Artist's Loft on Marina

joyous

I've been watching to see if anyone posted about the artist's loft on Marina. I was interested to see what goes on , especially in watercolor and needlepoint. Have any of you participated? Thanks, Joyous

On the first two cruises the artists were a father and son pair -- the father did watercolor, pencil drawing, charcoal drawing and acrylic. The son was an excellent photographer who offered such courses as night photography, using an external flash, and much more. He also tried to gear it towards those with point and shoot cameras, but obviously those with more sophisticated cameras received more benefit. Betsy took most of the art classes except acrylic, and discovered that charcoal is definitely not her medium, but she really enjoyed watercolor. In fact, during the one day away from the ship we had on Feb 4, we stopped at a Michaels Craft store and she purchased her own beginning watercolor supplies, then spent a little time at each port doing watercolor postcards of the local scenery.

On the Maiden voyage, Kaye (TKS) worked with the cruise director staff to offer a self-guided fabric arts challenge. There was a fair amount of interest but only a few regular participants because many were doing needlework at the morning coffee chats. Kaye has some really good ideas about carrying on such efforts on future cruises. I hope she'll comment...

...It's interesting that they have someone doing cloth arts, and I'd love to hear more about it from someone on board. I know they had purchased cutting boards, and there was discussion of rotary fabric cutters and other equipment.

The artist loft is one of those unique offerings that sets Marina apart and justifies her larger size.

Don, I'm so glad Betsy went forward with her watercolor painting. We had so much fun, and she was really good! Tell her I also purchased the watercolor materials, but guess I'll just have to satisfy myself with Santa Fe sunrises and sunsets until my next cruise (Poor baby!???!). I'm excited O has put a fiber artist onboard, as you state!

My comment about the art loft is that it is a promising venue, but was a work in progress on our maiden voyage. Not all the supplies were yet onboard, so we all worked with what we had. I believe the lighting in the room needs "tweaking"- a large window is covered by fixed, half open shutters, and the recessed "can" lighting in the ceiling provides mostly "puddles" of light. The tables and chairs are adequate and comfortable, with space for about 25 people at a time. The space was a bit too "sterile" for my taste, very organized and neat, but with not a lot of inspiration around us. (If you saw my studio you'd find photos, sketches and supplies out and available to be picked up whenever I find inspiration and time.) Supplies are locked up and the room was only attended by the "keymaster" during organized class times, which I believe is unfortunate because there was a great deal of interest among passengers (see below). There are individual storage cubbyholes for students work along one wall (many very talented people on our voyage!), and instructors are onboard. During our cruise a painter and a photographer were in attendance, but we are told the art media and the instructors will change from time to time. The instructors had an overhead projector available and used it for teaching, as well as providing hands-on assistance. The classes were offered in short series, with no fee during our trip for either classes or materials. I don't know about future cruises, but my impression is they intend to keep the classes gratis. Classes followed a logical progression through the cruise and were offered morning and afternoon, with some evening classes by the photographer. One could drop in and join any class on a "first come, first served" basis, except for a couple which required early sign-up so the instructors could prepare the space and materials. For most classes the room was filled to capacity, so get there early to claim your seat!

Two of us CC'ers offered a fiber/fabric challenge on our CC roll-call thread, and part of the challenge was to bring some of our own materials to share, based on a stated "inspiration." Not all the supplies we'd arranged with O to have on board were available when we boarded (throughout the maiden voyage things kept magically appearing from the hold all around the ship), so we waited a few days for our first meeting. Ultimately, some of our supplies didn't make it onboard, and because we waited we ended up scheduled at the same time as the needlepoint group (that was held in Horizons), so we were a small, but dedicated, group. Several of the needlepoint folks stopped by and expressed interest, but I certainly understand their dedication to the endeavor they had already undertaken. No matter, we "did our own thing." Cruise Director Leslie John was very helpful, getting us scheduled in the art loft and "plugging" us every day in the Currents daily calendar and on his morning tv show, and he stopped by several times during the cruise to see how we were doing. We shared the supplies we had brought, shared the supplies available to us in the art loft and improvised the things we did not have. After all, finding a way to make something interesting from what's available at hand is really the definition of art. We had a grand time, and I was inspired by the creativity and energy of the others in the group. My thanks to all who joined!

My discussions with the O representative as we were setting up our fiber challenge before the cruise revealed O has a general, broad plan for the art loft, but it is a work in progress, and they are depending on us, the passengers, to give them feedback and ideas as well. Therefore, I hope others who enjoyed the art loft, and would like to see its use continued and expanded will let O know their thoughts.

Almost every time I looked in the `Loft`it was busy. Though I have not YET joined a watercolour class, this is a great offering Oceania is providing. Based on its apparent popularity it is well appreciated.

On a previous cruises they had painting sessions but not a formalized space such as this. I heard that Jacques Pepin joined in. He and Gloria, his wife and a chef in her own right, was on board and gave a couple of cooking demonstrations though his focus was more on simply speaking with the audience - the interaction with with the audience was very entertaining. It would have been great to see how he approaches a blank sheet of paper especially having seen (just on the internet) some of his art.

TKS you have some very good observations and thoughts on how this Artist`s Loft space can be improved and used. I hope O hears your comments.

The Fabric Arts Challenge was a great idea despite the technical difficulties of this first time event and I hope it gets carried on.

I love the art classes on Crystal most of the time. I don't like clay work. I have zero talent but lots of enthusiasm and plan to try the art works etc on Marina. I hope someone suggests silk painting (scarves are what I did) and that is tons of fun. I also enjoy needlepoint. Do they supply the canvas, yarn, etc. or did you bring your own?? I am really looking forward to trying it all out. Thanks, all of you, for the sharing of information and pictures. That was just great. joyous

Do they supply the canvas, yarn, etc. or did you bring your own?? joyous

O provides kits and instruction, as well as just an organized time to work and ask questions. Kits range from a small scissors case to a makeup kit size.

• 4 years later...

Hi.

The Artist Loft program sounds like fun. We're leaving June 3, 2015 on Marina's Nordic Exploration voyage. I'd love to know:

1.)... if a pre-cruise schedule of activities is available.

2.)... how the registration is handled.

3.)... a ballpark idea of the costs involved.

4.)... or where I can find Marina's Artist Loft info for myself.

Thanks in advance to any fellow cruiser who answers.

--pam

Hi.

The Artist Loft program sounds like fun. We're leaving June 3, 2015 on Marina's Nordic Exploration voyage. I'd love to know:

1.)... if a pre-cruise schedule of activities is available. available in your cabin

2.)... how the registration is handled. first come first in

3.)... a ballpark idea of the costs involved. free

4.)... or where I can find Marina's Artist Loft info for myself.

Thanks in advance to any fellow cruiser who answers.

--pam

Get there an hour early & stake your spot

there is limited space

I think they should have a reservation system so others will get a chance to try the courses

JMO

Edited by LHT28

Get there an hour early & stake your spot

there is limited space

I think they should have a reservation system so others will get a chance to try the courses

JMO

I agree.....always there too late, with my face pressed up against the window pane.....(Sounds like a good lyric for a song.):rolleyes:

My wife and I returned last month from the French Polynesia cruise on Marina that ended (for us) in Lima. We participated in the artist loft classes. When we got on-board, one of our wanderings around the ship led us to the Artist Loft area. There were clipboards out on the table for folks to sign up for the classes. On this particular cruise, there were at least 8 separate classes, all doing the same art project.

We worked with glass plates and created an image on the back using paint and various drip and dab and other techniques. Part 2 was to apply a background color. For part 3, we applied a sealer.

It was fun but the classes were very large (all 8 sessions were full with at least 20+ people in each class) and I thought they were pretty short. But I enjoyed it and would love to do it again when we're next on this ship.

Ron

My wife and I returned last month from the French Polynesia cruise on Marina that ended (for us) in Lima. We participated in the artist loft classes. When we got on-board, one of our wanderings around the ship led us to the Artist Loft area. There were clipboards out on the table for folks to sign up for the classes. On this particular cruise, there were at least 8 separate classes, all doing the same art project.

Ron

Nice to know they now have a sign up list so others can enjoy the classes not just early arrivals

That is the way it should have been all along

I will make sure to go check them out now

Lyn

Nice to know they now have a sign up list so others can enjoy the classes not just early arrivals

That is the way it should have been all along

I will make sure to go check them out now

Lyn

As long as no one can sign up for more than one class, I agree with you.

Most important is that more different people attend classes than that anyone can sign up for numerous classes before others get the opportunity to sign up for one.

As long as no one can sign up for more than one class, I agree with you.

Most important is that more different people attend classes than that anyone can sign up for numerous classes before others get the opportunity to sign up for one.

Maybe they need to do like the Specialties book in advance online :D

Maybe they need to do like the Specialties book in advance online :D

I don't think there are enough slots for them to do that. The main point I want to make is that no one should be able to sign up to attend two classes (online or on the ship) before others have been able to attend even one class.

Plus, I don't think late cruise bookers should be penalized by being unable to attend since they did not sign up online, so I guess I would not like to see it as one more thing someone can book online in advance.

I can't draw or paint to save my life, so my favorite class at the Loft involved making small things out of fabric pieces and trims. The instructor was Anna and her husband (David, I think) was a photographer who did photography workshops.