Penthouse or Vista Suite on Riviera

Schmoe38

We are currently booked in PH 7130 for a 10 night Caribbean cruise on Riviera in December of this year. Vista Suite 8003 is available for the same sailing but is double the price. Is it worth considering a switch?

Randy

It has to be if you want to pay. The Vista Suite is so MUCH more than a PH. You get extra perks. In the Caribbean it is not rough so Vista is O.K. I personally would not take Vista where there are strong seas. You will be unbelievable pampered in the Vista Suite. You need to make that decision.

We're on Marina right now in a PH but our last three cruises on Marina were twice in a Vista and once in an OC. There's no question that the extra space in the Vista (as well as the OC) is very desirable. It's so wonderful to have a huge bathroom and separate bedroom not to mention a second bathroom and the larger veranda.

But if it's a financial burden to double the price, I'd say no. If it's not ... I'd recommend the extra space.

My husband was in quarantine yesterday because of a current outbreak of intestinal difficulties (never call it NORO, the ship hasn't) for one day, and it would have been far more pleasant in the larger space.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you!

(That being said, the PH on Marina and Riviera is more than adequate.)

Mura

We're on Marina right now in a PH but our last three cruises on Marina were twice in a Vista and once in an OC. There's no question that the extra space in the Vista (as well as the OC) is very desirable. It's so wonderful to have a huge bathroom and separate bedroom not to mention a second bathroom and the larger veranda.

But if it's a financial burden to double the price, I'd say no. If it's not ... I'd recommend the extra space.

My husband was in quarantine yesterday because of a current outbreak of intestinal difficulties (never call it NORO, the ship hasn't) for one day, and it would have been far more pleasant in the larger space.

Mura

Mura

I understand the balcony on 7130 is the main selling feature for that particular PH. In December I will be 6 months away from retirement so I don't have a problem with the extra money if the experience is that much better. Life is too short to say "I wish I would have."

Randy

Mura

Hi Mura

Sorry to mention in my previous post...hope your husband is feeling better.

Randy

I too am sorry to hear about Not-Noro on board. I too wish your husband well.

We were in 7130 on Riviera. The suite is lovely - the balcony spectacular. I would not take that suite though unless it was a lovely warm sunny cruise. It is smaller than the standard penthouse. We had the table at the foot of the bed and the chairs removed since you cannot eat and pass by - it's narrower than the standard cabin.

We had it for the Ocean Crossing and weather did not permit us to sit out and use the balcony. The space for the closet is reduced as is the bureau space in the closet. Very little hanging room for clothes (and I am an over-packer type)

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

We are currently booked in PH 7130 for a 10 night Caribbean cruise on Riviera in December of this year. Vista Suite 8003 is available for the same sailing but is double the price. Is it worth considering a switch?

Randy

b_140811.jpg

It's almost an apples to oranges comparison. I love the Penthouses on the O class ships, but 7130 (see above) is in essence a hotel room with a spectacular balcony, whereas 8003 (below) is a full fledged apartment with a veranda, -and views to match- right out of an MGM musical.

b_133416.jpg

imagejpg1_zpse1b7f5a7.jpg

The use of space in the Vista Suites is lavish, the master bathroom in 8003 will be half the size of 7130!

IMG_2252-300x400.jpg

Edited by StanandJim

I would second, or third, maybe that's fourth (!), take the Vista Suite .. However, in saying that we loved the PH on the Riviera also, which we had for a Transatlantic.

We enjoyed tremendously our Vista 8003 in the Med last year. It was simply glorious sailing into ports and in fact we made good use of that wonderful verandah. I think one of those photos posted by Stan and Jim is very familiar to me with the backdrop of the French Riviera! ;):D

I did post some other photos on another thread - I'll see if I can find it for you and post the link.

Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2142882&page=2#

Edited by fairbourne
Add a link

As long as you don't mind that you cannot use your verandah while the ship is moving lest you be blown off the Vista suite offers so much more space. Personally, I love the PHs and would do tow cruises in a PH as opposed to one in the Vista, mostly because of the wind issue.

As long as you don't mind that you cannot use your verandah while the ship is moving lest you be blown off the Vista suite offers so much more space. Personally, I love the PHs and would do tow cruises in a PH as opposed to one in the Vista, mostly because of the wind issue.

Well I would disagree, we certainly used it whilst underway. You can sit and be sheltered behind the rail. But in saying this we were not doing doing a frisky transatlantic! They do tie the furniture down at night and store the lounge covers, chair pads etc inside, but these are returned in the morning to suit your needs.

We loved being out there when tendered and the views were simply stunning as you can see in the photo.

fairbourne - agree that the veranda is usable during the day - depending upon wind and seas.

We have only sailed Oceania's Riviera twice - once in a PH suite and once in a Vista suite. The PH suite was much better than expected. We even enjoyed sipping champagne and enjoying some munchies on the table in front of the bed. There was something quite romantic about it. I would not hesitate to recommend a PH suite on the Riviera or Marina.

On the other hand, the Vista suite is over the top wonderful. How could it not be? Great place to entertain or to have dinner in your suite. or just sit and watch the sea go by. Lots of room and that second bathroom makes a big difference. The only negative I can think of is a rattling noise that one of the machines in the small workout room made. We would book this suite again if we decided to sail on Oceania.

To the OP, just so you can see the difference in space between one of the aft PH's vs a regular check out this link;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43249656&postcount=17

The post I quoted in that thread also has a link to the aft balcony. As Chatkat said, you are definitely giving up inside room, including closet for the larger balcony.

Edited by ORV

As Chatkat said, you are definitely giving up inside room, including closet for the larger balcony.

Yes, but you guys were on a Transatlantic where the Veranda wasn't as usable as it would be in the Caribbean which is where the OP is cruising...

b_170607.jpg With all that Veranda all to myself in the glorious sunshine, I would seldom venture INSIDE the cabin, personally...

I would second, or third, maybe that's fourth (!), take the Vista Suite .. However, in saying that we loved the PH on the Riviera also, which we had for a Transatlantic.

We enjoyed tremendously our Vista 8003 in the Med last year. It was simply glorious sailing into ports and in fact we made good use of that wonderful verandah. I think one of those photos posted by Stan and Jim is very familiar to me with the backdrop of the French Riviera! ;):D

I did post some other photos on another thread - I'll see if I can find it for you and post the link.

Here it is:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2142882&page=2#

I thought the backdrop was Leslie Jon!

I thought the backdrop was Leslie Jon!

regatta_lesliejon.jpgFor future consideration.....

BINGO!

Leslie Jon is doing his early morning "talk" on the television in the photo above that I posted of Penthouse 7130.

We think that Leslie is the Best Cruise Director in the premium trade today, and "the powers that be" must agree because he has been the first CD of EVERY OCEANIA SHIP since the Line began!

Quite an accomplishment, Mr. John! :D

I find no threads or discussion about the Oceania suites on Riveria. Those who have sailed them, do you have any thoughts about size, location, value, etc? Thanks!

You'll find ten Oceania Suites forward on the Pool Deck (Deck 12) in a fairly rarefied area of the ship, just forward of thew Culinary Center

011711.jpg

-and a further two on Deck 11, at the stern.

How these locations differ, and they do, significantly.

Considering the Cabin only, this is an overview of an Oceania Suite:

012215.jpg although you must take into account that Deck 11 Oceania Suites are slightly smaller than the Deck 12 Suites.

In fact, the Deck 11 Oceania Suites are Bath and a half whereas the Deck 12 Suites boast two full bathrooms.

Another difference is the door from the bedroom to the Veranda in the Deck 12 Oceania Suites, which is a window in the Deck 11 Suites.

b_180133.jpg

A large porthole shaped window in the master bathrooms of the Deck 11 Oceania Suites, provides abundant natural light, whereas the master bathrooms of the deck 12 Suites are entirely interior.

b_170956.jpg

The Deck 11 Oceania Suites have enormous L shaped verandas which wrap around their exterior perimeter walls and overlook the wake.

b_053513.jpg

The Deck 12 Suites make do with the standard "side of the ship" views", and their verandas are simple rectangles which run along the exterior living and bedroom wall.

Value added from booking an Oceania Suite:

-Priority 11 am ship embarkation with priority luggage delivery

-Exclusive card-only access to private Executive Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge, featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day

-24-hour Butler service

-Complimentary in-suite bar setup with 6 full-size bottles of your choice of premium spirits and wines

-Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch private Spa Terrace

-Passengers in Oceania Suites may make advance Specialty Restaurant Reservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

-and are guaranteed, depending on the length of the voyage:

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Whew, this has been a lot, but if I've left out anything that is important to you, please ask!

You'll find ten Oceania Suites forward on the Pool Deck (Deck 12) in a fairly rarefied area of the ship, just forward of thew Culinary Center

011711.jpg

-and a further two on Deck 11, at the stern.

How these locations differ, and they do, significantly.

Considering the Cabin only, this is an overview of an Oceania Suite:

012215.jpg although you must take into account that Deck 11 Oceania Suites are slightly smaller than the Deck 12 Suites.

In fact, the Deck 11 Oceania Suites are Bath and a half whereas the Deck 12 Suites boast two full bathrooms.

Another difference is the door from the bedroom to the Veranda in the Deck 12 Oceania Suites, which is a window in the Deck 11 Suites.

b_180133.jpg

A large porthole shaped window in the master bathrooms of the Deck 11 Oceania Suites, provides abundant natural light, whereas the master bathrooms of the deck 12 Suites are entirely interior.

b_170956.jpg

The Deck 11 Oceania Suites have enormous L shaped verandas which wrap around their exterior perimeter walls and overlook the wake.

b_053513.jpg

The Deck 12 Suites make do with the standard "side of the ship" views", and their verandas are simple rectangles which run along the exterior living and bedroom wall.

Value added from booking an Oceania Suite:

-Priority 11 am ship embarkation with priority luggage delivery

-Exclusive card-only access to private Executive Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge, featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day

-24-hour Butler service

-Complimentary in-suite bar setup with 6 full-size bottles of your choice of premium spirits and wines

-Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch private Spa Terrace

-Passengers in Oceania Suites may make advance Specialty Restaurant Reservations at 90 days out until 7 days prior to embarkation.

-and are guaranteed, depending on the length of the voyage:

0-7 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

8-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Whew, this has been a lot, but if I've left out anything that is important to you, please ask!

The penultimate photo is a Vista Suite bathroom.......

The penultimate photo is a Vista Suite bathroom.......

I've been through this dance before, the layout is precisely the same as 11080/11083, and the photo is there to illustrate the window.

Edited by StanandJim

I've been through this dance before, the layout is precisely the same as 11080/11083, and the photo is there to illustrate the window.

Not on this thread......:rolleyes:

Agree totally with the posters that say the VS verandas are usable on a Transatlantic.....We have occupied both 12000 and 12001 on crossings. They are great for sunbathing as the lowest, solid part of the railing deflects much of any the wind upwards. We now only book VS on Marina & Riviera, and have just got back from another crossing on the Silver Spirit, which is a similar size to the R ships in a similar cabin (Grand Suite) and had almost no wind disturbance, and Silver Spirit's veranda does not have the solid lower part of the railings.

We have been in both Oceania Suites, we will take deck 12 suites any day, we were in 11083 for Christmas New Years 2014/15 and 11083 is the worst on the ship. Of course yes it has a great view and patio, but if you like hearing chairs and tables scraping from 6:00 am thru 11:00 pm, please enjoy. We called to complain daily and got an 'I'm Sorry for the inconvenience and that we will talk to the staff on the buffets patio...well if they did they ignored it. One morning I went up in bathrobe screaming at 6:30 and they looked like I was crazy and that they knew nothing of the noise they were making.

I also know after speaking to 11080 same problem. Talked to butlers and other employees and they all said same. no sleep, no naps.... Not a good suite.

I will take deck 12 any day. In fact we are booked in12008 next February on Marina from Tahiti to Sydney. I'll take smaller deck any day.