Everything.. ESCAPE (live 29 Oct 2015!)

Btw, I still do think ES has larger balconies than BA/GA;

Not the best angle and pic but..

kspzd.png

They bump out a bit after the bridge where BA/GA are straight.

Looking at the side by side, I have a question (for anyone).

On BA/GA, the H7 Forward-Facing Pent. w/balcony has a "cove balcony" on deck 13 (13706 in this case).

On Escape, the cove balcony would be on deck 14. Looking at the pictures, deck 13 on Escape seems different than 12,11,10, 9.

Am I just seeing a work in progress (it's on both sides)?

Barnacle's sig is the best on CC :D

Thanks! :)

On Breakaway's transatlantic crossing they even lost a few dividers. :D

Nope, don't think so, but that happened during one of BA's early runs to Bermuda.

I was onboard that sailing (2nd cruise to Bermuda) and saw the whole incident from start to finish. NCL officers were on the scene within minutes to take away the fallen dividers and some loose screws and brackets. No one was hurt, and the issue was handled quickly and professionally.

The person who started that thread on CC declared that it was like a "war zone," and complained he didn't receive compensation (this happened on the afternoon of the final sea day before NYC, FYI). This photo of him and his neighbor smiling and posing certainly puts a different spin on things. There are other words I think might apply to these folks, but I'm sure others can fill in the blanks themselves :rolleyes:

DSC_6011_zps9b6b3cb6.jpg

Candid question ... I followed RCL Quantum via CC on its maiden voyage. It had some kinks to work out and the line obliged the passengers with free drinks and OBC to make up for it. Does anyone anticipate the same with the Escape?

Quantum was extremely behind schedule, with many major projects unfinished at the time of the handover. Escape, which is far less technically complex, isn't nearly as far behind. She won't suffer from the same extreme issues as Quantum, but there may be some of the usual startup hiccups. From my experience, Breakaway had one of the smoothest openings of a new class of ship. I have no reason to believe Escape will be any different.

Edited by barnacle_boy

Candid question ... I followed RCL Quantum via CC on its maiden voyage. It had some kinks to work out and the line obliged the passengers with free drinks and OBC to make up for it. Does anyone anticipate the same with the Escape?

The Quantum was a completely new ship design, with a major shift in dining policy and totally new technology platform - all of which resulted in a mass meltdon - hence the generous compensation by RCCL management.

The Escape is a slightly wider sister to the Breakaway/Getaway with very little layout change, or leaps forward in technology. The major policy shift here is that speciality diners w/ packages will be charged a'la carte rather than a flat cover charge.

Based on that i expect the first few sailings from Europe and the transatlantic to have the normal service-entry glitches, but not the major meltdown the Quantum experienced. Judging by the VERY pitiful compensation offer for clients affected by cancelling nearly 1/3 of the fleets sailings for winter 2016/17, I'd expect ZERO compensation for any issues on these first sailings.

Sea Wanderer, is there a link you can share to see her pinging? That's so cool...TY

Not sure if this is the website, but I found this Kismet618:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:7.4/centery:53.1/zoom:12

It show the Escape @ MW. If you click the box on the left the name of the ship will show. I tried posting the screen shot but it wouldn't post a clear pic -- kept coming out blurry. I think it's designed to keep you from doing screen shots.

Edited by texangal39

Not sure if this is the website, but I found this Kismet618:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:7.4/centery:53.1/zoom:12

It show the Escape @ MW. If you click the box on the left the name of the ship will show. I tried posting the screen shot but it wouldn't post a clear pic -- kept coming out blurry. I think it's designed to keep you from doing screen shots.

Thanks for sharing!

The Quantum was a completely new ship design, with a major shift in dining policy and totally new technology platform - all of which resulted in a mass meltdon - hence the generous compensation by RCCL management.

The Escape is a slightly wider sister to the Breakaway/Getaway with very little layout change, or leaps forward in technology. The major policy shift here is that speciality diners w/ packages will be charged a'la carte rather than a flat cover charge.

Based on that i expect the first few sailings from Europe and the transatlantic to have the normal service-entry glitches, but not the major meltdown the Quantum experienced. Judging by the VERY pitiful compensation offer for clients affected by cancelling nearly 1/3 of the fleets sailings for winter 2016/17, I'd expect ZERO compensation for any issues on these first sailings.

I sailed on the QUANTUM maiden crossing from Southampton to NY. What an amazing ship and experience. From my perspective very little went wrong. I had great food, service, and entertainment on a spectacular new ship. As you mentioned Royal Caribbean probably took on a little too much with all the QUANTUM innovations. The Dynamic Dining change along with the technology required to run it efficiently were probably the two biggest issues. The internet wasn't working at the high speeds promised by Royal Caribbean but it was still as good as any other ship. Royal gave us all free internet the entire cruise, and future cruise credit (totally unnecessary in my view), free drinks on occasion, and free speciality dining on occasion. There were so many senior executives from Miami onboard that decisions on compensation were made quickly and they wanted to do right by everyone onboard especially knowing how many were Diamond level and above. I was beyond impressed.

One extra surprise were special inaugural gifts every night in the cabin. That was a really nice touch. Also that crossing hosted the largest Cruise Critic meet & mingle in Cruise Critic history. In attendance was Carolyn Spencer Brown from Cruise Critic, the Captain and senior officers, and the Royal Caribbean senior executives from practically every department in Miami. Oh yes and also hundreds of Cruise Critic members taking up every inch of the two levels in The Music Hall. Pretty impressive!

So I agree it's unlikely that ESCAPE will experience any of the issues QUANTUM did. She is not a prototype and doesn't have the new innovations and technology that QUANTUM did. I am sailing on the maiden crossing of ESCAPE and I'm looking forward to comparing the two experiences. There are many similarities in that both ships were built at the same shipyard, both are crossings out of Southampton, and pretty much it's the first revenue sailing of both ships. This is my first "maiden" voyage on NCL so I'm anxious to see how it compares to Royal Caribbean.

Thanks for writing your experiences and perspective. Sounds like RC did a good job in trying to smooth things over; most important, IMO.

Hope your Escape experience is wonderful in every way!

I sailed on the QUANTUM maiden crossing from Southampton to NY. What an amazing ship and experience. From my perspective very little went wrong. I had great food, service, and entertainment on a spectacular new ship. As you mentioned Royal Caribbean probably took on a little too much with all the QUANTUM innovations. The Dynamic Dining change along with the technology required to run it efficiently were probably the two biggest issues. The internet wasn't working at the high speeds promised by Royal Caribbean but it was still as good as any other ship. Royal gave us all free internet the entire cruise, and future cruise credit (totally unnecessary in my view), free drinks on occasion, and free speciality dining on occasion. There were so many senior executives from Miami onboard that decisions on compensation were made quickly and they wanted to do right by everyone onboard especially knowing how many were Diamond level and above. I was beyond impressed.

One extra surprise were special inaugural gifts every night in the cabin. That was a really nice touch. Also that crossing hosted the largest Cruise Critic meet & mingle in Cruise Critic history. In attendance was Carolyn Spencer Brown from Cruise Critic, the Captain and senior officers, and the Royal Caribbean senior executives from practically every department in Miami. Oh yes and also hundreds of Cruise Critic members taking up every inch of the two levels in The Music Hall. Pretty impressive!

So I agree it's unlikely that ESCAPE will experience any of the issues QUANTUM did. She is not a prototype and doesn't have the new innovations and technology that QUANTUM did. I am sailing on the maiden crossing of ESCAPE and I'm looking forward to comparing the two experiences. There are many similarities in that both ships were built at the same shipyard, both are crossings out of Southampton, and pretty much it's the first revenue sailing of both ships. This is my first "maiden" voyage on NCL so I'm anxious to see how it compares to Royal Caribbean.

Thanks for writing your experiences and perspective. Sounds like RC did a good job in trying to smooth things over; most important, IMO.

Hope your Escape experience is wonderful in every way!

I'm pretty sure I will love ESCAPE as I really loved GETAWAY (even more than QUANTUM which totally surprised me). I will say if there are any snafus my money would be on Royal Caribbean any day over NCL. They just seem far more customer focused in such situations.

I'll be writing a full review of ESCAPE along with tons of photos.

I'm pretty sure I will love ESCAPE as I really loved GETAWAY (even more than QUANTUM which totally surprised me). I will say if there are any snafus my money would be on Royal Caribbean any day over NCL. They just seem far more customer focused in such situations.

I hope you have a fantastic time on your trip and all goes well! Take good care of the ship as I will be following you on 11/14. Hope to read your review and see the pictures before we depart. Please let us know of any must see/dos.

I hope you have a fantastic time on your trip and all goes well! Take good care of the ship as I will be following you on 11/14. Hope to read your review and see the pictures before we depart. Please let us know of any must see/dos.

Thanks so much! I'll do my best to keep ESCAPE ship-shape! I'll post the review and pics here but not sure it will be complete before you leave. Hope you have a blast as well!

Good to know.....glad you are going before me!

I just looked at all your Breeze photos and they're terrific. Did you do a written review? I did try to find something.

I booked it on a whim a few weeks ago, for several reasons, but have had a bit of "buyer's remorse" recently. I have never cruised a Carnival ship before, so looking forward to the experience. Your pictures restored my enthusiasm. The spa, Serenity area, many outdoor areas...everything looked so nice, clean and bright!

Edited by asubaru

Good to know.....glad you are going before me!

I just looked at all your Breeze photos and they're terrific. Did you do a written review? I did try to find something.

I booked it on a whim a few weeks ago, for several reasons, but have had a bit of "buyer's remorse" recently. I have never cruised a Carnival ship before, so looking forward to the experience. Your pictures restored my enthusiasm. The spa, Serenity area, many outdoor areas...everything looked so nice, clean and bright!

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the BREEZE pics. Here is the review that went with them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1793166

I'll be honest the BREEZE was a mixed bag. Some great things but also a decline in some Carnival staples like entertainment, food quality, and service. The cutbacks were very evident. I also felt BREEZE was very crowded and the public areas quite warm. I've cruised on Carnival since (FREEDOM) and it was a big improvement over the BREEZE so perhaps Carnival revisited some of their cutbacks and made improvements.

I hope you have a great time on BREEZE and hopefully many of the issues I had won't be for you.

I've been on the Breeze and the Freedom and the Breeze wins hands down. Revisiting her this fall before the escape. The lido restaurant was the only layout I was not fond of. The only crowds were on deck 5 at night when Matt the CD took over MC duties. And he's very popular, named new CD for new Vista. Trying Getaway in 2 weeks and think their ship is similar. Breeze has more optional food offerings than the Freedom class. Put me on a ship and I'm happy!!!

Thanks and glad you enjoyed the BREEZE pics. Here is the review that went with them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1793166

I'll be honest the BREEZE was a mixed bag. Some great things but also a decline in some Carnival staples like entertainment, food quality, and service. The cutbacks were very evident. I also felt BREEZE was very crowded and the public areas quite warm. I've cruised on Carnival since (FREEDOM) and it was a big improvement over the BREEZE so perhaps Carnival revisited some of their cutbacks and made improvements.

I hope you have a great time on BREEZE and hopefully many of the issues I had won't be for you.

We had the opposite.

The Breeze never felt crowded, we though most of the MDR food was very good and were mildly surprised by the American Table menu's. Tandoor was excellent, enjoyed the Italian place, kids loved the new Camp Ocean themed kids club. Even the Chef's Table rocked!

Entertainment on CCL is not so great but what we did we enjoyed.

It was our best overall family cruise ever.

Escape has a high hurdle to overcome and already being one day less it is already in arrears.

also felt BREEZE was very crowded and the public areas quite warm.

We had the opposite.

The Breeze never felt crowded, we though most of the MDR food was very good and were mildly surprised by the American Table menu's.

I suspect the issue of crowding often has a lot to do with when you sail. We were on Breeze's first NYE cruise and the crowding was just awful. They stuffed too many people (I recall hearing upwards of 4,500-4,600) on that ship. The Lido was a mob scene, good luck getting in either of the 2 small pools, etc. With that said, the thought crossed my mind a few times that the crowding would not have been as bad had we gone during off season without a thousand children / extended family groups occupying 3rd/4th berths on board. I must note though that we'd done NYE on other Carnival ships (Liberty and Splendor) and the crowding was not as bad.

We no longer cruise NYE and had no issues with crowds on Breakaway last November and anticipate much the same on Escape in May.

Edited by Dave85

Threads often go off course. Just human nature in the course of conversation. I'm sure you will survive.

Pretty sure I will survive as well, but thanks for your concern. Now whether or not you will survive your affliction of taking yourself way too seriously? I'm not so sure...

By the way, the giant smiley face indicates that one is having fun with the situation. I can understand how that might confuse you.

Edited by LrgPizza

I suspect the issue of crowding often has a lot to do with when you sail. We were on Breeze's first NYE cruise and the crowding was just awful. They stuffed too many people (I recall hearing upwards of 4,500-4,600) on that ship. The Lido was a mob scene, good luck getting in either of the 2 small pools, etc. With that said, the thought crossed my mind a few times that the crowding would not have been as bad had we gone during off season without a thousand children / extended family groups occupying 3rd/4th berths on board. I must note though that we'd done NYE on other Carnival ships (Liberty and Splendor) and the crowding was not as bad.

We no longer cruise NYE and had no issues with crowds on Breakaway last November and anticipate much the same on Escape in May.

I think this is true with most mass-market ships. It's one reason I generally don't sail on them during the summer months or holidays when kids are out of school.

For instance I loved the GETAWAY but sailed off season. A friend sailed on her last month and hated the ship. Said it was overly crowded and filled with unruly kids that ran wild.

So timing does make a big difference.