Figuring days out for dining reservation

Flatbush Flyer

Are the number of days out for dining reservations (e.g., 45 for B veranda cabins) based on midnight Eastern time?

Yes. You can book online right after MN Eastern - 9 PM Pacific time.

Agree with Hawaiidan regarding relative ease of getting into whatever venue you want as long as you are flexible.

However -- big however -- if you are like us and prefer to get in when doors open at 6:30 because you are early-to-bed-early-to-risers and you are uncomfortable dining with a group of strangers, then be aware that those early two-tops go quickly and are worth jumping onto the computer as soon as the clock strikes midnight on the east coast.

This may be especially true depending upon what cabin category you have booked. The suites get first access to reservations; concierge class next a couple of weeks later; other categories last after another couple of weeks. This may mean that the most desirable times and seating arrangements will have largely been taken by the time your appointed reservation date rolls around.

Not something to stress over but definitely something to act upon in timely fashion, IMO.

I can understand that people who want a very specific seating (especially if you don't what to share) would want to be out of the box asap ... but for us we like sharing, and we like dining later, so I have never felt in a rush to book as soon as I can. (I do bear in mind that since we're usually in a suite although not the owner's suite that we have an advantage there ... And if we can't get that reservation we want, we can order in to our room. Two big advantages.)

But we've always gotten what we want without waiting up until midnight to attempt to make a booking! Then again, as I've said before, we aren't that determined to eat in a specialty restaurant every night ... and we frequently don't use all of our allotted spots.

As many have said: if you can be flexible about the time you dine and the number of people with whom you dine, it shouldn't be a problem. I suppose it can be when everyone on board is determined to eat as often as possible in a specialty restaurant ... but there are also cruises where many other passengers have OUR attitude.

The luck of the draw, I guess.

Mura

Also agree with Mura about waiting up until midnight to make bookings. Not desirable; maybe even impossible.

However, we lucky/smart/smug ones on the West Coast only have to wait up until 9:00 p.m.

Some folks get all the breaks. Neener, neener…...

Also agree with Mura about waiting up until midnight to make bookings. Not desirable; maybe even impossible.

However, we lucky/smart/smug ones on the West Coast only have to wait up until 9:00 p.m.

Some folks get all the breaks. Neener, neener…...

And, some of us in Hawaii have to wait until after dinner! 👣👣🌴🐬🐳🌈🌅

I started cruising with Oceania before they had advance dining reservations; we used to line up to make our reservations as soon as we boarded. Then my TA, who has oodles of experience on Oceania, advised that we didn't need to stand in that cattle call line -- we could make reservations the next day or so and get most of what we wanted and always what we were guaranteed. It worked and relieved a lot of stress.

Since then, we have always taken a laissez faire approach to the specialty restaurants. Sometimes we wait until we board, sometimes we book ahead, but in the latter case, we almost always end up changing them all once we are on board and meet new friends. After time, with menus largely unchanged since 2006, we have developed a real "don't care" attitude -- we love the Grand Dining Room and wouldn't miss the specialties if we never went back. An exception is Red Ginger the way our TA taught us -- family style at a table for 8. That's fun once on every cruise.

Next year we'll be spending 180 days on Insignia with only 2 specialty restaurants; I have no doubt we'll use them every once in a while to change things up, and for special occasions we share with friends, but we've found that it really doesn't make much difference which nights and which times we get. With that attitude, the irony is we can generally get many more nights than we want.

This may be especially true depending upon what cabin category you have booked. The suites get first access to reservations; concierge class next a couple of weeks later; other categories last after another couple of weeks. This may mean that the most desirable times and seating arrangements will have largely been taken by the time your appointed reservation date rolls around.

I remember from the old system of reservations -- in-person booking on board by talking with maitre d' for each restaurant or with the restaurant manager -- we could specify the size table we were willing to share with others. This didn't appear to be possible using the online method. "Dine alone" and "Dine with others" were the only two options for a couple not traveling with others. Right now, we have no idea how many people we've agreed to dine with.

What is the largest size table in the specialty restaurants in the R class ships? Is there a way and time to indicate a preference for a table no larger than six?

Thanks all. I had forgotten and was just trying to decide what time I needed to set aside that evening to go online and make the reservations. As it turns out, I got pretty much what I had hoped for and expect, as in the past, I can add additional in the mornings while onboard.

...we have always taken a laissez faire approach to the specialty restaurants. Sometimes we wait until we board, sometimes we book ahead, but in the latter case, we almost always end up changing them all once we are on board and meet new friends. After time, with menus largely unchanged since 2006, we have developed a real "don't care" attitude -- we love the Grand Dining Room and wouldn't miss the specialties if we never went back. An exception is Red Ginger the way our TA taught us -- family style at a table for 8. That's fun once on every cruise.

Next year we'll be spending 180 days on Insignia with only 2 specialty restaurants; I have no doubt we'll use them every once in a while to change things up, and for special occasions we share with friends, but we've found that it really doesn't make much difference which nights and which times we get. With that attitude, the irony is we can generally get many more nights than we want.

Good attitude, Don. I find that the specialties, after a while, feel like an embarrassment of riches--just too much food. It will be interesting to see how that works on your RWC--the maitre'ds may end up begging pax to come to their restaurants! You must be really pumped, especially considering you postponed this for a year. Still don't know how anyone could spend half a year on a ship, but I'm really hoping you're going to tell us, as you go.

On the last Marina Cruise, we had no problem getting into Specialties at the end of the cruise for additional nights with table for two.

I will admit to ordering only appetizers for dinner since the food is rich and yummy. The bread baskets are hard to resist. I do wish Oceania served the Salt Sticks that Regent puts in theirs.

Clearly this is another case of YMMV (or to each their own).

As we prefer to dine early (6:30) at a table for 2 (unless we travel with family/friends) and we are particular as to what days we dine in specialties (depending on itinerary & tours), it is important for us to book specialties as soon as we can. Getting extra reservations, which may or may not happen, has little to do with this.

Others who are more flexible with time, date and table size have more leaway in booking specialties.

Edited by Paulchili

Good attitude, Don. I find that the specialties, after a while, feel like an embarrassment of riches--just too much food. It will be interesting to see how that works on your RWC--the maitre'ds may end up begging pax to come to their restaurants! You must be really pumped, especially considering you postponed this for a year.

Still don't know how anyone could spend half a year on a ship, but I'm really hoping you're going to tell us, as you go.

That eating in Waves or Terrace buffet grill is better than many other "lines" specialty or main dining room !!! The main dining room was fine, and at the specialities we seldom had more than 2 maybe 3 course salad/soup appetizer and a main course...skipped desert ever night for 32 of the 34 day cruise.. The portions were so large, rich and filling that we could not finish most things!! ( like the lobster thermador inJaques...big enough for 2..maybe 3 . Like the booze program... when do you get to the point of saying enough!

Another consideration is that many reservations are cancelled during the cruise. For example on cruises that pass rough ocean zones, you can bank on many canceling sailing... from: SF to Vanvouver-Astoria Or Melbourne to Tasmania, Tasmania to Duneden , Noumea to Sydney

Oh,Wendy, you cant imagine living on a ship for 6 months???....... well I spent 2years on one and 18 months on another 2100 ton 385 ft .....