Riviera After the Dry Dock

dlouise

Does anyone have any information or pictures of the Riviera after the recent dry dock?

We are boarding the Riviera on June 1st in Rome, and would like to know what has been done. We were just on her in March and the ship looked as beautiful as ever.

Does anyone have any information or pictures of the Riviera after the recent dry dock?

We are boarding the Riviera on June 1st in Rome, and would like to know what has been done. We were just on her in March and the ship looked as beautiful as ever.

Just disembarked today. Almost all the carpet is new. New pattern in the halls and deck 5. I like it. Mostly the same shade of blue as the cabins with a geometric pattern in khaki and some brown borders. Sorry, I didn't take pictures. The ship is in great shape.

Edited by Solar Yellow

Just disembarked today. Almost all the carpet is new. New pattern in the halls and deck 5. I like it. Mostly the same shade of blue as the cabins with a geometric pattern in khaki and some brown borders. Sorry, I didn't take pictures. The ship is in great shape.

Thank you for the update.

How was the entertainment? Was it the new NCL staff?

TIA

How was the entertainment? Was it the new NCL staff?

TIA

Yes, the new shows and staff were in place. I think you'll be very happy with the entertainment. The first show, "That's Entertainment," was a bit of a mess from a continuity perspective but the group is very talented. I missed some shows but many people were raving. The last show had a short segment missing graphics because they were supposed to be in Venice when we arrived but didn't make in time for the show. Minor glitch. Seems the Burt Bacharach show was a favorite. From what I saw, they put the old shows to shame.

Edited by Solar Yellow

Yes, the new shows and staff were in place. I think you'll be very happy with the entertainment. The first show, "That's Entertainment," was a bit of a mess from a continuity perspective but the group is very talented. I missed some shows but many people were raving. The last show had a short segment missing graphics because they were supposed to be in Venice when we arrived but didn't make in time for the show. Minor glitch. Seems the Burt Bacharach show was a favorite. From what I saw, they put the old shows to shame.

I wonder if anyone knows when the JAR contract is up for the Marina. Our next 2 cruises will be on the Marina (Aug & Nov) and I wonder which entertainment team will we see.

Any word on whether the string quartet is still there? That's one of the major things I liked about the Riviera, especially at tea time and before dinner.

On board now and, yes, the string quartet is still here...

DaisyUK - wishing you and your DH a fabulous cruise. :)

Thank you so much! We are having the best time. I say this after 2 fabulous cosmos mixed by the wonderful Sandeep... but, really, nothing has changed since our last cruise in August last year. So far, we have eaten at Red Ginger (which was excellent) and Polo Grill (which was excellent for me (lobster) and not so good for DH (overcooked steak) - which is exactly what happened in August. Tonight, we eat at Jacques. We shall be seeing one of the new shows tonight, an Italian tenor, so it will be interesting to see how that works out. Tomorrow is a sea day and therefore a cookery class so I will report back on who is running it.

The suite is fabulous, beautifully maintained and serviced. I really can't find anything grumble about (and I'm picky):)

Happy Days...

That is very encouraging news. I hope we get some of the ncl entertainment on insignia in July

Traveled from Barcelona to Rome on Riviera after dry dock and the ship is in perfect condition. Red Ginger sea bass and watermelon and duck salad is fabulous. The steak in Polo overdone (same as last year on Marina). Overall you will be more than pleased with your cruise. Enjoy!:)

Kathryn Kelly (sp?) was running the cooking classes. She will be moving to Explorer. Kelly Evans was being trained and is very pleasant.

Good to know. However, the earliest that Chef Kelly can transfer to the Explorer is July, 2016. So, she should be around Oceania for a while. She is definitely an amazing chef and teacher.

Good to know. However, the earliest that Chef Kelly can transfer to the Explorer is July, 2016. So, she should be around Oceania for a while. She is definitely an amazing chef and teacher.

It is my understanding that Kathryn Kelly organised the programme of cooking classes and is the "Head Chef" for those. So presumably she will be very good. The other "Chef Kelly" - who is being trained - was on board during our TA cruise and was working with Noëlle Barille. She seemed very nice (Kelly) but didn't obviously do much as Noëlle was teaching the classes. I would not sign up for another class if I knew Noëlle was the teacher but I would try the classes again if it were Kathryn Kelly. I have heard a lot of good comments about her.

Traveled from Barcelona to Rome on Riviera after dry dock and the ship is in perfect condition. Red Ginger sea bass and watermelon and duck salad is fabulous. The steak in Polo overdone (same as last year on Marina). Overall you will be more than pleased with your cruise. Enjoy!:)

Any tips on how to avoid an overdone steak? We like ours medium-rare.

Any tips on how to avoid an overdone steak? We like ours medium-rare.

Just ask for it medium rare - it's not ALWAYS overdone. In fact my DW's medium rare arrived rare and we sent it back for a little more cooking and came back perfect.

Just ask for it medium rare - it's not ALWAYS overdone. In fact my DW's medium rare arrived rare and we sent it back for a little more cooking and came back perfect.

Perfect, thank you :)

Just wanted to add a few more comments about my May 3 - 11 Riviera cruise:

• I thought the staff was even friendlier than they were last year.

• I had an extended balcony that gained two loungers with the dry dock. So new I helped finish removing the shipping paper from them. The "wicker" chairs and table were still there.

• The port of Argostoli was a very pleasant surprise as was Zadar (the new port opened only 45 days prior to our arrival and free shuttles to town were provided).

• Service fails included witnessing a supervisor at Waves yell at a server and tell him "I'm not your nurse!" and blatant arguing among the staff at the grill in the Terrace Cafe. On two occasions, we left dinner early to get to trivia and the promised delivery of dessert to the cabin never occurred. And, speaking of overcooked steaks, I ordered the veal Oscar (well, a variation of Oscar) at Polo medium-rare and it was so well-done it was gray. The replacement ribeye was medium to medium-well.

• Otherwise, the food was fantastic with Toscana being my favorite this time (usually my least favorite). In fact the order of favorite to least favorite was exactly the opposite of my last cruise on Riviera.

• First cruise with Leslie John as the CD and he is as advertised; a great guy and very entertaining.