Riviera - Bathroom Question

FrankLasVegas

Though I have cruised on O class ships in those two categories not close enough together to recall a firm difference. IIRC the room itself is a little larger in a PH but I believe the shower itself is the same. I'm in the 'prefer more cabin space and no tub' camp and have not used the tub in either but I think I've read here the tub is a little larger.

As for the shower, I'm 6' and not a slight man and its size is fine if that is the concern. I'd prefer if it was a tiny bit larger, and different grab bar placement would help but it is miles ahead of those showers and curtain on the R-class. Also glad they have the mountable hand-held shower head as that rain type shower head pouring out water a couple of inches above my head is almost claustrophobic. Perhaps because it is so low but I feel like I'm drowning.

I expect you will get square foot dimensions

I don't have any dimensions but it's my recollection that the shower in the PH is definitely larger than the regular veranda. I know in the veranda it's so small that I use the shower in the tub, but in the PH I'm okay in the regular shower.

Hopefully someone will come along with definite measurements.

Though I have cruised on O class ships in those two categories not close enough together to recall a firm difference. IIRC the room itself is a little larger in a PH but I believe the shower itself is the same. I'm in the 'prefer more cabin space and no tub' camp and have not used the tub in either but I think I've read here the tub is a little larger.

As for the shower, I'm 6' and not a slight man and its size is fine if that is the concern. I'd prefer if it was a tiny bit larger, and different grab bar placement would help but it is miles ahead of those showers and curtain on the R-class. Also glad they have the mountable hand-held shower head as that rain type shower head pouring out water a couple of inches above my head is almost claustrophobic. Perhaps because it is so low but I feel like I'm drowning.

I expect you will get square foot dimensions

Thank you YoHoHo. I too am in the camp that the bathtub is useless - give me a big roomy shower any day! Thank you for your reply.

Thank you YoHoHo. I too am in the camp that the bathtub is useless - give me a big roomy shower any day! Thank you for your reply.

Once again, there is a variety of opinions!

I *love* relaxing in a tub on vacation, especially after a long day "out".

Also, a "large" shower area is much preferred by both of us to a cramped on, and the "dreaded shower curtain" is to be avoided whenever possible.

A real treat, not that common, is when there is a large/deep tub, with a direct view of the water.

One can't get that at home in a typical city.

(The only place we've found the above thus far is in the NCL Haven 2BR suites, on Jewel class ships. They might be available elsewhere on NCL, but we haven't found them in the higher category suites, yet.)

Once again, there is a variety of opinions!

I *love* relaxing in a tub on vacation, especially after a long day "out".

Also, a "large" shower area is much preferred by both of us to a cramped on, and the "dreaded shower curtain" is to be avoided whenever possible.

A real treat, not that common, is when there is a large/deep tub, with a direct view of the water.

One can't get that at home in a typical city.

(The only place we've found the above thus far is in the NCL Haven 2BR suites, on Jewel class ships. They might be available elsewhere on NCL, but we haven't found them in the higher category suites, yet.)

Totally agree that there are many opinions. Being a guy that NEVER takes a tub bath but loves a nice big roomy shower I wish they had taken just a bit of space from the bath floor area and/or walk-in closet to do a nice glass enclosed shower - may even with multiple body spray jests - to me that is a real luxury! Maybe if we ever see another new build they will take that into consideration. :D

Funny how things change

Years ago when they were getting ready to build Marina

FDR asked what people would like to see on the new ship

Bathtubs were a big ask

When Marina finally came out ..people complained about the wasted space

cannot please everyone it seems :)

I love the tubs on Marina/Riviera. I can soak in the tub and use the hand shower while DH uses the standup shower to get cleaned up after a long day of touring. I never noticed any difference in the size of the bath or shower between PH and Veranda cabins on those ships, and we are very comfortable in a veranda cabin.

On the R class ships, I've decided we will only cruise in PH cabins because of the small bath/shower in veranda cabins.

I love the tubs on Marina/Riviera. I can soak in the tub and use the hand shower while DH uses the standup shower to get cleaned up after a long day of touring. I never noticed any difference in the size of the bath or shower between PH and Veranda cabins on those ships, and we are very comfortable in a veranda cabin.

On the R class ships, I've decided we will only cruise in PH cabins because of the small bath/shower in veranda cabins.

Not against having the tub in the bathrooms - just wish they had figured out a way to have the showers a bit larger and possibly glass included for a nicer design look.

Not against having the tub in the bathrooms - just wish they had figured out a way to have the showers a bit larger and possibly glass included for a nicer design look.

Glass included where?

do you mean enclosing the tub?:confused:

Glass included where?

do you mean enclosing the tub?:confused:

LHT28 - I was referencing suggesting a glass enclosed shower on any new builds Oceania may do in the future versus the way the showers are inset into the wall and only the shower door being glass - very claustrophobic.

Funny how things change

Years ago when they were getting ready to build Marina

FDR asked what people would like to see on the new ship

Bathtubs were a big ask

When Marina finally came out ..people complained about the wasted space

cannot please everyone it seems :)

I remember during an O update / itinerary talk in Regatta Lounge when they announced there 'likely' would be tubs on Marina. There was a roar of cheers and applause. Feedback like that would definitely put more checkmarks for bathtubs if that was a trial balloon.

So they seem to have done the right thing based on those results. I don't think expressing the opposite view at the time would have been very popular

You are definitely correct about not pleasing everyone, and some never no matter what.

We avoid suites below PH due to the lack of a walk-in closet. Only one person at a time can use the sliding door closet next to the bed.

OT but so agree about the lousy closet access. When I first read OH reviews and pax spoke about the great walk-in closet it meant little to me. Who really wants/needs a walk-in closet.

Turns out I do. It was a great feature; large enough to be a like a small changing room.

LHT28 - I was referencing suggesting a glass enclosed shower on any new builds Oceania may do in the future versus the way the showers are inset into the wall and only the shower door being glass - very claustrophobic.

In the Riviera PH bathroom, the separate shower isn't enclosed by three walls with only a glass door.

The shower is set into a corner. And IIRC, it doesn't just have the other two sides as glass. They've made the "outside" sort of like a faceted face, with something like 3 glass sides, with the middle being the "door".

It has a very "open" feel.

We felt it was a very nice design, also leaving a bit of room in the middle of the bathroom itself.

The "floor plans" online seem to show a similar arrangement, slightly smaller, in the Veranda cabin bathrooms (?).

On the other hand, that partial glass wall on the tub... it would have been nice if it could swing out, as some similar arrangements do in Euro hotels.

Having that fixed made more of an enclosed feel, even though it was glass.

(And in other similar showers with such a glass wall, with or without tubs, it can make it difficult to get the water started and to the right temp without standing mostly right in the water.)

Overall, we thought the Riviera PH was a remarkable use of the space. Given the stated sq ft dimensions, we were expected to feel quite cramped. We didn't, at all.

But it would have been okay even if... because that ship had so many other wonderful places to "be".

The one thing... it would have been nice for that table at the foot of the bed to be just a bit larger. We enjoy dining en suite, and that table was just a bit too small, even course by course.

We are just waiting for some appealing itineraries with Riviera or Marina at times we can travel.

We loved the Riviera, given "everything".

(Without a tub? That *would* be a problem, and Oceania seems to be heading that direction, with fewer choices.)

I don't find them confining with the glass door but if you do may as well take advantage of having that unused bathtub and have your shower there as a previous poster reported. It has a small glass panel mounted to reduce spraying water all over and so no shower curtain,

There is a drain in the bathroom floor too, so not unlike a shower in an Italian bathroom :)

Enjoy your CC handle BTW, evokes the Rat Pack days.

OT but so agree about the lousy closet access. When I first read OH reviews and pax spoke about the great walk-in closet it meant little to me. Who really wants/needs a walk-in closet.

Turns out I do. It was a great feature; large enough to be a like a small changing room.

I think this helped with that surprising sense of "space" we felt in the PH.

There wasn't any need to open closet doors and step back, etc.

As for the dressing room, yes. Convenient.

And someone here on CC related a really amusing story about how the Butler started to enter the suite, and she was changing, and she managed to shut the closet door fast. Apparently as the Butler was leaving, after bidding adieu to the husband, as he was at the suite door (immediately by that closet door), he politely said something like, "Good evening, Madam," as he exited.

:D

Ok got it now

I did not find the showers claustrophobic in the veranda cabins

some people do not like small spaces though

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest issue I had with the Veranda showers was the low headroom. I'm only 5'10 and my head was right up against the showerhead. I overheard another lady complain to the concierge because her husband was taller than 6'.

We didn't use the bathtub for baths at all even though we thought we might prior to booking. We tried using it once to shower, but there is no way to close the back of the shower so you end up getting water everywhere if you try to shower in the tub. We mainly used the tub only for the clothesline to dry our bathing suits. I preferred the waterfall overhead shower anyways, there just wasn't enough headroom for men.

We only used the tub for 2 reasons. To hang damp clothes and to request fresh towels.

It's a safety issue as much as anything. When we reach a certain age with wonky knees, hips, backs and balance, getting in and out of tubs with inadequate handholds is a health hazard. Showers are safer every rime. Hotels all over Europe need to learn this lesson.