Carnival Coupon Book

hknowles35

My husband are upset with Carnival over the coupon book they sell you at the shopping talk. We took our first cruise in May 2015. We went to the shopping and port talk and bought the coupon book for, my husband believes, $40 specifically because the lady doing the talk told everyone the coupons NEVER expired. Fast forward to now when we have a cruise booked for Sept. I go to get out the coupon book that "never expires" and lo and behold the back of the coupons say expires Dec 31, 2015. WTH??? I think this is ridiculous. We never would have spent so much money if we were not specifically told that you could use this coupon book again and again because they never expire. :mad:

Hi there

I don't know the specific of their sales pitch. I have attended the seminars but I was not impressed (for various reasons).

Of course you did purchase the " product " without close examination. You could certainly have demanded a refund if you had brought this issue up at that time.

Now, I would suggest you bring the booklet with you on your next cruise and explain your position. You would have the benefit of seeing how they promote the product this time. I would have thought that the booklets contained promotions for island specific products so I would normally imagine that there would be an expiration. However, you should give it a try and see what happens. They might give you a current booklet...that would be better than nothing.

good luck

have a great cruise

My husband are upset with Carnival over the coupon book they sell you at the shopping talk. We took our first cruise in May 2015. We went to the shopping and port talk and bought the coupon book for, my husband believes, $40 specifically because the lady doing the talk told everyone the coupons NEVER expired. Fast forward to now when we have a cruise booked for Sept. I go to get out the coupon book that "never expires" and lo and behold the back of the coupons say expires Dec 31, 2015. WTH??? I think this is ridiculous. We never would have spent so much money if we were not specifically told that you could use this coupon book again and again because they never expire. :mad:

I don't remember what the shopping expert said about expiration date. However, I did look through the book before I purchased it so I was aware of the expiration date.

We did a B2B (14 days w/8 ports) so I did get my money's worth. However, I would never buy one again.

So you did not read the fine print.

Yes, probably my error. But, the last thing I'm thinking when someone who I thought was a reputable Carnival employee says "And the best thing about this book is it never expires so you can use it again and again on your cruises" is oh I better check for an expiration date. I guess lesson learned but still upsetting. Really only would have liked it for the free charms representing each cruise port. I started the bracelet last cruise which was our first.

Went to a shopping talk on our first cruise and realized that they were pushing you to only go to shops where they earned a commission. At that point didnt trust them at all.

Rule of thumb with the world is that every time someone offers to save you money, it's a roundabout way of getting you to spend more. Not 100% of the time, but a very solid 99.99999%. You have to live and die by the fine print.

Honestly, that's why I joined CC. Having you all do some of the legwork for me is great! Thanks all!

Yes, probably my error. But, the last thing I'm thinking when someone who I thought was a reputable Carnival employee says "And the best thing about this book is it never expires so you can use it again and again on your cruises" is oh I better check for an expiration date. I guess lesson learned but still upsetting. Really only would have liked it for the free charms representing each cruise port. I started the bracelet last cruise which was our first.

Most of the Diamonds International's will give you the free charms without the coupon.

Rule of thumb with the world is that every time someone offers to save you money, it's a roundabout way of getting you to spend more. Not 100% of the time, but a very solid 99.99999%. You have to live and die by the fine print.

Honestly, that's why I joined CC. Having you all do some of the legwork for me is great! Thanks all!

Exactly. The fun is trying to get them to tell you what they want you to buy before their prepared pitch tells them too.

Unfortunately get too much practice from unwanted sales calls via telephone.

Usually the handouts they give you as you leave the ship, has a coupon to get the charms.

The shopping expert we had on the Sunshine in December was very honest and fair. She had lots and lots of coupon books from 2015 that were to expire. She gave them all out free as she said they were expiring. We got lots of free stuff with those coupons.

I think the coupon books are yearly so if you take a lot of cruises in a given year and buy it early in the year, it might be worth it. Otherwise, no.

As long as you have your DI bracelet with you, they'll give you a charm. No coupon necessary. And if you don't have your bracelet, just say "My bracelet is on the ship. Could I still please have my charm?" and they'll give you one. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just as a heads up, I have gotten the "free" charm bracelet and the charms you get from going to the suggested stores. Had so many and wasn't really my style, left them in the plastic I received them in. Years after, I decided to take them out and add to the bracelet. I had a child in mind to give it to. Thank goodness, I didn't get around to it for a couple of months. When I took out the bracelet with all the charms attached to give her, :eek:Totally discolored. Guess they can't stand up to air! So, don't waste your time, unless you want something that will turn color in a short time.:(

Just as a heads up, I have gotten the "free" charm bracelet and the charms you get from going to the suggested stores. Had so many and wasn't really my style, left them in the plastic I received them in. Years after, I decided to take them out and add to the bracelet. I had a child in mind to give it to. Thank goodness, I didn't get around to it for a couple of months. When I took out the bracelet with all the charms attached to give her, :eek:Totally discolored. Guess they can't stand up to air! So, don't waste your time, unless you want something that will turn color in a short time.:(

Typically free jewelry is worth just about what you pay for it.

Never bought the book.

Legally coupons have to have an expiration date. Could the coupons be like the Bed Bath and Beyond ones that are still calif even though they have an expiration date?

Bring it with you on your next cruise and go to a store or two to see if they'll still be accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We also bought the coupon book. At the shopping talk, they list all the free things you can get if you buy the book. The only problem is that many of the free things have stipulations like buy this and then you get a free... Or, you have to try on a piece of jewelry in order to get the free/cheap item. The shopping experts give you one minute to decide whether to buy or not during the talk. I would never buy the book again. As another poster said, the coupons in the maps that they give when you get off the ship at port had many of the same coupons.

The book costs $25 not $40 and one of the first things to get free is a beautiful necklace , heart shaped with a small diamond worth $150 . There is a lot of good free stuff besides the charms and bracelet. On the bottom of every page it clearly states that it expires the end of the year. Also in the book is a coupon for a free color changing tote from DelSole . I admit I don't wear the charm bracelets but I give them as gifts , I have gotten a lot over the years. Some shops will let you buy extra charms or even a completed bracelet.