Smoking on Balconies

thebts

I'm intrigued by the idea that compensation should be expected because of the bad behaviour of one passenger affecting the enjoyment of another.

Not minimizing the infraction of smoking where prohibited (which should not be tolerated and addressed with vigor), I am curious if I should have expected compensation for the loud boisterous people next to me who chortled and used course language for vast periods of time that prevented me from enjoying my balcony for quiet relaxation?

Although the underlying issue isnt the offending party was violating a policy, should one expect to be compensated if another guest negatively impacts their enjoyment?

Since one instance involves Oceania failing to enforce its own stated policy and the other does not, I don't have a problem with Oceania having a different response to the two situations.

Nevertheless, good business practice suggests that situations that are covered more by our social contract with one another than by actual regulations ought to be addressed, too. If the issue is one of peace and quiet outdoors, Oceania could offer the "injured" party unlimited access to the private Spa Terrace. Even if the remedy offered by Oceania doesn't directly solve the problem, simply doing something can go a long way in calming anger.

People want to feel valued. When you can purchase the same brand of clothes at a half dozen different stores, there's a reason sales people write thank you notes to customers after purchases. There's a reason why stores hold "Friends and Family" sale events. (The discount isn't necessarily bigger than the discounts at public sales throughout the year.) There's a reason why Time Warner is willing to discount the existing rate when we return from our snowbird place and re-activate our internet and television account. Little things build customer loyalty.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Since one instance involves Oceania failing to enforce its own stated policy and the other does not, I don't have a problem with Oceania having a different response to the two situations.

Nevertheless, good business practice suggests that situations that are covered more by our social contract with one another than by actual regulations ought to be addressed, too. If the issue is one of peace and quiet outdoors, Oceania could offer the "injured" party unlimited access to the private Spa Terrace. Even if the remedy offered by Oceania doesn't directly solve the problem, simply doing something can go a long way in calming anger.

People want to feel valued. When you can purchase the same brand of clothes at a half dozen different stores, there's a reason sales people write thank you notes to customers after purchases. There's a reason why stores hold "Friends and Family" sale events. (The discount isn't necessarily bigger than the discounts at public sales throughout the year.) There's a reason why Time Warner is willing to discount the existing rate when we return from our snowbird place and re-activate our internet and television account. Little things build customer loyalty.

Clearly customer loyalty is not a priority for Oceania. And neither is the safety of its passengers who are permitted to smoke on balconies without fear of getting caught. It seems they will only take positive action after a fire results from careless smoking. Until then, passengers beware.

Clearly customer loyalty is not a priority for Oceania. And neither is the safety of its passengers who are permitted to smoke on balconies without fear of getting caught. It seems they will only take positive action after a fire results from careless smoking. Until then, passengers beware.

Im sorry, that is an absurd statement to make as you know of only one instance on one O ship..since you did not even ask during the 4 days you were waiting..how is it you know they were not trying to find the smoker..I do understand your frustration but to say Oceania is not interested in the safety of their passengers simply is not true..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

Call me what you will, I am indeed a zealot when it comes to smokers breaking the rules. While they have every right to smoke within the set rules, guidelines and laws which are now commonplace in the USA and other developed countries, they DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to pollute my lungs. My mother had COPD, my children are asthmatic, and I am highly allergic to smoke, toxins and pollutants. I have a right to live and your addiction does not trump that. This is not political and I can be your friend. But YOU must respect my lungs!

If I choose to travel to a country that is predominantly a smoking culture, I must take my chances. But, when it is clearly a case of feeling that WE "non-smokers" are "zealots" who need a dose of " in your face," then I will fight you tooth and nail, relentlessly until MY rights to breathe fresh air are victorious. I would not have put up with a smoker anywhere in my vicinity, and I would have been so in the face of management, corporate or not, until they took responsibility for my comfort and safety that I would have to be dragged off the ship kicking and screaming for justice! And, then, I would sue!

Listen up, O, do not let your staff get away with so many instances of neglect to follow through with your own safety regulations! This is now in print and you make yourself liable for huge losses should there be one fire onboard due to a smoker who was reported and NOTHING was done!

I think you missed I don't smoke..........

But I rest my case.....take a deep breath..relax

By the way Hawaii some of the worst air pollution going one reason I left

Im sorry, that is an absurd statement to make as you know of only one instance on one O ship..since you did not even ask during the 4 days you were waiting..how is it you know they were not trying to find the smoker..I do understand your frustration but to say Oceania is not interested in the safety of their passengers simply is not true..

Jancruz1

Absurd is too kind. Disappointment is one thing; making rash accusations based on one incident is another. One wonders if this was the attitude taken on board; I really would like to hear the other side of the story...

I find this whole thing off base. Oceania is being racked over the coals for not caring about safety or enforcing their policy. Some said they did not try hard enough. Others said why did they not throw the person off of the ship. Some want money. The OP said they could not find the source of the smell. To me it sounds they did the best they could, they even moved the OP. How could they throw someone off that they can not find. Maybe the smell was not from smoking. One person felt they should of checked each room. If they had wanted to check my room for compliance to a smoking policy I would of been really upset. IMO once you leave you home and move to a public place like a hotel or cruise ship you can not totally control the environment and things can happen, you can not expect money for every problem. If I want 100% control of my life I stay in my house.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Jancruz and hondorner: Could not agree more. This is definitely an anomaly - do not recall ever reading about smoking on a balcony on an Oceania ship. Oceania cares very much for all of its' passengers and crew ..... to think otherwise is ludicrous.

You can strain your back jumping to conclusions like this!

This is an absurd conclusion based on your anecdotal (note, I did not disregard your experience, but it is JUST THAT!) experience. I have seen O taking duly diligent safety measures onboard many, many times.

I have also seen the extreme measures they take to cultivate customer loyalty.

Have fun on whatever line you choose next. I wish you - and them - well.

Donna

I think you missed I don't smoke..........

But I rest my case.....take a deep breath..relax

By the way Hawaii some of the worst air pollution going one reason I left

1. I did not miss that you do not smoke.

2. My response was to those of us who are proactive being referred to as zealots, as if to make us the villains here.

3. Honolulu is as urban and objectionable to me as any big city; Most of the islands suffer from volcanic smog (vog), but not where I reside. Our situation is ideal, with onshore or tradewinds that blow the vog directly north to Maui and Oahu.

4. I breathe just fine and I relax wonderfully after a day of art, tennis or golf, thank you for caring! No huhu

You can strain your back jumping to conclusions like this!

This is an absurd conclusion based on your anecdotal (note, I did not disregard your experience, but it is JUST THAT!) experience. I have seen O taking duly diligent safety measures onboard many, many times.

I have also seen the extreme measures they take to cultivate customer loyalty.

Have fun on whatever line you choose next. I wish you - and them - well.

Donna

+1

Very well put, Donna.

1. I did not miss that you do not smoke.

2. My response was to those of us who are proactive being referred to as zealots, as if to make us the villains here.

3. Honolulu is as urban and objectionable to me as any big city; Most of the islands suffer from volcanic smog (vog), but not where I reside. Our situation is ideal, with onshore or tradewinds that blow the vog directly north to Maui and Oahu.

4. I breathe just fine and I relax wonderfully after a day of art, tennis or golf, thank you for caring! No huhu

Kekilia, my question for you is this..Have you even taken an Oceania cruise yet? While you make some very good points, I seem to remember you being so very vocal about O in other posts and I am personally wondering "Why?" you even chose to cruise with O?? It seems as if you are objecting to so many potential problems without even being on any of their ships? Just wondering....have you even set sail yet??

Kekilia, my question for you is this..Have you even taken an Oceania cruise yet? While you make some very good points, I seem to remember you being so very vocal about O in other posts and I am personally wondering "Why?" you even chose to cruise with O?? It seems as if you are objecting to so many potential problems without even being on any of their ships? Just wondering....have you even set sail yet??

First of all, I don't believe if you read all the posts that I have been overly critical of Oceania. Just concerned about issues raised by others. And, when those issues are ones that are very important to me, I post in order to get clarification. I am so excited to cruise with Oceania, I adore the Riviera as described and seen in countless posts and articles other than cc. I look forward to a wonderful experience and have the utmost confidence in my TA and this cruiseline. I am vocal because others are vocal, their issues and concerns are mine. Do I not get a voice until I have paid my money and cruised?

Finally, I would never post an opinion until confirmed by my own, first hand experience. Maybe you are not used to a "vocal" anticipant, but surely I am not the only one. Long timers do not own these boards, and, I must remind you that I respect the voices of reason and experience and, on occasion, have provided mea culpas when shown errors.

So, let it be. Let me anticipate, post, reflect and participate!

First of all, I don't believe if you read all the posts that I have been overly critical of Oceania. Just concerned about issues raised by others. And, when those issues are ones that are very important to me, I post in order to get clarification. I am so excited to cruise with Oceania, I adore the Riviera as described and seen in countless posts and articles other than cc. I look forward to a wonderful experience and have the utmost confidence in my TA and this cruiseline. I am vocal because others are vocal, their issues and concerns are mine. Do I not get a voice until I have paid my money and cruised?

Finally, I would never post an opinion until confirmed by my own, first hand experience. Maybe you are not used to a "vocal" anticipant, but surely I am not the only one. Long timers do not own these boards, and, I must remind you that I respect the voices of reason and experience and, on occasion, have provided mea culpas when shown errors.

I think that it is great that you are spending time to learn about Oceania and can "anticipate", "post", "reflect" and "participate"! IMO, this is a great approach - one that I have used myself so you are definitely not the only one. We also selected the Riviera to be our first Oceania cruise and did not regret it for a minute.

As I posted earlier on this thread, this is not a subject that I have seen on the Oceania board previously and is not something that I would worry about.

Enjoy your research into the world of Oceania:)

I think that it is great that you are spending time to learn about Oceania and can "anticipate", "post", "reflect" and "participate"! IMO, this is a great approach - one that I have used myself so you are definitely not the only one. We also selected the Riviera to be our first Oceania cruise and did not regret it for a minute.

As I posted earlier on this thread, this is not a subject that I have seen on the Oceania board previously and is not something that I would worry about.

Enjoy your research into the world of Oceania:)

Thank you for posting your support! From someone who has posted 16k times on CC, I am impressed with your experience and knowledge. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in allowing me to express myself and look forward to sharing a much anticipated, thoroughly enjoyable cruising experience with you and others on this forum.:D

My problem with zealous anti-smokers is that we were unfairly on the receiving end on the Regatta. My DH was in the shower; I was on the sofa, reading. Phone rings in the cabin & someone accused us of smoking on the balcony and throwing the butts over the railing. We do NOT smoke & do not even allow it in our home. Really unsettling & vicious call that could have sparked some serious investigation. I was dumbstruck at being accused! Rant over but the unfairness of being singled out still rankles.

I guess the lesson here is to make sure you know the facts before accusing someone of anything. I can also see that it can sometimes be difficult to determine just where the smoke and cigarette butts are coming from. It could be from above as well as to the side.

DH and I are non-smokers, never have been, and I would have been equally upset to be accused of something I didn't do.

Mura

Zealots no -- but their rights do infringe on others. Even with the restrictions our last Riviera cruise the Pool deck smelt like a giant ashtray. Image 30 smokers all huddled in a corner with the sea breeze forward to aft. You could smell the smoke in Waves.

Zealots no -- but their rights do infringe on others. Even with the restrictions our last Riviera cruise the Pool deck smelt like a giant ashtray. Image 30 smokers all huddled in a corner with the sea breeze forward to aft. You could smell the smoke in Waves.

The smoking area is poorly located. A better spot would be outside of Baristas on the starboard side. Or even one floor up from where it is would be better.

No matter where it is there is always going to be someone unhappy with the location.

Even with the restrictions our last Riviera cruise the Pool deck smelt like a giant ashtray. Image 30 smokers all huddled in a corner with the sea breeze forward to aft. You could smell the smoke in Waves.

Had a similar experience (on a different cruise line with similar restrictions). Cigarette (and, especially, cigar) smoke doesn't recognize the boundaries between smoking and non-smoking areas.

As for 'zealotry'....I'm happy for those non-smokers able to breathe in smoke without issue or discomfort. Certainly makes life easier. Please recognize that not everyone is in the same boat, so to speak.

Edited by azevedan

Kekilla,

We have discussed Oceania and NCL before I believe nd I do find you very wwilling yo listen and learn which is so refreshing afer spending a short time on the NCL board..nice to see you here, hope to see you on board some day!!

Jancruz1

Kekilla,

We have discussed Oceania and NCL before I believe nd I do find you very wwilling yo listen and learn which is so refreshing afer spending a short time on the NCL board..nice to see you here, hope to see you on board some day!!

Jancruz1

:) thanks, you are one of the posters I look for on these boards...

• 3 weeks later...
Agree... actualy, I found, on my last cruise that the smoking areas where you could always go to meet and converse with some really wonderful , interesting and tolerant people.

On the other hand, I observed some from the "zealots" camp......they seemed a little to tightly wound....they delighted in finding problems with not only smoking, but every other aspect of life, on or off the ship.

ILL TAKE the company of smokers any day of the week.... and I do not smoke

Well said! I am a smoker and have found most enjoyable company in ;the "international lounge" on O and X. What really irks me, though, are the non-smokers who walk through the designated area, crinkle their noses and entire faces and make remarks. Only to be repeated at a later time by the same ones. One would think they would know the smoking area and use another doorway, wouldn't one? ;)