Casablanca/Marrakech Safety

kadey

We are looking at a cruise that stops in Casablanca. There is an excursion to Marrakech. How safe is it in Casablanca and traveling through Morocco? I've read there's not a lot to do or see in Casablanca . I'm concerned about the three hour (each way) excursion to Marrakech. Can anyone share their insight or experience? It's a long port day from early morning to 10pm. Thanks-Kade

We are looking at a cruise that stops in Casablanca. There is an excursion to Marrakech. How safe is it in Casablanca and traveling through Morocco? I've read there's not a lot to do or see in Casablanca . I'm concerned about the three hour (each way) excursion to Marrakech. Can anyone share their insight or experience? It's a long port day from early morning to 10pm. Thanks-Kade

Hi Kade. Obviously not knowing your interests, 'attention tolerance', or activity levels, this is not a suggestion, only statements and opinions from our experiences:-)

Casablanca: the Mosque is the most beautiful in Morocco; the old Medina is interesting and fun; and most people have to go to "Rick's" bar of movie fame,(Humphrey Bogart) just to say they've been there.

Marrakech: This is a very interesting city, busy and colorful. More what tourists are looking for in Morocco. BUT it is a 3 hour bus ride(if you don't run into issues(which normally you do). The trip there is beautiful scenery, but coming back, it is the same scenery and it will probably be dark.

Hope this helps in making a decision. We felt we HAD to see Marrakech the first time we were there, but the next time, we stayed in Casablanca. It was fine both times:)

Hi Kade. Obviously not knowing your interests, 'attention tolerance', or activity levels, this is not a suggestion, only statements and opinions from our experiences:-)

Casablanca: the Mosque is the most beautiful in Morocco; the old Medina is interesting and fun; and most people have to go to "Rick's" bar of movie fame,(Humphrey Bogart) just to say they've been there.

Marrakech: This is a very interesting city, busy and colorful. More what tourists are looking for in Morocco. BUT it is a 3 hour bus ride(if you don't run into issues(which normally you do). The trip there is beautiful scenery, but coming back, it is the same scenery and it will probably be dark.

Hope this helps in making a decision. We felt we HAD to see Marrakech the first time we were there, but the next time, we stayed in Casablanca. It was fine both times:)

Thank you for the response! We are pretty adventurous travelers. While doing my research I have found a few comments mentioning safety. Did you have any safety concerns in either Casablanca or Marrakech or while traveling from each place?

Thank you for the response! We are pretty adventurous travelers. While doing my research I have found a few comments mentioning safety. Did you have any safety concerns in either Casablanca or Marrakech or while traveling from each place?

These are my thoughts, experiences, and suggestions: I do not want to frighten you from doing anything in these places, because they are exotic, colorful, exciting and even charming:-) Definitely worth experiencing!

Overall, of the 4 times I've been there, I was more cautious than I am in most large cities. By that I mean, I kept my money/credit cards and passport info hidden.

I would be even more diligent though, by not wearing or carrying anything really valuable (unless you have no choice) Also suggest to be very aware of your surroundings, as we did witness drive-by motorscooters grab the bags of tourists in front of us who were taking pictures, therefore they were not focused on their surroundings! We also experienced pick-pockets in the Souks; con-men and girls trying to get us to "come with me, your friend has been hurt and I will take you to him/her", etc. It's colorful and an exciting adventure if you basically just accept that is the way of life of many, and don't fall for any "cons"; don't let yourself get too far removed from the mainstream(we are travelers who walk to everything on our own, and explore back-roads and alleys...do not do that here!) I, as a woman, was very uncomfortable going anywhere without a man. I know women travel all over there alone, but I know it is a risk. We met 4 women traveling together, and they ended up asking to tour with us, because they were too uncomfortable without a male in their group.

Since you are adventurous travelers, you know what to do and not do, so I'm sure you will be fine following basic cautionary "rules"! Have a great trip:)

Thank you again for your response! I don't know why I feel so nervous about this port! I really appreciate the time you took to give details about your past visits here. We are not scheduled to do this trip till next year but it's the one port that has me a bit hesitant and fascinated with at the same time.

Thank you again for your response! I don't know why I feel so nervous about this port! I really appreciate the time you took to give details about your past visits here. We are not scheduled to do this trip till next year but it's the one port that has me a bit hesitant and fascinated with at the same time.

You're very welcome:)! Don't hesitate to see it; just be cautious, and try to absorb the culture! Morocco is one of those countries, like India, where the sights, smells and atmosphere are so enticing , they stay with you forever!

Hi. I copy-Paste a response I have given to someone else's question on the same subject a few months ago:

I have been to Casablanca several times, and never voluntarily.

Business forced me to visit that horrible place. The name sounds romantic, but it is anything but. The sort of place that gives the Arab / Muslim world a bad name.

On several occasions colleagues of mine (all experienced and seasoned travellers ) were attacked and robbed at knife or gun point. In broad daylight on busy streets.

Absolutely not a place to roam around.

Not particularly interesting for tourists. Better sights, museums and mosques pretty much anywhere else.

BUT other places in Morocco ARE lovely.

Marrakech is absolutely stunning and SO worth a visit.

It is a bit of a pain to get to on your own in only a day. Reconsider that ships tour. I doubt you'd regret it.

If you really don't want to do that, Rabat the capital is quick-ish train ride away. The place is nice, easy to get around once there and there is a really nice fort / walled Medina and good market. And the people THERE are friendly, welcoming and hospitable.