Perfect on the Marina

ChatKat in Ca.

We disembarked Marina yesterday and our cruise was perfect.

Staff/Crew met our every need. They anticipated everything you could want. We lacked nothing. Food was best I have had onboard the Oceania ships.

A little something nice: We went to play backgammon and the board was missing some pieces. The other set was a hodgepodge and missing parts. I mentioned it to reception so they could fix it and within a short time a set appeared in our cabin. We never mentioned our names so they obviously know us onboard.

Service in all the dining venues was spot on at each and every meal. We shared tables in the specialties and met some lovely people.

I loved going to Baristas. My drink order was known by Luca so I felt pampered every time. Even Starbucks where I go regularly can't match that.

New Cruise Director Julie James is very talented. Her performance for the show one evening was a pleasure. I liked her sense of humor and her approachability - that Australian warmth was a joy.

Spa services were very good. We both has massage and I had my hair blown dry for a treat.

The only two things I would say were off were tendering into Newport Rhode Island was very slow. We booked a private tour and missed it due to an hour wait for the tender to turn around. We were told it would be 20 minutes when it was close to an hour. And the night we had La Reserve we gathered before dinner just out side the restaurant for predinner drinks and it was bitter cold. While they gave us blankets to keep warm - they need an alternative for when the weather won't cooperate. It's just not a very elegant way to start the evening and a dinner of that caliber deserves a nicer start.

Excited that we booked another cruise.....

Hi! We will be boarding the Marina in July for a cruise around the British Isles and I can't wait. This will be our 5th cruise and they all have been on the Marina! I am glad you had such a good experience. We always have had a wonderful time onboard - great service and fabulous food and the most comfortable bed ever!!:D

Hi! We will be boarding the Marina in July for a cruise around the British Isles and I can't wait. This will be our 5th cruise and they all have been on the Marina! I am glad you had such a good experience. We always have had a wonderful time onboard - great service and fabulous food and the most comfortable bed ever!!:D

We did that cruise in 2014 on Marina and it was FANTASTIC! You are in for a real treat. Don't skip the haggas - it's actually quite tasty! :)

So glad you enjoyed your cruise. We were on Riviera the same time you were on Marina and are relieved that all is well on both ships. We are looking forward to sailing on Marina next year:)

So glad you enjoyed your cruise. We were on Riviera the same time you were on Marina and are relieved that all is well on both ships. We are looking forward to sailing on Marina next year:)

We were on Riviera last and she's a lovely ship.

Ah, Luca and his wonderful double Macchiatos.... thanks for the memory. We sadly left the Marina two stops before you (Lima). But we'll be on Riviera in October (Barcelona - Venice), so we have that to look forward to.

Ah, Luca and his wonderful double Macchiatos.... thanks for the memory. We sadly left the Marina two stops before you (Lima). But we'll be on Riviera in October (Barcelona - Venice), so we have that to look forward to.

Wonderful Itinerary!

We did that cruise in 2014 on Marina and it was FANTASTIC! You are in for a real treat. Don't skip the haggas - it's actually quite tasty! :)

This summer, we are touring Europe with our Scottish friends from Edinburgh! How funny that you would recommend the haggis! This is such a joke. These are disgusting and considered a tradition only in the sense of pride of the Scottish who now recognize that the English conquerors who took the best cuts of meat, leaving the offal to the peasants, would now appreciate. Indeed, on any given Burns Day, you would necessarily eat haggis, and at any Scottish wedding, you'll get no cake until the haggis are done, still they are not considered a delight!

This summer, we are touring Europe with our Scottish friends from Edinburgh! How funny that you would recommend the haggis! This is such a joke. These are disgusting and considered a tradition only in the sense of pride of the Scottish who now recognize that the English conquerors who took the best cuts of meat, leaving the offal to the peasants, would now appreciate. Indeed, on any given Burns Day, you would necessarily eat haggis, and at any Scottish wedding, you'll get no cake until the haggis are done, still they are not considered a delight!

What rubbish you spout - next you'll be telling everyone they have four legs with two shorter ones to facilitate running around the side of the Scottish hills! :p;).

The haggis is considered a fine delicacy and is served with great pride and ceremony on Burn's day all around the world - and I've not been to a Scottish wedding yet which has served haggis! You will also find it featured on many fine dining establishment menus - with the top chefs doing poncy things with it! and of course in hotels for breakfast. You may not like this dish, but many do and it's no different from ******s, a dish served also in the U.K.

The origins of the haggis was a means to ensure all of the sheep was used and was an efficient way of preserving the inners - and it is believed the first haggis was actually created in England!

Anyway I'm glad Corpkid enjoyed his taste of haggis! :)

***** I see the word I wanted to use has been asterisked out - the word is for small round balls of meat made from sheep innards and I think may be a "rude" or slang word in the USA. It's an old fashioned word in the UK and in this use is not rude or slang.

What rubbish you spout - next you'll be telling everyone they have four legs with two shorter ones to facilitate running around the side of the Scottish hills! :p;).

The haggis is considered a fine delicacy and is served with great pride and ceremony on Burn's day all around the world - and I've not been to a Scottish wedding yet which has served haggis! You will also find it featured on many fine dining establishment menus - with the top chefs doing poncy things with it! and of course in hotels for breakfast. You may not like this dish, but many do and it's no different from ******s, a dish served also in the U.K.

The origins of the haggis was a means to ensure all of the sheep was used and was an efficient way of preserving the inners - and it is believed the first haggis was actually created in England!

Anyway I'm glad Corpkid enjoyed his taste of haggis! :)

***** I see the word I wanted to use has been asterisked out - the word is for small round balls of meat made from sheep innards and I think may be a "rude" or slang word in the USA. It's an old fashioned word in the UK and in this use is not rude or slang.

You're right! They are rubbish. Sorry, couldn't resist. True, some people actually like haggis, but most people I know do not care for them. IMHO, they were not delicacies and today most recipes have "cleaned up" so they're more palatable. In fact, I would bet that those referred to were not truly traditional haggis. I just found the post to be a bit over exuberant about not missing the haggis. No offence, mate, but IMO, most British food is not to my liking (with the exception of Yorkshire pub and fish and chips served with malt vinegar!):D

WOT! You mean you mean you don't like deep fried Mars Bars, black pudding, or heavens above the famous red pudding? come to think of it we also have a white pudding! You really haven't lived, have you!??? ;):D

Actually I do think they use the same ingredients for Haggis, just they have refined the recipe and use more spices etc., so it's more palatable and sausage like.

Btw you do know that Yorkshire is not in Scotland? But we still love their puds and their pubs! ;):p

Seriously? I enjoyed Haggis quite a bit... Was certainly trepidatious at the thought of eating it, but I'll try anything once and it was quite tasty. And I'm certainly not a neophyte when it comes to food and cuisines from around the world. But what would I know? :rolleyes:

Next thing you'll be telling me is Nam Tok (Thai Blood soup) is rubbish... It is delicious for those uninitiated... Anyways - back to the OP - certainly give Haggis a try - even if just a bite. Might surprise you. :)

Our Ports were Newport, Rhode Island, Portland Maine, St. John New Brunswick, Boston Mass, Halifax and Sydney Nova Scotia, Sagueny, Quebec, Quebec City and Montreal.

In Newport, we tendered and the operation was very backed up and we missed the trolley tour we booked. We walked around for a short time and then reboarded. Cute touristy place.

In Portland, we had a trolley tour. Another Touristy stop but we docked. The Trolley Tour was very good. The Lobster shack was exceptional The tour company lost our paid reservation and we missed that tour but the next one worked - we paid for it and then they found our initial reservation which caused a 45 minute wait.

In Boston, we took the Trolley Tour with Old Town Trolley. We have done those tours before and found them good but our driver made too many political comments that were unprofessional. We had a nice lobster roll lunch and some chowda and walked around the Quincy Market which is way more commercial than our last visit. We saw all the highlights of Boston on our tour but we'd been there several times for extended visits.

Weather to this point was sunny and in the 70's and 80's

In Nova Scotia, we had a private tour to Peggy's Cove. A friend of mine met us at the dock with her new baby so for me a personal visit like that was a highlight.

In Sydney, we had a private tour with a ride on the Cabot Trail. We liked our guide very much. The tour company was supposed to have another passenger who cancelled last minute and they did not cancel our tour so it was just us and the driver. His love and knowledge for the area was fantastic. We love Sydney having been there before. The Tour we took 10 years ago was now $389 pp on Oceania (Bra d'or Lake Tour) I don't recall what I paid on the cruise we took on Navigator but I am sure it was not THAT much! There was snow on the ground and below zero temps!

In Saguenay - the town greeted our ship with dancers, and locals in costume. Quite the spectacle! We felt like celebrities. Our tour was of the Fjords and was just too long. Pretty area, guide was decent.

In Quebec City - we walked about 6 miles through the tourist area and then into the residential area and had a crepes lunch before walking back to the ship. We had a great day - I love 60 degree weather.

And in Montreal, we just made a sea day for ourselves, packed to go home, Oceania's spa was empty and we did not have enough sea time so we had the works and then I bested my DH at Backgammon. We'd been for extended stay there last visit and did not feel we missed anything.

All in all a lovely cruise!

Haggis, particularly with 'neeps & tattles" (mashed turnips, or swedes actually, and potatoes), is a very pleasant dish IMO. Like anything, you can get a duff one but, fortunately, I never have done.

Eaten it several times, mainly but not exclusively, at New Year and Burns Night.

It is an acquired taste, maybe, but it is a genuine dish and most Scottish Chefs would take pride in preparing and serving it. You either like it or you don't, but you can't question the provenance or credibility of the dish. It appears on several Michelin starred menus for a start!

[quote=fairbourne;4664677

That made me laugh!!! Lets try it spelled backwards "stoggaf" When my husband was a student his landlady used to serve these, he thought they were disgusting!! Haggis? Yuk. I am wondering which UK dishes Kekilla doesn't care for.

... but IMO, most British food is not to my liking (with the exception of Yorkshire pub and fish and chips served with malt vinegar!):D

Yikes! When was the last time you ate at a good restaurant in London that served modern British cuisine? If you anticipate liking the food on Oceania, you'll like modern British cuisine.

Modern British cuisine, like most contemporary cuisine, emphasizes excellent local sourcing and seasonal ingredients. And London, the place I know best, has a vibrant restaurant scene worthy of a destination trip. In fact, last summer, we routinely ate better in London than in Paris where too many restaurants have succumbed to tourist doldrums.

If you have any doubts about the accuracy of my opinion, consider eating at any of the following:

Launceston Place

Hibiscus

Fera

The Ledbury

Dinner by Hester Blumenthal

Harwood Arms (see post #24)

All stellar examples of modern British cuisine!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

That made me laugh!!! Lets try it spelled backwards "stoggaf" When my husband was a student his landlady used to serve these, he thought they were disgusting!! Haggis? Yuk. I am wondering which UK dishes Kekilla doesn't care for.

Last year, my husband and I looked at the daily special board at Harwood Arms, the only one-Michelin star pub in London and there was your backwards word, "stoggaf" in the appetizer category. Having been an English major and having read more than my fair share of old English novels, I immediately thought of that word as applied to bundles of kindling. Bingo. The ground meat mixture is shaped like a piece of a small branch as if it is a small twig that gets stacked up to light a fire.

Now, Harwood Arms is a Michelin restaurant so I doubt their meat mixture bears much resemblance to the original use-everything recipe, but their "stoggaf"s -- and everything we ate at that meal -- were delicious. Excellent representative of modern British cuisine.

Incidentally, Harwood Arms is one of the most casual, laid back Michelin restaurants you'll ever visit!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy