Inside cabin on Riviera/Marina

wren777

Hi, new member here. Just took our second Alaska cruise on Oceania Regatta and are considering a Mediterranean cruise in October 2018 on Riviera or Marina.

We plan to book inside G or F cabin and from the photos and descriptions, we're not sure of the storage space. Is there plenty of closet (for hanging clothes) and drawer space? There was an amazing amount of storage space on Regatta in G class.

Many thanks!

Lisa

Having done a couple of Mediterranean cruises in inside cabins on Riviera, I would say there was more than enough storage for us. Bear in mind these were warm weather cruises of 7 nights during Sep one time and then couple years later in October. So we had limited ourselves to mostly lightweight clothing and went home with some unworn clothes. Would book inside again on a port intensive warm weather cruise on Oceania.

We almost always book inside cabins (big as well as small ships) and other than having no windows/verandas, they're great. Like other cruise ships I've been on, the pull-out shelf space is a bit limited if you bring a lot of clothing - and I believe it's same in all non-suite rooms. However, the closet has a lot of space (same closet as the ones in veranda cabins, I think). If you need more hangers, just ask your room attendant.

Many thanks to you both! Alas, we checked availability for several Mediterranean cruises in October 2018 on Marina & Riviera, and the lowest 4 cabin categories were already waitlisted. We were surprised they booked up so far in advance, as we haven't had that problem with our 2 Alaska cruises. So we will be on the lookout for the fall 2019 schedule and book immediately.

Can either of you comment on the size of Horizons on Riviera and Marina? We really enjoyed spending time in Horizons (spectacular views with all the glass windows) on Regatta, but it doesn't look like Horizons on the larger ships is any bigger than on Regatta, and with twice as many passengers we're wondering if it's jam-packed all the time. There were times on Regatta where you could not get a seat in Horizons, and in fact it's been so crowded there lately that they have moved afternoon tea into the Grand Dining Room.

Not directly related to OP's question, but perhaps something that could be important: While the inside cabins in the smaller R ships have a sofa, the insides on Riviera and Marina do not have a sofa and the square footage is actually less. We did one sailing inside on Marina and only book Category C and above on the larger ships now. YMMV.

Having said that, we are currently on Insignia in an F Inside and found a side benefit of this room was the darkness for sleeping on the first 11 nights when it stayed light ALL night in the Iceland and Greenland areas.

Enjoy your next cruise...wherever you book.

WilliDC, you point out something that we noticed when looking at the brochure photos of G inside cabins on the smaller ships vs. the larger Marina & Riviera. Although the G inside cabins on Regatta were quite small, the design of the room is actually pretty ingenious, and every square inch of space is utilized well IMO. We enjoyed the small sofa. On our recent Alaska cruise, we booked a G cabin and were put in a handicap-accessible room which is considered a G class ... and were shocked to find no sofa, and only one chair to sit in. We had to request an additional chair be brought in so that one of us didn't have to sit on the bed. But a plus was the MUCH larger bathroom (even though there was only a tub/shower combination which required a fairly big step-up to get in the tub and I have no idea how someone in a wheelchair would manage that).

We have a hard time sleeping if there is any light in our room, so that's another reason we book inside cabins as they are totally dark.

The brochure shows that the s.f. of G cabins on the larger ships is 174 s.f. and 160 on the smaller, so I'm surprised that you found the larger ships' G class to actually be smaller. I wish they had a small sofa in G class on the larger ships.

Thanks for your reply.

We noticed after booking an E Category on Nautica one time that there was no sofa there either and that was probably the smallest room we would have had. But we caught it quickly enough to make a change.

I don't have a brochure with me, but remember that the glass table in the Marina Inside we had was much larger than the table in our R ship Inside room. We tried to rearrange the traffic pattern in the room to improve the flow, but we were not successful. We kept bumping into that large table when we were both up and about.

As you noted, the design and use of space on the R ship Insides is ingenious.