MSC Poesia

cllrcollins

Hi everyone, sailing on Poesia from Venice next Saturday going on EasternMed. cruise. Ports are Venice, Bari, Katakolon, Mykonos, Piraeus, Sarande andDubrovnik. Anybody done this trip before and could you recommend any good shoreexcursions? Is anybody else here doing this cruise on 6th May?

Have cruised with MSC previously but not on the Poesia. Any opinions on this vessel? We have cabin 12016 at the front of the ship. What's this cabin like?Finally, a fairly particular question, can you connect a USB stick into the TV in the cabin?I have my music on this and it would be some much easier to carry a USB stickrather than another device. Thanks in anticipation:)

We have done those ports apart from Sarande which is new to MSC calls I think, Poesia is our favourite of the Four MSC ships we have sailed on so far.

The Zebra lounge mid ship is also our favourite lounge, great place to sunbathe is at the back of the ship outside the disco.

In Bari we did the hop on hop off bus tour but to be honest you can walk the route easily, the bus stops just outside the port where there is also a small road train.

Depending on your time in Katakolon you can take the train to Olympia, the train stop is close to the port.

Mykanos we just strolled around the town and the windmills.

Piraeus we have been a few times, there is the hop on hop off bus to Athens which is another a five to ten minute walk from the port building, there is also the train that you can take in to Athens and the station is about a Twenty minute walk.

Dubrovnik, take the shuttle from the port to the Town, walking around is fairly easy, you can also walk around the walls for a fee. There is also a cable car but no idea of the cost.

My husband and I absolutely love MSC. we have also sailed RC, Holland America, Celebrity and Carnival. We have sailed on the Divina many times but we both agree that the Poesia is our favorite Ship of all. The charm and elegance of the Poesia is what makes her so special. Enjoy your sailing!

• 4 weeks later...

We are just back from sailing the same itinerary on MSC Poesia. Ask me anything. I will have a detailed trip report in a few days.

Bari - docked - we walked from the Port to the Old Town, wandered round and walked back to the ship for a late lunch,

Katakolon - docked - booked a guided tour with Katakolon Express to Olympia - they had 2 buses of MSC guests the day we went (no sign of the train)

Mykonos - tender - walked round the lovey maze of white streets, saw the windmills, had simple Greek meal and gelato for the children

Athens - docked - booked private tour with PGT (no 1 rated for Tours in Athens on Trip Advisor) - well worth the money

Sarande - tender - couldn't find either a MSC shore excursion or a private tour that appealed to us so we sort of made it a sea day and spent most of the day on the ship

Dubrovnik - docked - (I read sometimes this is a tender port which would be great because you would be taken straight to the Old Harbour which is next to the 2nd entrance to the City Walls) - took taxi from dock to Pile Gate, walked the walls, then wandered the streets, lunch, more wandering then taxi back to dock.

We are just back from sailing the same itinerary on MSC Poesia. Ask me anything. I will have a detailed trip report in a few days.

Bari - docked - we walked from the Port to the Old Town, wandered round and walked back to the ship for a late lunch,

Katakolon - docked - booked a guided tour with Katakolon Express to Olympia - they had 2 buses of MSC guests the day we went (no sign of the train)

Mykonos - tender - walked round the lovey maze of white streets, saw the windmills, had simple Greek meal and gelato for the children

Athens - docked - booked private tour with PGT (no 1 rated for Tours in Athens on Trip Advisor) - well worth the money

Sarande - tender - couldn't find either a MSC shore excursion or a private tour that appealed to us so we sort of made it a sea day and spent most of the day on the ship

Dubrovnik - docked - (I read sometimes this is a tender port which would be great because you would be taken straight to the Old Harbour which is next to the 2nd entrance to the City Walls) - took taxi from dock to Pile Gate, walked the walls, then wandered the streets, lunch, more wandering then taxi back to dock.

Thanks for the detail. We will also be doing the same itinerary. Would it be possible to give me the prices on the Sarande excursions? We were thinking of doing the scenic, nature route.

Sorry no idea on prices for shore excursions, can you not see it on their website?

I've just looked on their website and can see Blue Eye Spring, 4.5 hours, AUD$72 per adult and Albanian Riveria and Its Villages, 6 hours, also AUD$72.

Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

So happy to see some positive Poesia posts. Hard to find much info on this ship here. We do this trip 9/16 if Hurricane Irma lets us get out of FLL... Praying.

Any last minute tips/hints./great finds for this trip would be appreciated. Hubby is concerned with draft beer selections with Aurea Package.. anyone recall what the choices were besides Heineken?

• 1 month later...

What kind of tour did you do in Athens? Do you remember how much you paid for this private tour? Any and all info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• 10 months later...

Hi there, we're also boarding on Sept 1st, coming from Dublin and travelling thru the night - we did the west last year with MSC and enjoyed it - does what it says on the tin - and found it above board (scuse the pun) - Haven't got any fly cruise details as yet but hopefully we'll see ye there, Joe and Ciara

Interested in any other details/tips you might have

Ciara

Interested in any other details/tips you might have

Ciara

Hi Ciara ... you've quoted a post from 15 months ago so you may not get a response.

You say you're sailing on Sept 1st but don't have cruise/fly details; that's this coming Saturday! Have you not received your tickets yet?

Crikey! We're on the same cruise (flying from Dublin, too, so will probably be on the same flight). When I didn't see the tickets by Friday 17th I contacted them and received the tickets the following Monday.

However, we've received the wrong vouchers for an excursion we've booked, so I'm waiting to receive the correct ones.

Have you emailed mscdirect@msccruises.co.uk? (I'm assuming you booked direct?)

Yep, you're on the 7 ish (am) flight out of Dublin Saturday morning - so we'll see ye at the Gates if we get our tickets - we're travelling from Wexford

We didn't go direct but actually went with ClickAndGo who we used for other holidays. I rang Friday and they basically did nothing until today but assure me the tickets will be sent later on.

I'm sorry to hear they mixed up yer excursion vouchers - we didn't book any directly with MSC so I've no experience of that. Yes, important to get them looked after as the tour you do want could book out. Alternatively, I do recommend cruiseexursions.com which we booked the Olympia tour with - and then look for a refund on to your cruise card. There are other suggestions too up there online. I booked a few tours for Venice on the last day too through Get your Guide - a skip the line for St Marks (it's free if you don't skip the line) and direct booking with the Doge Palace. I attempted to book a walking tour of Bari and a tour of Athens but neither materialised, cruiseexursions.com did refund the Athens one. We'll just take the train. There's a cruise shuttle bus for 14 euro return to the old city of Dubrovnik - a bit pricey as per person but we don't have much time there so might be a good time saver. Mykonos is walkable - checked weather and it'll be gorgeous there so nice for strolling and getting some R&R, Sarande -there's public buses going to the places of interest - they are cheap but there's only one an hour! I heard hitch hiking is quite safe there if really stuck. Bari, there's a little train but really just somewhere you can stroll around by yourself with a map - lots of place closed on a sunday - the Basilica and Castle are the main sites, there's a beach 3 kms away you could get a taxi too either. There's excursions to Aborello but to be honest we're travelling thru the night to get aboard Saturday so sunday we'll be truly taking the Sabbath - and taking it handy. I'm not going for the wifi onboard or the spa, the balcony is our treat, we're in a cabin on the 10 th deck Carducci (don't want to send my cabin room # to the world here) ! We're also taking the transfer bus to the port so we might see you in the queue for it .... can FB me - Ciara dowling (wx) Thanks for taking an interest in our plight! See you soon - this time next week we'll be in Mykonos (hopefully!)

Crikey! We're on the same cruise (flying from Dublin, too, so will probably be on the same flight). When I didn't see the tickets by Friday 17th I contacted them and received the tickets the following Monday.

However, we've received the wrong vouchers for an excursion we've booked, so I'm waiting to receive the correct ones.

Have you emailed mscdirect@msccruises.co.uk? (I'm assuming you booked direct?)