3 people in cabin - sleeping arrangement?

teony20

Hi,

My husband and I, with our young adult daughter are planning on a cruise on the Marina. I understand the rooms with the pull out sofa for the 3rd passenger are comfortable? Any input?

We haven't tried this so obviously I cannot guess about the comfort of the sofa bed since we never used one.

But you have to consider the "comfort" level of three people in a room meant for two, EVEN if it is one of the larger suites (I mean OC, VS or OS). At least in the top suites there is a second bathroom (not always a full bath with a shower) but living in such close quarters could be awkward.

It also depends on the age of the third person, I suppose!

Mura

My husband and I, with our young adult daughter are planning on a cruise on the Marina. I understand the rooms with the pull out sofa for the 3rd passenger are comfortable? Any input

The mattress is comfortable on those sleeper sofas, but I would not recommend sharing a cabin with an adult child.

veranda-stateroom.jpg There is zero privacy for three, and storage for three sets of clothing, plus miscellany is problematic. To begin with there is absolutely no room for a separate nightstand for the passenger who sleeps on the sofa.

Marina-Veranda-Stateroom-Floor-Plan1-1024x460.jpg

The veranda is VERY tough to access with the sofa bed open, and with the coffee table and desk chair moved to make room for the bed to be opened, nobody can take three clear steps until the bed is closed again.

penthouse-suite.jpg

In a Suite (the photo above is a Penthouse) three people would be more comfortable, but you would still only have one bathroom.

I suppose that my best suggestion would be to invite a friend of your daughters' along (even if you have to ask her to chip in with at least part of her fare), and put them into the nearest available inside cabin, which are cute little havens for two young people (Oceania will happily set it up with two twin beds).

oceania-cruises_marina_CABIN_9800.jpg

Your daughter will have a built in chum to be with, and if you choose to

invite "the kids" over to your room to share breakfast, or better yet, cocktails on your veranda, it will have the feeling of a party, not a dormitory.

Last thought: Family is everything, but all of you will have a far less stressful trip if you and your husband can close a door and have a little private time on your Anniversary Cruise ;)

Edited by StanandJim

We are in the same situation. Our adult daughter is coming with us in a B1. Yes it will be tight but we will manage. After all, as people keep reminding us you usually only sleep in he room.. We just sailed on one of the smaller ships in an A1 and there was plenty of space ( A's and B's are the same size ) Have a great time and don't worry !

We are in the same situation. Our adult daughter is coming with us in a B1. Yes it will be tight but we will manage. After all, as people keep reminding us you usually only sleep in he room.. We just sailed on one of the smaller ships in an A1 and there was plenty of space ( A's and B's are the same size ) Have a great time and don't worry !

The issues are much greater than you think first is storage... is designed for 2,

The bathroom for only 1. Then what may appear possible for a day or so begins to as the days go by.. getting dressed and showered..evertry to dress in the bathroom?? Getting ready for bed, , Changing for dinner or the pool, It sounds good in theory that you only sleep in the room but inreality you do a lot more.Otherwise simple

things will take many hours

It will be a real test on everybody.....good luck

I would take Jim and Stan's advice... get an inside or a upper suite with 2 bathrooms and a seperiate sleeping dressing area.

We are in the same situation. Our adult daughter is coming with us in a B1. Yes it will be tight but we will manage.

We have friends who have sailed with their adult daughter in the tiny (but perfect) cabins on deck 4 on the Paul Gauguin. It worked well for them.

It wouldn't work well for ME (or DH either) but I can accept that it can work for others. You just need to be aware of the limited space. If that's okay with you for a short period of time, then by all means use your own judgment!

Mura

We just were in a Concierge Veranda cabin for 2. We felt very constrained for us. I admit I pack heavy but we just got enough clothing in the closets and drawers. In Alaska - it's cold - meaning more clothes of the sweater variety.

I cannot imagine 3 - absolutely no privacy.

In reading through this thread I am reminded of the time (way back in Renaissance days) when we were thinking of taking my mother on a cruise with us and I inquired of the line whether the OS would be better for us or two separate rooms and I was told the latter was a better choice.

Now, the more cynical amongst us may say that's because they get more revenue out of two rooms than one, even if that one is an OS. But the reasoning was that the second bathroom is only a half-bath and sleeping in the living room for the third person is not so comfortable. (If you knew my mother you would know that for someone who could spend an hour getting ready to go out, that half-bath would not have worked!)

The one time we were in an OS on Regatta, I agreed with the advice we'd received. And that is a much larger cabin than what the OP is asking about.

Mura

I've surfed on the coach twice in two Celebrity cruises. It's really not that bad, and of course it all depends how comfortable one is with one's family.

The first cruise, it was our first to Alaska, so no clue what we were doing, but the three of us in one cabin was not an issue at all. In fact our other traveling companions comprised of my sister-in-law, her daughter and her daughter's boyfriend who took the couch, and they survived intact.

The second cruise was two years ago in the Caribbean, and again it was not a problem and in fact due to my parents' age, I had to be in the cabin with them.

Again, it's all about personal comfort.

In reading through this thread I am reminded of the time (way back in Renaissance days) when we were thinking of taking my mother on a cruise with us and I inquired of the line whether the OS would be better for us or two separate rooms and I was told the latter was a better choice.

Now, the more cynical amongst us may say that's because they get more revenue out of two rooms than one, even if that one is an OS. But the reasoning was that the second bathroom is only a half-bath and sleeping in the living room for the third person is not so comfortable. (If you knew my mother you would know that for someone who could spend an hour getting ready to go out, that half-bath would not have worked!)

The one time we were in an OS on Regatta, I agreed with the advice we'dreceived. And that is a much larger cabin than what the OP is asking about.

Mura

We did this in the days of Renaissance with our 20 something daughter. We were in an OS and it was perfect for the three of us. I could not however ever do this in a regular cabin which is too small even for the two of us.

I guess you'd have to have known my mother to know why it wouldn't have worked with her! But I completely agree with "different strokes for different folks".

When we traveled with a woman friend through the U.S. on road trips we fairly frequently had accommodations for three people. Usually this meant that Sisse might have to walk through our sleeping area to get to the bathroom, but it worked okay for us. (Better for us than for her, I fear, but she didn't complain.)

Mura

Hey all

upcoming cruise Riviera august 19

cabin 7075 intentional for 3 they say

parents with 6 years old kid

any experience on that?

Thanks in advance

For parents and a prepubescent child, the Ocean-view Cabins are commodious enough , which is perfect because you will necessarily be spending a great deal of time with that child on an Oceania Cruise.

Are you aware that there won't be any children's programs?

Edited by StanandJim

For parents and a prepubescent child, the Ocean-view Cabins are commodious enough , which is perfect because you will necessarily be spending a great deal of time with that child on an Oceania Cruise.

Are you aware that there won't be any children's programs?

Yes JIM we know about the children's program,or the lack of it.

But we are going with 5 ( two cabins )parents and greatparents ( baby sitters )

We have invited the family for my birthday.

This will be their first cruise.

We are big fans of O ( 5 cruises )but never had a 3 persons cabine.

Thanks for your concern.

G.

Yes JIM we know about the children's program,or the lack of it.

But we are going with 5 ( two cabins )parents and greatparents ( baby sitters )

We have invited the family for my birthday.

This will be their first cruise.

We are big fans of O ( 5 cruises )but never had a 3 persons cabine.

Thanks for your concern.

G.

Well, I certainly offer my best wishes for what must be a significant birthday if the whole family is coming along.....:D

In my defense, when I saw that you were from Belgium and that you had posted less than twenty times, my first thought was to ask how familiar you were with the Oceania product. I'll know better, the next time.

Back to your original question: just as passengers who have sailed on any of the (smaller) R ships often find the layout of the Marina and Riviera almost "familiar"; if you've ever sailed in a double cabin which was large enough to include a sofa (only the very smallest, don't) then you already have a very good idea of what you'll be getting in Ocean-view triple 7075.

The "extra space" in the cabins of the larger ships is concentrated largely in the bathrooms.

Edited by StanandJim

Well, I certainly offer my best wishes for what must be a significant birthday if the whole family is coming along.....:D

In my defense, when I saw that you were from Belgium and that you had posted less than twenty times, my first thought was to ask how familiar you were with the Oceania product. I'll know better, the next time.

Back to your original question: just as passengers who have sailed on any of the (smaller) R ships often find the layout of the Marina and Riviera almost "familiar"; if you've ever sailed in a double cabin which was large enough to include a sofa (only the very smallest, don't) then you already have a very good idea of what you'll be getting in Ocean-view triple 7075.

The "extra space" in the cabins of the larger ships is concentrated largely in the bathrooms.

Good afternoon Jim

Here in Antwerp Belguim its 4 pm

Once in a live time you get 70,and none of us is promised tomorrow,so NOW is the time.So thanks for Your best wishes,i can use it.

We have sailed with the 5 ships of Oceania,and in my opinion Riviera is the best.

My concern was is a sofa comfortable enough for a child to sleep on,and is it made up every night?

Regards

G

My concern was is a sofa comfortable enough for a child to sleep on,and is it made up every night?

The Sofa bed mattresses are very comfortable, particularly for a person the size of a child.

As I've stated in my earlier posts in this thread, it is a tight fit with the Sofa bed open, so most people prefer to have that third bed converted back into a sofa, every day.

Alternatively, if your child is young and small enough to sleep on the sofa nightly without converting it into a bed, then you will have much more room to get around the cabin through the night.

Meilleurs voeux d'anniversaire

WE HAD 3 IN A CABIN ON NAUTICA IN A B2 CABIN. iT WAS TIGHT BUT OK. YOU CAN REQUEST AN EXTRA BEDPAD/FOAM CRATE TYPE OF PAD FOR EXTRA COMFORT BUT THEN THE SOFA WILL NOT CLOSE UP DURING THE DAY. WE WOULD FLIP UP THE LOWER PART OF THE MATTRESS SO WE COULD ACCESS THE BALCONY BUT COULD NOT USE THE SOFA TO SIT ON. WE SURVIVED AND ARE ALL STILL FRIENDS.

Perhaps the answer here is that for three adults in a cabin meant for two, you decide what your budget is and how well you will get along in close quarters. (I wouldn't worry where the third person is a young child at all!)

For me, it would be preferable to have separate cabins for three adults ... but that's ME. I like my space. That's why I usually book a larger cabin to begin with (usually a PH but very occasionally higher up).

It's really up to the individuals to decide. I'm not saying it's a question that shouldn't be asked! It's no doubt easier to decide what you want to do when you see all the various answers your question elicits.

It's probably easier on Marina or Riviera than on the "R" ships to accommodate three adults in a cabin, but it certainly isn't impossible ... depending on the people involved.

Mura