Beach break at Shangri-La in Muscat - worth it?

travellerin1984

Hi!

I am looking at an excursion from Muscat. It is a beach break excursion at 5-star hotel and it is pricy. I wouldn't be considering it otherwise but my husband is going diving that day and I want to do something else than hang around by the pool onboard.

Have some of you helpful Cruise critic people been to Shangri-La and did you enjoy it? Or is it better stay onboard that day instead?

I look forward to your comments.

Hi!

I am looking at an excursion from Muscat. It is a beach break excursion at 5-star hotel and it is pricy. I wouldn't be considering it otherwise but my husband is going diving that day and I want to do something else than hang around by the pool onboard.

Have some of you helpful Cruise critic people been to Shangri-La and did you enjoy it? Or is it better stay onboard that day instead?

I look forward to your comments.

I have been to Muscat three times. The first time I was met at the port gate by a friend who lived there so she took me around all the sites and we actually went to the Shangri-La for coffee. As you say it is a 5-star hotel and like all ships excursions it will be quite expensive.

Travelling alone on the second occasion, I did not want to venture out alone so I did take the ship's tour (Mystical Muscat) which included a visit to the mosque, the Bait Al Zubair Museum, the Sultan's Palace and the Muttrah Souk

On my third cruise from Dubai I was with family and we opted to do the Hop On Hop Off Bus in Muscat and this was a leisurely way to see the sights.

Good Luck with your plans. If you are visiting the Emirates for the first time you will enjoy it. My son and his family are based in Dubai and I just love going out there. We will be on MSC Fantasia on 17th Dec finding new places to visit on the itinerary and re-visiting some of our favourites.

Suzanne

Edited by suron

The Shangri-la resort (or, as the Omanis call it "Shan Gorilla") in muscat is lovely with a great, clean and private beach and numerous pools and a lazy river to float along in rubber rings.

The resort consists of 3 separate hotels that share the gardens , beach and pools. The hotels are all shangri-la, but of different star ratings and price points.

If lunch is included in the tour, it will probably be served at one of the hotels buffet venues, just steps from the beach.

It is all very civilised and relaxing.

Sometimes the hotel does admit day guests to use the beach and pool facilities if the hotel is not too full.

This in itself is quite costly, not even counting taxi costs to and from the port which will be charged at sucker rates, as they know you are a helpless victim. 🙂

If your husband''s diving trip involves the Muscat Dive Center, it should leave from their Base , which is in a lovely sandy beach, just a bay along from the Shangri-la.

A very shallow beach and a decent simple restaurant. Also a small fresh water pool. They charge a few OMR entrance fee to use the facilities.

Bring own towels. Perhaps you can tag along to the dive center

Thank you for the answers. My husband is looking at different diving centers so we'll see. I am still interested in having a relaxing day at Shangri-La but the excursion is pricey. I have been thinking of taking the taxi from port to the dive center beach together with my husband. Could be a good option... Anyone has idea how much would be the taxi be to the dive center beach?

Muscat Dive center (a.k.a. Oman Dive Center) is 20 kms form Mutrah Souk. That is where you will be when you get out of the immediate port area in Muscat Harbour.

There is a sign post by the taxi rank that will list fares to the most commonly requested destinations. I am not sure that the Dive Center is listed, but the Ritz Carlton Al Bustan Palace hotel and the Shangri La Barr Al Jissah resorts will be shown. The Dive Center is right in between those two, so the taxi fare will be accordingly. Usually, when there is a ship in town, there will be some sort of taxi dispatcher on duty. He will be able to hep with fare negotiation (if needed) and translate any of your requests, if the driver's English is not good.

It would be a very good idea to arrange for a PICK UP at a certain time, back to the port! More often than not there will be no taxis by the Dive Center. There is no reliable phone taxi booking service in Oman. Nearly everybody has a driver on speed dial, if one is needed after a big night out.

The reception at the Dive Center MAY be able to call a car, but I would not bet on this. Never tried that myself.

Ask the taxi to take you along the coast route. Very scenic and youll pass a few Royal palaces on the way.

Aim to be at the Dive Center before 10 am, to ensure a nice deck chair in the shade (especially on a Friday or Saturday).

Be aware that there is a very big tidal difference in the bay. When the tide goes out, the tide does not just go out, the tide goes on holiday. You'll need to walk a good 300 meters into the water to reach chest high water.

If you are lucky, there will be turtles in by the rocks on the right side of the bay.

The small restaurant (Odyssey) serves alcohol from noon for a few hours. There is also your chance to try camel meat burgers or kebabs! Yummy!!

If you Google Map "Mutrah Souk" and "Oman Dive Center" you'll get the area map. Google picture "Oman Dive Center" has some nice photos.

Their website is currently "under construction".

Make sure you have Omani Rials in cash! UAE Dirhams MAY be accepted at a 1 OMR = 10 AED