Oosterdam for teens

CherylFP

We're looking at a Mediterranean cruise on July 11th 2018 and have four grandchildren aged 11, 13, 13 and 15. Will there be enough for them to do? Is the HAL club good? Is there an ice cream bar? Is the solarium adults only? I would really appreciate any comments and feedback on this ship. We were going to go on Vision of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, but its sold out. I think the Oosterdam might be nicer for the adults but maybe not so good for the teens. There are only two sea days out of 12 days. Many thanks everyone.

We're looking at a Mediterranean cruise on July 11th 2018 and have four grandchildren aged 11, 13, 13 and 15. Will there be enough for them to do? Is the HAL club good? Is there an ice cream bar? Is the solarium adults only? I would really appreciate any comments and feedback on this ship. We were going to go on Vision of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, but its sold out. I think the Oosterdam might be nicer for the adults but maybe not so good for the teens. There are only two sea days out of 12 days. Many thanks everyone.

I have never meet any youth who were not thrilled to spend most of their time in Club HAL. Teens make friends form all over the world while on board. Here is a link to typical Club HAL activities (sorry, none from med cruises):

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/holland-america-lines-kids-activities-examples/

You can get ice cream in the Lido area -- there are 2 sides but both alternate their open times.

There isn't a solarium on the Oosterdam.

There is the Thermo Pool -- you have to buy passes for it. Adults only. You can call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to get passes for the entire cruise or you can wait until you are on the ship where if there are still passes left, you might get a discount.

I've just been advised by our travel agent that Holland America are typically 65+ year old passengers. The cruise I am looking at is in the July school holidays so I'm hoping for teens on board. Any comments would be most appreciated.

I only have about 110 nights on HAL, total of less the a dozen tean's / kids.

Having fun in the pool is frowned upon. Bothers the floaters,

Port Intensive, good, run them wild on the streets Probably find the HAL tours tough.

Club HAL staff looks good, might have a 1-1 ratio

You might find eating dinner at the Lido more comfortable then "formal" dinning. (maybe not).

I've just been advised by our travel agent that Holland America are typically 65+ year old passengers. The cruise I am looking at is in the July school holidays so I'm hoping for teens on board. Any comments would be most appreciated.

I have been cruising with HAL since my mid-forties, and am now in my late fifties. The shorter itineraries that take place during school holidays will have multi-generational families on board, just like yours. Your itinerary is very port-intensive, with full days in each port. Your teens will have plenty of wonderful opportunities to explore some very interesting cities. How fortunate they are that you are taking them there!:) What nice grand-parents you are!