Cruises to nowhere going away in 2016? very sad

vince_g

John Heald of CCL announced that due to some kind of customs regulations, they are cancelling cruises to nowhere in 2016, and it was mentioned that this is going industry wide.

announcement from john heald:

Quote:

Disappointing news :

Due to recent changes in how ships are cleared into and out of the United States by U.S. officials, certain short duration cruises without a foreign port of call are subject to itinerary changes beginning in 2016 . Unfortunately, this means that we will not be permitted to operate cruises-to-nowhere

This does include the Carnival Vista's 3 day cruise to nowhere from New York.

Those who are booked on our cruises to nowhere will receive a letter very soon explaining this.

So sorry.

source: https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald/p...77867052255856

cancellation notices are being sent, including carnival vista's 3 day cruise to nowhere from new york, and itinerary changes implemented.

it was also confirmed on this board in another thread by carnival's online community manager on cruise critic:

Quote:

Due to recent changes in how ships are cleared into and out of the United States by U.S. officials, certain short duration cruises without a foreign port of call are subject to itinerary changes beginning in 2016. Unfortunately, this means that we will not be permitted to operate cruises-to-nowhere.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...2&postcount=43

it is expected, or stated, to be an industry-wide change.

re-posting here in a separate thread for general information, beyond the vista 3 day cancellation thread, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2220770

if you have a CTN booked (on carnival or otherwise), watch your bookings, email, and share your feedback here.

The upside for some is that after repositioning instead of the CTN they will add a couple days on to the first day of the cruise season. Look for some 8, 9, or 10 day cruises out Tampa, NOLA, Houston.

The upside for some is that after repositioning instead of the CTN they will add a couple days on to the first day of the cruise season. Look for some 8, 9, or 10 day cruises out Tampa, NOLA, Houston.

There is also the possibility of them making the repo cruises an extra few days longer instead, especially as passengers booked on 7 day cruises may have less flexibility to do the longer cruise than those who would book a repo cruise would. Only time will tell what changes NCL makes

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I would probably agree with the above guess...

In Carnival's case....they might be able to make it to Saint John, NB for a brief call during the three day cruise to satisfy the new regulation, if they wanted to...

But they would have to burn a lot more fuel to cover that distance, and cover the port fees... Since it is a new ship, I don't think an additional charge would lose any of those interested passengers....

For the Breakaway, they would extend the 12 day Southern Caribbean to 14 days, and add a port or two, or just extra sea days...I am booked on the 17 January sailing, and wouldn't mind that at all...;):)

Edited by bob brown

I have never done a CTN on NCL...our first is booked on the Breakaway in December. I'm glad I'll get to experience one NCL CTN from NY. I'll be keeping my eye on it. I hope they don't cancel that one, too! :eek:

This is terrible news. My first NCL cruise was a CTN out of NY. If I didn't do that cruise, not sure I would have booked the others. It is what got my wife and I into the idea of doing more cruises, especially out of NY. It's a great way to see if being on a ship is the right vacation for you.

We've been looking to do a CTN with friends next year. According to the NCL site there are no CTN's available for 2016. The only "weekend" cruises on the site are the the ones on the Sky.

I have never done a CTN on NCL...our first is booked on the Breakaway in December. I'm glad I'll get to experience one NCL CTN from NY. I'll be keeping my eye on it. I hope they don't cancel that one, too! :eek:

I am booked on the ncl breakaway for the CTN December 11, 2016.....I hope that the December CTN is not cancelled.... i am so much looking forward to it....plus i will be staying on for the 7 night cruise as well.....

I wonder what they will do with the 12 day cruises. Booked on the 1/3 one. I guess only time will tell? Love the itinerary, but not sure if I could swing a 15 day vacation.

I'm really curious what they'll do for the cruises already on the books. I wonder if they're just screwed and will have to stay in port...

In the future, I think NCL will need to do what RCI does out of Bayonne and offer a wider range of cruise lengths. I believe this past year Quantum sailed 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12 night cruises. Anthem is sailing a range of cruises this coming winter season as well. Not sure how else they could do it... a 14 night cruise sounds lovely but is very, very long. I don't think I could swing that vacation either.

Logistically this could pose a problem for port operators because sometimes CTNs are used to keep the ship out of port on a peak turn around day (NYC Manhattan) to prevent two ships from being in at the same time. Lots of issues occur when the Manhattan port gets too busy including luggage going to the wrong ship. Elongating the cruises may help resolve this issue but I know one thing is for sure... cruise lines are out to make more money so they're going to assess their options and whoever is on the cruises before may have their cruises elongated to make up the distance. The 12 day Breakaway may now become a 14 day cruise and there's nothing wrong with that! :D

Logistically this could pose a problem for port operators because sometimes CTNs are used to keep the ship out of port on a peak turn around day (NYC Manhattan) to prevent two ships from being in at the same time. :D

It's not a problem for port operators. Either there's room at the inn or there isn't.

I wonder what they will do with the 12 day cruises. Booked on the 1/3 one. I guess only time will tell? Love the itinerary, but not sure if I could swing a 15 day vacation.

I spoke to CAS yesterday and they told me the 12 would become 14 (I am booked on the same one as you) and we would hear about it next week. I also saw all the 12 nighters jumped in price today after remaining steady since April, that is a good indication that they are preparing for the change in length.

It's not a problem for port operators. Either there's room at the inn or there isn't.

The issue is getting the ship back on schedule. Mixing various length you sometimes end up at a port of call that is already occupied on the day you would normally call there. throw in a CTN and you are back on schedule.

Strange, CTN did not need CBP for arrival, I didn't even show a passport or birth cert. just my drivers license.

For those close to NYC it was cheaper then show, dinner and room in Manhttan for a special occasion especially when I got a rate of $79 pp.

FWIW

I spoke to CAS yesterday and they told me the 12 would become 14 (I am booked on the same one as you) and we would hear about it next week. I also saw all the 12 nighters jumped in price today after remaining steady since April, that is a good indication that they are preparing for the change in length.

Wonder where the sea days fit in. I personally (if I keep my booking, which I will at least until final payment decision day), would LOVE a sea day after Tortola. 1) breaks up 6 straight port days 2) it could mean a full day in Tortola. I would not be ok with them just adding them to the end. Too many sea days in a row for this girl! Thanks for the info.

The issue is getting the ship back on schedule. Mixing various length you sometimes end up at a port of call that is already occupied on the day you would normally call there. throw in a CTN and you are back on schedule.

Strange, CTN did not need CBP for arrival, I didn't even show a passport or birth cert. just my drivers license.

For those close to NYC it was cheaper then show, dinner and room in Manhttan for a special occasion especially when I got a rate of $79 pp.

FWIW

That is the problem. A CTN isn't a foreign voyage, nor is it considered coastwise. CBP's problem is with the crew visas, and the possibility that crew could work many months essentially in the US, with only a D-1 crew visa, provided the ship makes an occasional foreign voyage. Not likely with the major cruise lines, but essentially what Bimini Superfast wanted to do.

Another fine example of government regulations getting in the way of business. There were never any consequences as a result of holding CTN's ...

This. I don't get why the government has any say in this. As far as I know, and I am in now way an expert, they are not subsidized. Aren't they private businesses?

This. I don't get why the government has any say in this. As far as I know, and I am in now way an expert, they are not subsidized. Aren't they private businesses?

Government regulations control many aspects of the operations of private businesses. The government absolutely has a say over areas in which it regulates, and this is just such an area. To give you a completely unrelated example, the EPA has statutory authority to regulate certain emissions. It's controversial and I have no interest in getting into it, but it's another example.

Edited by Dave85

Wonder where the sea days fit in. I personally (if I keep my booking, which I will at least until final payment decision day), would LOVE a sea day after Tortola. 1) breaks up 6 straight port days 2) it could mean a full day in Tortola. I would not be ok with them just adding them to the end. Too many sea days in a row for this girl! Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't mind it if they made a rare winter call at Bermuda along the way, or even a stop in Port Canaveral or the Bahama's or anywhere on the East Coast, just for some variety....:)

It is because the cruise lines, specifically what Bimini Superfast wanted to do, would be bringing in foreign workers to work in the US without the proper visas.

These trips to nowhere have been going on for a long time and the law is not new. I bet CBP is responding to a cruise/shipping line that is trying to push the system.

If you look at the threads on this topic over on the Carnival forum, you will see the link to the case in 2013, which resulted in the cruise lines having to request exemptions for the CTN's, and this final ban was to keep Bimini Superfast from continually requesting exemptions.