Please don't move post - CELEBRITY cruises first hand experience at port of Ashdod

lisalovlee33

Please don't move my post. This sounds like a port question, but really is a Celebrity cruise question on the port in Ashdod. Thanks.

We will be in Israel, Celebrity 26 Oct (Haifa) - 27 Oct (Ashdod) - 28 Oct (Ashdod). While in Ashdod on the 27th we are planning to visit Jerusalem on our own. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but after a bit of research it appears that I can't walk out from the pier to the town on my own. We will have to take either a shuttle or a taxi specifically contracted to come in and out of the port.

1) Is the shuttle setup similar to the ones in Civitavecchia where it doesn't cost anything and takes you from ship to port gate? Or is this one of those $10 (more or less) shuttle that takes you out to the city center?

2) Shuttle times. Any idea when is the last shuttle (usually)?

3) Are taxis generally a lot cheaper outside of the port and are they available where the shuttle drops you off? (taxis priced as 323 NIS as of 2015 at the port)

4) Our biggest concern is if we do Ashdod - Jerusalem on our own and return later, say around 8 pm, we may not be able to get back to the ship if the shuttle ends late, or if we couldn't find this one special taxi company that can actually go into the port.

5) What email address should I send my question to regarding the port for Celebrity? Any idea?

Please advise.

Edited by lisalovlee33

I think you are making a easy port day very hard.....just pre book a taxi or private tour aprox $100 p/p for all day and get dropped off next to ship.

When I was in Ashdod a few years ago,you weren't allowed to walk to port entrance...it is a container port.

There were taxis at the ship $5 p/p to port entrance or arrange private tours...we had to meet our guide at port entrance...so paid the $5 each or take the ships shuttle...this was on Ncl.

Ashdod is way too far to walk too.

If I was to do it again I would book a private tour again....have a look a Guided Tours Israel...they are highly recommended on CC...get 6 people and have a stress free day.

I think you are making a easy port day very hard.....just pre book a taxi or private tour aprox $100 p/p for all day and get dropped off next to ship.

When I was in Ashdod a few years ago,you weren't allowed to walk to port entrance...it is a container port.

There were taxis at the ship $5 p/p to port entrance or arrange private tours...we had to meet our guide at port entrance...so paid the $5 each or take the ships shuttle...this was on Ncl.

Ashdod is way too far to walk too.

If I was to do it again I would book a private tour again....have a look a Guided Tours Israel...they are highly recommended on CC...get 6 people and have a stress free day.

Thanks for the reply. We prefer to do it on own, mainly because we prefer to wander around and see places we really like and spend more time in places we enjoy or skip other places we don't. Flexibility is the main reason. Doesn't hurt saving a few bucks doing so as well. Do you remember how late these shuttle or cabs run? As far as pre-booking a taxi, certainly I've thought of that. I've called the taxi company number provided and spoke to 3 different person who don't speak English. Do you have the website to do this? We don't plan to walk to Ashdod. We just want to spend the day in Jerusalem.

Edited by lisalovlee33

As someone who has made several trips to Israel, though not as a cruise stop, I urge you to rethink your plans. With only one day to see Jerusalem a tour is absolutely the way to go. Decide what you want to see and let an experienced tour guide get you there and explain what you are seeing. This is especially important in Jerusalem. You also will waste less of your precious time in transit by using a guide to get you where you want to go. I would want to research tour guides in advance and book one, not just grab a taxi at the pier or in Ashdod. The TA site can help you find a guide and their Israel forum has wonderful info and might be a good place to get answers to this and other questions.