Carnival grats increasse to $12.95 & 16.50 respectively

nelblu

From the Carnival website: Please note, effective for all cruises departing on or after September 1, 2016, the recommended gratuities amount will increase from $12.00 USD to $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and to $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites.

Looks like everyone is getting a raise.:)

Per Yahoo Finance, Carnival increased their daily grats on May 8 from $12 to $12.95 per day/person. Suites from $15.95 to $16.50. Last increase was July 2014.

Yahoo finance might want to get their facts straight.It was never $15.95 for suites. It's going from $12 to $12.95 for non suites and to $13.95 for suites.

Not that it matters. I'm all for it. I booked while on Magic last week for a October 17 cruise and had gratuities added at 12.00 pp pd. Just wondering if those are locked in? I know Royal just did the same thing recently. If you already had a cruise booked and gratuities added, they were locked in. I have no problem paying the extra. Just wondering how that will be handled.

Not that it matters. I'm all for it. I booked while on Magic last week for a October 17 cruise and had gratuities added at 12.00 pp pd. Just wondering if those are locked in? I know Royal just did the same thing recently. If you already had a cruise booked and gratuities added, they were locked in. I have no problem paying the extra. Just wondering how that will be handled.

As long as you have a deposit down on a cruise and have manually added the gratuities you are grandfathered in under the old rate.

Up .95 a day! Unacceptable! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

:p

Good for them. Wonder how the additional amount will be allocated.

The 8% and 16.25% raises will be distributed however Carnival sees fit. But they appreciate everyone being so willing to offset their wage cost line.

In a way, this is really no different than when a food company reduces the size of their pre-packaged items and raises their prices. We see it all of the time at the grocery store. Paying more for less is just the way things are, and moaning about it won't change anything.

1. It is still cheaper or close to in line with other major brands.

2. How soon people forget that the gratuities are 100% up to the cruiser. Go to guest services and change them if it is that big of a deal.

Edited by cmukid87

b0c43020b6599bb8c95a891543d047bd.jpg

This was the opportunity we got to have the old rate added. We were assured that the crew will get the added amount so we didn't chose to prepay, we are ok with the increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1. It is still cheaper or close to in line with other major brands.

2. How soon people forget that the gratuities are 100% up to the cruiser. Go to guest services and change them if it is that big of a deal.

On point #1 - I agree. There is no news here as far as I'm concerned.

On point #2 - I disagree that people forget they can adjust or remove gratuities. In fact I believe the increase is in large part because so many people do just that. Something I totally disagree with unless service was absolutely horrendous.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On point #1 - I agree. There is no news here as far as I'm concerned.

On point #2 - I disagree that people forget they can adjust or remove gratuities. In fact I believe the increase is in large part because so many people do just that. Something I totally disagree with unless service was absolutely horrendous.

I totally agree! Decent people have to pay for the freeloaders just like life on land.

Sue

I totally agree! Decent people have to pay for the freeloaders just like life on land.

Sue

It just seems like there is a weekly thread burning people about removing gratuities.

Mine are typically always paid before I board and I see it as a cost of cruising. It would take something pretty extreme to remove them.

It just seems like there is a weekly thread burning people about removing gratuities.

That is because there are a lot of very angry people that feel they have the obligation to instruct the rest of the people how to spend their money.

I am all for the uncharge, those workers work very hard and long hours and quite honestly, we always prepay our tips and always give them cash on top of that for their hard and good work. I don't understand why people complaining about a dollar more a day???

I am all for the uncharge, those workers work very hard and long hours and quite honestly, we always prepay our tips and always give them cash on top of that for their hard and good work. I don't understand why people complaining about a dollar more a day???

This! Every word.

In a way, this is really no different than when a food company reduces the size of their pre-packaged items and raises their prices. We see it all of the time at the grocery store. Paying more for less is just the way things are, and moaning about it won't change anything.

I remember being aggravated when ground beef went up to $.69!

We also prepay and give extra cash, but to be fair that's .95 per PERSON per day. When we take an 8-day with our five-person family, that's $38. Still only one-hundredth the cost of the cruise, but not nothing. I don't mind if we continue to receive excellent service, the staff gets the extra money, and the amount doesn't keeping going up too fast.

We have elected to not prepay gratuities for the upcoming trip. It is less than $14 of increase and Carnival's crews are outstanding. Out of all my Carnival cruises, I have encountered maybe 3 employees that didn't deserve tips and I just avoided them (2 bartenders and one server).

This! Every word.

$1.00 a day x 3000 passengers average/ship x 25 ships x365 days = $27,375,000.

And you really believe it is all going to crew?

And you really believe the existing crew got all the tips for all the cabins they picked up with the new 1x per day norm?

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha hahahahhhaaaa!!!!!