Carnival Fantasy May 2016 from Miami to KeyWest & Cozumel

AH1002

Hi!! I'm new here and a first time cruiser. I've been searching the Internet and trying to find out as much as I possibly can before our trip. I took my first and only cruise back in 1998, I was about 11 years old, with Carnival but this is my first cruise experience as an adult. It seems like a lot of "rules" need to be followed and I'm trying to get prepared. My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary and he's never cruised. We just booked a few days ago to embark on May 30th for a 4 night cruise to Key West and Cozumel. We dont have time to get passports so we are taking birth certificates, drivers license, and marriage certificate. Obviously the documents provided online at booking we will take too. I really need advice or suggestions about the following:

1. Is this a good cruise? Anyone with experience with the ship, destinations, or traveling time please lend any information you are willing to share!

2. Will our documents be ok? I'm a bit nervous that we won't be able to get on or off the boat. Any chance I will run into problems or have to go to a special line to be processed?

3. I'm on a very strict budget, we dont drink or pLan on excursions, and I aim to pay under $1200. The cruise fare was $866, it's about $20 a night to park at the port in Miami, and I guessed maybe $10 in one dollar bills for tips with a five or ten for steward if service is good, and I'm aware of auto gratuities. Is there anything I'm missing?

4. We have been waitlisted for dining, but will we still be able to dine in the dining room or will we be "kicked out" of there's no room for us? (Seems silly but I have no idea)

Thank you so much for any responses! We are counting down the days and getting really excited for our first cruise!!!

(I posted this in First time cruisers and was directed to this forum, sorry for multiple posts!)

Welcome!

I think you've picked a fine cruise - especially since your husband has never cruised. Four nights is just enough time to unpack and relax and not too long in case he hates it.

Your document list looks fine to me.

If you have already prepaid your gratuities, the only reason you'll need some loose cash is to tip room service or what you use in port. If you're not going to drink, your budget is very achievable but that also depends on your shore excursions (if you do any).

You won't be kicked out of dining - they will assign you somewhere. You just might not get your first choice. If you don't like what they give you, just visit the dining room right when you board and see if they can switch you.

Most importantly - have fun and happy anniversary!

The only problem with using your birth certificate is that if by chance you have an emergency and have to fly back home from a port then you won't be able to without the passport but otherwise your documents will be on for getting on and off the ship!

The only other expense you might come across is for pictures that are taken but I have found that if we don't have any taken then I'm not tempted to buy them :)

Hope this helps.

Have fun and enjoy!!

Everything seems fine to me. If I were you go to the Fun Ashore show and try to win an excursion. Otherwise you are fine. Site seeing is available at both ports right off the boat. Calm down and enjoy. I just sailed that ship and I had blast and would do it again.

Just came off this very cruise (April 11-15). We had a great time. The ship is in good condition and the crew was very friendly. We were on Empress deck forward, good location also kind of quiet. I don't really cruise on a tight budget, but this itinerary can fit into your budget just fine. The early stop in Key West, and plenty of options in Cozumel. In Key West we just walked on Duval St for a while. In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach, just a $15 taxi ride (each way). It costs $3 per person to enter, includes beach chairs and umbrellas. I've read they recommend you spend $10 per person while there. We dusted a couple of cold buckets of Dos Equis Beer and nachos. A couple of ice teas and a snack will take care of that for you. The beach is nice, clean facilities and a beautiful pool. Have a great time on the Fantasy.

Regarding the ship, it's an older ship but it's in good condition and you should have a great time on the Fantasy.

For Key West, don't bother with any excursions. Assuming you don't have any mobility issues you can walk to absolutely everything. My suggestion is to grab a tourist map and walk to the Hemingway House and take a tour. Then walk to the Southernmost Point for a photo and then to the Butterfly Museum. Then head to Duvall Street and tour the shops and find a place for lunch. Check out the famous Sloppy Joes along the way to the end of Duvall.

Do a little research and see if any of the other highlights appeal to you. Most highlights should be within walking distance of the cruise ship.

Photos from my Carnival Fantasy cruise:

http://www.svee.org/Vacation/2014-Carnival-Fantasy/

Photos from a land-based Key West vacation (Shows Hemingway House, Butterfly Museum, Duval Street, Southernmost Point, Sloppy Joes, etc.):

http://www.svee.org/Vacation/2010-Key-West/

It should be easy to have fun in both ports without spending much. There's a lot to see in Key West within walking distance. Must try a slice of frozen Key Lime pie on a stick, dipped in chocolate! My family has always cruised Carnival, and always on a budget. They don't drink, and we have fun being off the grid with no internet or cell phones for the trip.

I just got off the Fantasy on Friday. We loved the ship, the crew, the ports. This was my 11th cruise but my mom's 1st. We found we could always find seats or loungers easily and there were not very long lines any where.

This is a very good cruise for budget cruising! Like others have said, Key West is easy to walk around and just see the sights and people watch. In Cozumel, we took a cab to Paradise Beach. Taxi was $15 each way with a $3pp for use of the pool and beach. (And I didn't hit $10 each in food/beverages exactly, but they didn't mind!). It was a nice relaxing day under the palm trees. The pool there is very nice!

Did you know that you can bring cans of soda in your carry-ons? I think it's 12 cans per person. I usually bring it on because I drink Diet Pepsi and the ship only has Coke products, but that will save you some in soda costs. Otherwise, water and tea are always available on the Lido deck, as well as juice in the mornings. There will be plenty of food choices that do not cost extra.

We enjoyed the shows very much and the comedy shows at night. Again, plenty to do that does not have additional costs.

Relax and have a great cruise! And happy anniversary!

In my opinion, the 4 night key west / cozumel itinerary is the best to get someone's feet "wet" (no pun intended) with cruising. Great ports, short, but enough to get you a good feel for what cruising is all about! Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

As soon as you board, go have lunch. There will be so many options, so just try anything/everything you want!

Then, get a copy of that day's Fun Times, the daily "newsletter" of ship activities. They are at guest services, bars, and various places along the Promenade. Then, beginning your 1st night and each night after, your steward will leave one for the next day's activities when he/she prepares your cabin in the evening. Take a highlighter with you so you can easily mark those items of interest to you. You can mark and tear off the little back half-page to carry with you during the day.

Fantasy was my 1st cruise---I fell in love with that ship :). And will be back on her in Dec. after she returns to Mobile! Can hardly wait! I think she's perfect for a first cruise because she is smaller so easier to navigate.

One more thing---be sure to have motion sickness pills or patches with you. You can buy Bonine at the drugstore/Walmart, etc, or you can call your Dr. and have them call in prescription for patches (to put behind your ear) to your pharmacy. Ginger is also very good to control motion sickness. I take along ginger pills, and sometimes drink gingerale or snack on a small piece of candied ginger.

Most important piece of advice----JUST RELAX AND HAVE FUN! :D

I agree, it will be a great cruise and I love the itinerary... In key west, you can walk around (but it will be hot) or there are many places o rent a bicycle (like $10 a person) which is a great, cheap way to get around the whole island)..

Paradise beach is great, but Another cheap option for Cozumel (no taxi needed) is Sunset beach bar. when you exit the port, go left towards town, walk about 1/3 of a mile and you will see it. No cover (buy some sodas or a nacho), great snorkeling, pretty water, reasonable drinks/ prices. It is where the ships go to bring shore excursions for shore snorkeling. It not a "beach" per-say but has steps into the water which is super clear and lots of chairs and some loungers. Then you can relax in the port area and watch the sunset.

Also, bring your own snorkel gear, make sure you bring sunscreen and ALL pharmacy stuff (aspirin, seasick pills, tums...) cause I see many people have to "waste" a lot of $$$ buying these things overpriced on the ship or shore when with a little planning you can be prepared.

If you drink soda, bring cans onboard. Don't gamble (duh) and always read the fun times to see what is going on (stuff that costs will have the $ symbol beside it)... Plenty to enjoy onboard without spending too much... Sunsets on deck are free!! Enjoy!

1. It's a great cruise, we took this same cruise and loved it! We were on a different ship, so I can't give feedback on that. But we took a snorkel excursion in Cozumel and then hung out at Paradise beach afterwards. Snorkeling was great and the beach amenities were good too. In Key West we took a city tour think it was called "Conch train tour" and then rented a car and explored on our own afterwards.

2. You definitely can travel with documents you listed. Only way you will have any problems is if you miss the ship when in Mexico and need to fly home. My advice...don't miss the ship!

3. I would make sure you have a credit card and extra cash with you for any incidentals that may arise...something always comes up.

4. You will still be able to eat in the dining room, you may just not get your preferred time.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the great info. I have been wondering about what to do in Cozumel without booking an excursion (they all seem pretty expensive & we are on a budget too!). It is so nice to be prepared. It's my 2nd cruise and my husband's first, so I know he is a little anxious about everything.

Wow. Yes, did this same cruise back in April. Great service, no complaints but yes, it's an older boat without all the bells and whistles but it did have the Funship 2.0 upgrades. Mmmmmmm Blue Iguana Burritos.

And to repeat what the others said. Just walk around Key West and explore. Check out the Southernmost point. Stand in line, get the picture. No real need for any shore excursion. Enjoy the wild roosters. :)

As for Cozumel, I can not recommend the Carnival offered swim with the Stingrays excursion. It wasn't bad really just didn't quite live up to the hype.

Do some shopping and have a drink or three in the local bars. Lots of those places right by the pier too.