Hey DaNana, come back and get your 1000 post :)

Edited by Cruising_Tiger

Thanks for bringing back memories of our cruise to Hawaii on Legend back in 2003. As we were celebrating our 50th anniversary, it was a very special cruise.

Sorry you had a bad start with your trip to Ensenada - we left from Vancouver and were impressed with the efficiency of the process. Also at that time good manners would have discouraged people from doing things like using a table while saving lounges when they could see others had no place to sit. I don't remember when we started noticing the feeling of entitlement that took some of the fun out of places like the solarium.

We were at a table for 10 - the other 4 couples all from British Columbia. We melded immediately and immensely enjoyed our dinners together. One couple owned a florist business and invited us to go with them to visit the gardens of some of their vendors. That was certainly a beautiful way to enjoy Hawaii's flowers. A funny fact for us was that one couple had recently retired and moved south to enjoy better weather (they were from the Yukon, but it was hard for us to think of British Columbia as "south").

Again, thanks for the memories!

Margy

Edited by Margy23

That concludes my review. If I offended anyone, it was not intentional.

Even with the hiccups, I would repeat this trip next week:eek::D

Meeting so many new people was fantastic, we sure had a wonderful time.

RCCL just needs to charter a more suitable company for busing the border. They cannot control Mexico's process but they could make it more bearable.

As for Legend, she helped make our first, but not last, trip to Hawaii a thrilling success. We are already planning the next visit to spend a whole week with the folks.

Good evening and Aloha ya'll!:D

Fantastic (and honest!) review and pics .... and never worry about offending anyone ... tell it like it izz, Becciboo! ;)

On the way to get our car at Alamo, we passed Ken's Pancake House and went back for breakfast...best omelet we have ever eaten, along with Hawaiian pancakes. We had to split this it was so large and since you get 2 pancakes, it was perfect. It was so good, we elected to go back for lunch, equally as yummy, I highly recommend it!!!

34of03o.jpg

Thanks for the great, informative review. I absolutely LOVE the photo of the pancakes! Is that their coconut syrup on them?

We ate there once and absolutely loved that syrup!! Brings back lots of memories. We came home with a bottle of the syrup. Then ordered a bottle to be shipped. The problem was coconut syrup rots really easy and needs lots of refrigeration.....and it was rotten when it got to our door. :eek:

I don't know Zahide, but I'd have a hard time believing that I'd go and complain because I was asked not to save seats. In all of my cruises I've never gone out of my way to find out complaints about someone either as you some to have.

Someone with allergies so severe as you say shouldn't be totally relying on someone else to watch out for them

I see you have cruised a lot and certainly understand your position, however, we were there and witnessed everything that occurred with the food alergies, we were traveling with that couple, we also witnessed MISS TURKEY as she became known amongst most of us show her authority to us. Being Diamond +, we certainly understand the rules and we understand they are enforced differently on each ship. However when a concierge walks up to your group and asks if we all got her letter in the stateroom and we all acknowledge yes, then she proceeds to pull it out and read it to us word for word without looking up one time, then walks off to the next table and does the exact same thing until she covers the entire room. We are not 4th graders and do not expect to be treated as such. That was just the beginning! One couple walked up and asked her to book Chops the first night because they had a 2 for 1 special if booked the first or second night. Her response "thats not my job". Now we have been on many cruises with RC and Celebrity and that is her job as a Diamond Concierge.

As far as the food alergies it was a joke. The first 2 nights we went to the Viking lounge to get away from MISS TURKEY they grought seafood mixed with the other food. My wife and i have been in the restaurant business for 18 years and certainly understand you do not mix shellfish with other foods and then only provide one pair of tongs for the entire tray. The food and beverage manager got involved and really didnt seem to care that we brought it up. The 3rd night there was no seafood served, the 4th night it occured again and at that point our friend was taken to the infirmary by MISS TURKEY and the doctor onboard advised the F&B that he could not do that. It stopped for the next 2 nights then started again.

I am eally just touching the surface of the issues with MISS TURKEY. What i am glad of is that she went home when we arrived in Honolulu. We are flying from honolulu to sydney tomorrow to rejoin the ship june 11 and going all the way to hong kong.

My last comment is that we are seasoned travelers just as you are and I cannot believe for one minute you would have allowed these issues to occur on your watch without at least being slightly offended, if so kudos to you. Nearly everone else in the Diamond lounge was offended!

Where did you rent the car from, was it far from the port, going in September I think it is cheaper and you can see more with renting a car.

We rented a car in every port ... check out discounthawaiicarrental dot com. Mind you, I REALLY hate to rent a car because I can never figure out where the controls are that I need. Simple things like turning on the windshield wipers, or what in the world is that warning light trying to tell me? But we paid $30/day for a mid-size car and had the freedom to go see what we wanted to see at our own pace. In Hawaii ... it's the way to go.

Thanks for the backup Jcarr.

Maybe SeaUs doesn't know that anyone with a food allergy is under obligation to alert the dining staff or the concierge about it and should expect the proper procedures to be followed. This question is asked as you do your check in for the cruise so the dining room can prepare for you. You imply that people with allergies should just not eat or not cruise were you? Absurd.

I did not complain to anyone but other cruisers about Zahide, it was someone else in the group of people we met this cruise that went to her superior. And many more who did. But the allergy incident could have been prevented if she had just done her job and checked to see that procedures were followed with every afternoon set up. She did not. Nor, as Jcarr noted, did she go out of her way to accommodate requests made by her Diamonds as is her job.

And we were not saving seats, we just rearranged the seats. If someone had come in and wanted them, we would have gladly given them up. As I stated here earlier, chair hogs are not my kinda thing:cool::p

Edited by BecciBoo

And we were not saving seats, we just rearranged the seats. If someone had come in and wanted them, we would have gladly given them up. As I stated here earlier, chair hogs are not my kinda thing:cool::p

And even so, there's a polite and discrete way for her to handle concerns like that... It sounds like her approach left something to be desired...

Thanks for the backup Jcarr.

Maybe SeaUs doesn't know that anyone with a food allergy is under obligation to alert the dining staff or the concierge about it and should expect the proper procedures to be followed. This question is asked as you do your check in for the cruise so the dining room can prepare for you. You imply that people with allergies should just not eat or not cruise were you? Absurd.

I did not complain to anyone but other cruisers about Zahide, it was someone else in the group of people we met this cruise that went to her superior. And many more who did. But the allergy incident could have been prevented if she had just done her job and checked to see that procedures were followed with every afternoon set up. She did not. Nor, as Jcarr noted, did she go out of her way to accommodate requests made by her Diamonds as is her job.

Of course I know if there is a severe alergy that the crew needs to know. But that being said they aren't following you around the ship guarding you against a piece of shrimp that may be on your route. The kitchen is responsible for a cross contamination issue, not the concierge. She may have told them about it after she was informed. How do you know she didn't.

A person in your group complained about her and many more??? Amazing to me how you just know all this

And why would you complain to anyone about her let along other cruisers? That's just gossip.

Rearranging seats to your table? What would you call it?

Aside from that, she had no affect that I see except for that one minute of your cruise and here you are complaining to readers about her

Edited by SeaUs