Petra

I am going to be in Aqaba Jordan and wanted to travel to Petra but was wondering due to medical reasons how stressful the climb is when leaving and how humid and hot the weather would be in late May.

Would someone please explain the distance and walk to and from the historical site. At an average pace how much time should it take to reach the main historical area. Is there any shade anywhere along the way. Due to lower back injury cant risk riding on the back of a Camel or cart.

Heat & especially humidity aren't a problem, this is in the high desert.

Because it's a ravine most of the walk is in shade.

The total distance from the entrance / coach & car parking to the Treasury is about a mile.

Folk talk about it taking 45 to 60 minutes but remember they're taking their time & making the occasional stop.

The first part (mebbe a third of the distance?) from the entrance to the top of the siq (ravine) is on open level ground.

The siq itself is a steady climb, not desperately steep but seems to be never-ending and you'll probably want to take a rest a few times.

The whole of the walk is on pretty even ground, easy to walk but not suited to pushchairs & such.

The Treasury is at the bottom of the siq. Here it opens out into a valley, where there's very little gradient but it's stony & uneven.

A fair number of folk only go as far as the Treasury, but still found it worthwhile.

The best way to see for yourself is to check out photos & videos - just pump "Petra siq" into googleimages or googlevideos.

I've deliberately chosen as an example a video which shows folk walking up & out, rather than down & in.

Photos & videos always tend to show gradients less steep than they really are, but you can see from the way folk are walking that it's a long slow haul, not a steep gradient.

Buggies operate between entrance & Treasury (you'll see them on the videos), camels only operate in the valley at the bottom & are more for the experience rather than transportation.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Heat & especially humidity aren't a problem, this is in the high desert.

Because it's a ravine most of the walk is in shade.

The total distance from the entrance / coach & car parking to the Treasury is about a mile.

Folk talk about it taking 45 to 60 minutes but remember they're taking their time & making the occasional stop.

The first part (mebbe a third of the distance?) from the entrance to the top of the siq (ravine) is on open level ground.

The siq itself is a steady climb, not desperately steep but seems to be never-ending and you'll probably want to take a rest a few times.

The whole of the walk is on pretty even ground, easy to walk but not suited to pushchairs & such.

The Treasury is at the bottom of the siq. Here it opens out into a valley, where there's very little gradient but it's stony & uneven.

A fair number of folk only go as far as the Treasury, but still found it worthwhile.

The best way to see for yourself is to check out photos & videos - just pump "Petra siq" into googleimages or googlevideos.

I've deliberately chosen as an example a video which shows folk walking up & out, rather than down & in.

Photos & videos always tend to show gradients less steep than they really are, but you can see from the way folk are walking that it's a long slow haul, not a steep gradient.

Buggies operate between entrance & Treasury (you'll see them on the videos), camels only operate in the valley at the bottom & are more for the experience rather than transportation.

Thanks for the input! Will be there in early November 2016. Do you have any idea as to the temperature at that time of year? Also any guidelines as to a negotiated price for the horse or buggy ride and the currency.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for the input! Will be there in early November 2016. Do you have any idea as to the temperature at that time of year? Also any guidelines as to a negotiated price for the horse or buggy ride and the currency.

Thanks

Dave

November temperatures in Petra are quoted at around a very pleasant 20degC.

But because it's up in the high desert the weather down at Aqaba on the day is no guide. You'll be travelling by coach or car, so I suggest you take a jacket - if it's warm you can leave it in the vehicle.

Sorry, don't know about the buggy cost.

But it does depend on how busy , how desperate you look, & your negotiating skills.

Currencies accepted include Jordanian Dinars, Euros, US dollars, GB pounds, camels, horses, goats, wives, daughters .................

November temperatures in Petra are quoted at around a very pleasant 20degC.

But because it's up in the high desert the weather down at Aqaba on the day is no guide. You'll be travelling by coach or car, so I suggest you take a jacket - if it's warm you can leave it in the vehicle.

Sorry, don't know about the buggy cost.

But it does depend on how busy , how desperate you look, & your negotiating skills.

Currencies accepted include Jordanian Dinars, Euros, US dollars, GB pounds, camels, horses, goats, wives, daughters .................

Thanks

Dave

Thanks

Dave

Horse and buggy from visitor center to Treasury is $40 USD round trip (plus tip)

If you want to explore the site it is either donkey or camel only. Donkey was $20 per hour (plus tip). Site is very rocky and uneven.

Temperature in late May will be Hot. Likely +100. Walk to Treasury is easy but long as it is all downhill. Back in the heat is a killer.

Edited by PaulMCO

Cart ride is horrid on the back. It is not an insignificant walk over extremely uneven rocks. It would be difficult and I wouldn't want to risk having to go to hospital there! I would NOT recommend for you. I was just there. Sorry

Horse and buggy from visitor center to Treasury is $40 USD round trip (plus tip)

If you want to explore the site it is either donkey or camel only. Donkey was $20 per hour (plus tip). Site is very rocky and uneven.

Temperature in late May will be Hot. Likely +100. Walk to Treasury is easy but long as it is all downhill. Back in the heat is a killer.

Thanks! I had seen someone picked up along the trail on U tube and thought it would be good to know what the cost would be. What are the distances to the other sites once you arrive at the Treasury? I don't know how much time we will have as we are riding through the desert as part of the tour.

Dave

They would probably charge you the 40. Some people wanted to go back via the cart but were told same price.

Most of the sites from the treasury are about 1000 yards walk of a rocky surface. Downhill, back is uphill.

• 1 month later...
They would probably charge you the 40. Some people wanted to go back via the cart but were told same price.

Most of the sites from the treasury are about 1000 yards walk of a rocky surface. Downhill, back is uphill.

Have you ever heard that you can start a tour at the Monastery and walk down the 800+ stairs to the valley and exit through the Siq. This is preferable to me, but looking at maps, I couldn't see how they would transport you to that location. Our arranged tour allows 3hrs in Petra + 1.5hrs in Wadi and 5hrs of transportation. 3hrs doesn't seem like enough time to appreciate Petra.

I heard that the handlers of the horses and donkeys request a larger tip than most people would think.

Thanks

Dave

Have you ever heard that you can start a tour at the Monastery and walk down the 800+ stairs to the valley and exit through the Siq. This is preferable to me, but looking at maps, I couldn't see how they would transport you to that location. Our arranged tour allows 3hrs in Petra + 1.5hrs in Wadi and 5hrs of transportation. 3hrs doesn't seem like enough time to appreciate Petra.

I heard that the handlers of the horses and donkeys request a larger tip than most people would think.

Thanks

Dave

Never heard of starting at the Monastery and walking down.

3 hours is very short. Took me 50 minutes down and 1+ hour back from the Siq.

The free donkey trip -- they wanted 15JD for the tip...

Never heard of starting at the Monastery and walking down.

3 hours is very short. Took me 50 minutes down and 1+ hour back from the Siq.

The free donkey trip -- they wanted 15JD for the tip...[/QU

Thanks! That is what I thought! Our tour includes the used of horses to the Siq if desired+ the tip. I think I would prefer a 7 hr tour of Petra to the 3hrs and Wadi Run

Dave

The free donkey trip -- they wanted 15JD for the tip...

Something you'll come across everywhere in the Middle East - and elsewhere.

Even the "you can just sit on the camel for photos, no charge".

Yeah,right:D

Something you'll come across everywhere in the Middle East - and elsewhere.

Even the "you can just sit on the camel for photos, no charge".

Yeah,right:D

Yes exactly. Parking in Morocco requires you tip the street watcher.

In Luxor -- we had a guard come over and say -- come here this is a great photo. (it was) -- then had his hand out... :D

Edited by PaulMCO

Thanks

Dave

We are on the ship as well does anybody know if there are any private tours to Petra and how much it will cost.

We are on the ship as well does anybody know if there are any private tours to Petra and how much it will cost.

We are booked with Jordan Horizons Tours. We are doing the Petra/Wadi tour and I am looking at changing to the Petra tour only but extend the time in Petra from 3hrs to 6hrs,

Dave

Dave we were in Petra last May aboard the Quantum. It is a full day just doing Petra in our option.

There is first the drive to get there. Then there is a long hot walk to get to the

Sig. Then the walk back up the hill to get to the tour bus is not easy.

Dave how much time is NCL allowing for just that tour? You might want to consider how much time they are allowing and base your trip on that timing.

Sue

Have you joined our Roll Call? There is a link to a spreadsheet that has many private tours for most of the ports of call, including Petra. Dave has just made arrangements for a tour of Petra; it will be added to the spreadsheet in the next day or so. Currently, there is a tour of Petra and Wadi Rum listed.

Heather

Thanks

Dave

Several years ago my husband and I spent a day in Petra in late November. I needed a light jacket in the morning but took it off by noon. Our tour package included a horse ride through the Sig. Those were the slowest horses and their handlers wanted tips! The two of us elected to walk (uphill) back in the evening, despite the prepaid return-trip ride. If you are physically capable...walk! BTW, we had a private guide inside Petra who significantly enhanced our experience, so I strongly suggest you spend your money on that instead of a horse.

Several years ago my husband and I spent a day in Petra in late November. I needed a light jacket in the morning but took it off by noon. Our tour package included a horse ride through the Sig. Those were the slowest horses and their handlers wanted tips! The two of us elected to walk (uphill) back in the evening, despite the prepaid return-trip ride. If you are physically capable...walk! BTW, we had a private guide inside Petra who significantly enhanced our experience, so I strongly suggest you spend your money on that instead of a horse.

Thanks! I am working on tours with either guides for 3 or 6hrs. Hopefully I can secure enough people to finalize either tour.

Dave