Khasab - full or half day dhow cruise?

davidcraig2003

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the full or half day dhow cruise in Khasab. Does the full day tour visit more impressive sights (I'm thinking the further into the fjord the better?) or does it simply provide more time to enjoy the trip. I've never been in Oman (or the middle east) so I think it would be more worthwhile using the afternoon to walk around town.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the full or half day dhow cruise in Khasab. Does the full day tour visit more impressive sights (I'm thinking the further into the fjord the better?) or does it simply provide more time to enjoy the trip. I've never been in Oman (or the middle east) so I think it would be more worthwhile using the afternoon to walk around town.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

I did the half day cruise when I was on MSC Lirica in March last year. I found that most enjoyable and it was, for me, long enough. I then had the afternoon to relax on board but you could try and venture out around Khasab - I don't know if the cruise line organises much in the way of excursion in this port.

I will be doing the same itinerary on Feb 14th and this time will be travelling with my son, his wife and my twin grandsons (their first cruise). My son and his family are based in Dubai so this is my holiday destination each year now. We will be on MSC Orchestra this time - which cruise are you on?

I did a review of my Lirica trip which can be found at

http://www.cruise.critic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=253499

I also did this itinerary in 2013 with RCL and my review for that can be found at

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=217006

You may find some useful tips from these. I am sure you will enjoy exploring the Emirates and good luck with your plans.

I am trying to contact Khourshem Tours to arrange the half day dhow cruise as the grandsons are keen to see the dolphins. So far they have not replied so have also contacted Dolphin Khasab Tours. Hopefully one of them will get in touch.

Regards

Suzanne (Bristol, UK)

We did the half day trip and it was long enough for us. We did not book through the cruiseline . As you disembark the ship there are lots of vendors ready to sell you a trip. The price for a half day was €20 which included mini van round to the Dhow ( about 5 minutes) 4 hour cruise, fresh fruit, tea and soft drinks or water. We were dropped off at the ship on the way back and just had to walk round the pier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did not have much success in getting a reply from Khourshem Tours but have managed to link up with dolphinkhasabtours and they have been so helpful that I have now booked with them.

If you would like the e-mail contact details they are as follows:

sales@dolphinkhasabtours.com - address the e-mail for the attention of Arundas.H who is the Operations Manager.

They charge euros 30 for adults, euro 15 for children 4-8. Light refreshments are provided on the half day tour (lunch included on the full day one). Snorkelling equipment and towels are provided. Toilet facilities on board as well as life jackets!

They have some excellent reviews. Hope this helps

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

We (i.e. DH and I) are on the same cruise as you and your family.

I'm surprised that you didn't have any answer from Kourshem Tours because I emailed them last week and they've answered the same day. Their price is 120 AED per person.

I've read your review of the Lirica to prepare this cruise and it was of great help, thank you for all the détails.

Edited by Gil3

Hi Suzanne,

We (i.e. DH and I) are on the same cruise as you and your family.

I'm surprised that you didn't have any answer from Kourshem Tours because I emailed them last week and they've answered the same day. Their price is 120 AED per person.

I've read your review of the Lirica to prepare this cruise and it was of great help, thank you for all the détails.

Nice to know my review was of help.

There is actually a roll call for our sailing and we are all planning to meet up in the Amber Bar at 4pm on the day we board. You would both be most welcome to join us. If you log on to the roll call you may find some other tips to help with your plans.

Regarding Khourshem they did get back eventually but on reading reviews on Dolphintours opted for them as they replied sooner. I do not think there is a lot to choose between all the Dhow cruise operators. Just hope the twin grandsons get to see some Dolphins - there were loads when I did this before.

Hope to hear from you on the roll call.

Regards Suzanne

We did the half day trip and it was long enough for us. We did not book through the cruiseline . As you disembark the ship there are lots of vendors ready to sell you a trip. The price for a half day was €20 which included mini van round to the Dhow ( about 5 minutes) 4 hour cruise, fresh fruit, tea and soft drinks or water. We were dropped off at the ship on the way back and just had to walk round the pier.

Do you still know which company it was?

Do you still know which company it was?

I just found the card I picked up on the tour it is Khourshem Tours and they have a web site. There are several companies touting for business at the port and as far as we could see they were all similar.

• 1 year later...

I wonder if it is still the case that you can book a dhow cruise at the port in Khasab? What is the normal price right now for a half day dhow cruise? I know you can book online but I prefer to have a possibility to change our mind and book when we are in port if we feel like it.

I wonder if it is still the case that you can book a dhow cruise at the port in Khasab? What is the normal price right now for a half day dhow cruise? I know you can book online but I prefer to have a possibility to change our mind and book when we are in port if we feel like it.

We booked in advance direct with Dolphin Khasab Tours but there were lots of tour operators waiting on the dockside offering these tours. We paid Euros 30 each but the prices may well have gone up since last year. There will probably be several tour operators touting for business at the dockside but personally we wanted to make sure we got on a tour. The half day one was most enjoyable and we were then able to relax on board in the afternoon.

Good Luck with your plans.

Suzanne