SPB Peterhof Palace

I'm trying to decide if we should do the inside tour of Peterhof Palace. It looks gorgeous however I've had a guide tell me it's similar to Catherines and may not be worth the time. It's a 1 hour tour. Should I consider seeing one of the smaller palaces on the property such as Monplaisir in addition to the fountains and park?

I'm trying to decide if we should do the inside tour of Peterhof Palace. It looks gorgeous however I've had a guide tell me it's similar to Catherines and may not be worth the time. It's a 1 hour tour. Should I consider seeing one of the smaller palaces on the property such as Monplaisir in addition to the fountains and park?

There are some unknown details that would impact the advice we give or the decision you might want to make:

o How many days will you be in port in SPB?

o What will you be giving up either the day you visit Peterhof or overall in the visit if you add the time spent inside?

o How many other grand palaces will you be visiting?

The one piece of advice everyone will give you even without answers to those questions is that the fountains of Peterhof -- both the Grand Cascade and a huge percentage of the smaller fountains on the grounds -- are not to be missed.

The smaller fountains will be working from the moment the grounds open for the day; however, the Grand Cascade doesn't launch until 11:00 AM. That spectacle is definitely worth seeing. The extremely crowded viewing conditions along with everyone's attention on the fountain is a situation ripe for being pickpocketed. Don't lose yourself so totally in the spectacle that you lose track of your belongings.

FWIW, my husband and I combined the Cascade launch with a visit to the Cottage Palace rather than Mon Plaisir on our second trip to Peterhof.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We toured inside during our SPB private tour. It was hot, crowded and IMHO not worth seeing. Catherine's Palace was far more interesting and beautiful.

I would have preferred spending more time in the park during our visit to Peterhof.

I've been through both. Peterhof palace is a smaller and less opulent version of Catherine's. They don't allow photos inside Peterhof and I have trouble remembering all the rooms although Peter the Great's study was interesting. If you don't have time for both, go with Catherine's. as far as Peterhof it is more interesting to see the gardens and fountains and pavilions.

On group tours it's generally Catherine's only and they don't go inside Peterhof. They do this for a reason. If you're up for a private tour and you want to take the time, it can be interesting to see both, but if you're going to give up other stuff then stick with Catherine's.

Edited by makiramarlena

I'll be in SPB for 2 days and working with a tour group to get the best itinerary. One of their tours includes inside visit of Peterhof so I was thinking I could add that on. If it really isn't anything special and Catherine is better then I can skip it. We will be visiting Catherine the same day and yes will spend time visiting the fountains and park. Adding the inside tour I'll be giving up part of the "city sightseeing" in the morning + hydrofoil ride out to Peterhof

I'll be in SPB for 2 days and working with a tour group to get the best itinerary. One of their tours includes inside visit of Peterhof so I was thinking I could add that on. If it really isn't anything special and Catherine is better then I can skip it. We will be visiting Catherine the same day and yes will spend time visiting the fountains and park. Adding the inside tour I'll be giving up part of the "city sightseeing" in the morning + hydrofoil ride out to Peterhof

I've visited both Catherine Palace & Peterhof Grand Palace. Both are gorgeous but with only 2 days in port, I would recommend the Catherine Palace. Both palaces were designed in the same architectural style by the same architect. However, Catherine Palace has the restored Amber room which is, IMHO, not to be missed.

BTW - I love the Cottage Palace at Peterhof. Some cottage!! :D

I would also agree with my other fellow posters, Catherine's Palace is the one to see inside. Peteroff's main attraction are the fountains and the entire outside grounds.

If you want to tour another palace, try Yusupov Palace.

Cheers

Len

Whatever you do, make sure to see the gardens and fountains FIRST. We were with a small group who did the palace first. When we went in it was a beautiful, sunny day. By the time we exited the palace a shower had rolled in and the rest of the group did not want to see the gardens in the rain. Majority ruled and we went back to the ship without seeing arguably the most spectacular site in St. Petersburg. Lesson learned - do a totally private tour if you can swing it.

With whom will you do the private tour?

I haven't decided yet. I'm corresponding with several companies right now. Unfortunately it takes days to hear from someone. Sometimes I get a reply from someone different and told something else. Frustrating but hope to have it nailed down soon. I orig signed up with a group from my roll call but we decided even 16 was too many and some things we just don't want to do and want extra time at Hermitage.