renting car Warmunde to Berlin

I was all set to go with SPB Tours in Berlin and then my brothers said they want to rent a car at the cruise terminal and drive the autobahn to Berlin instead.

Has anyone done this? It does not seem to be a popular option and I'm not sure it's a good idea. Would we have to wait around for the car rental place to open?and could we drop off if they were closed by the time we return? How horrible is it to try and park in Berlin? I suspect navigation would not be much of a problem due to GPS.

What do you think? Should I talk them out of this and go w SPB?

if the search is working, seek Heinbloed's posts on Warnemunde. He gives pictures of where the car rentals are with information. The only thing to do it really do a dummy booking and see if you can drop off after the booth is closed. There are several (a few) right near the docks and I'm sure others have rented and done what you plan.

I do remember reading a review where the poster parked just outside Berlin proper and took the streetcar into the city, this might be an option for you as well.

I was all set to go with SPB Tours in Berlin and then my brothers said they want to rent a car at the cruise terminal and drive the autobahn to Berlin instead.

Has anyone done this? It does not seem to be a popular option and I'm not sure it's a good idea. Would we have to wait around for the car rental place to open?and could we drop off if they were closed by the time we return? How horrible is it to try and park in Berlin? I suspect navigation would not be much of a problem due to GPS.

What do you think? Should I talk them out of this and go w SPB?

Hi,

There are at two car rental firms offering pick-up and drop-off at the cruise terminal in Warnemünde. As they have located depots there specifically to serve the cruise ships I assume that they tailor their hours to suit the ships schedules. Both web sites are in English.

http://www.europcar.com/car-rental-R...RNEMUENDE.html

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/germa...nde-cruise-ctr

I do have personal experience of booking on-line and hiring from both these companies in various countries and have always been satisfied with their service.

Hiring a car would be the quickest and most comfortable way and there is a big car park near the Central Station or, if you don't want to waste time driving in the city traffic, all the suburban stations on the s-bahn line have car parking and frequent trains into the city. The only thing you have to consider carefully is allowing enough time to get back in case of traffic hold-ups. The coach drivers, who know the roads, always have a 'route B' in mind but this is difficult for someone not familiar with the area.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

PS I am not criticising other peoples web sites but please be careful to check when they were last updated. Things have changed a great deal in the last two years as the number of ships docking in Warnemünde has increased.

thank you, Travelanni!!!! I was hoping you would respond. so you think it's a reasonable thing to do? my brothers are really into the driving so I'd like to do it this way to make them happy as long as it's not a dumb idea.

thank you, Travelanni!!!! I was hoping you would respond. so you think it's a reasonable thing to do? my brothers are really into the driving so I'd like to do it this way to make them happy as long as it's not a dumb idea.

It is a reasonable thing to do as long as you are comfortable with driving in Germany. At least you are, unlike me, on the same side of the road!

The autobahn is great and the signage international so, together with a GPS, navigation is not a problem.

My advice would be not to drive into the city but to park at an s-bahn station close to the autobahn and take a train from there. If you come in on the E26 the closest s-bahn station to that road is Schulzendorf. Or if you carry on down the E55 then the 114 you have a choice between Berlin-Blankenburg and Pankow-Heinersdorf, both quite a bit closer to the city. Maybe someone who has done it can come up with a better suggestion.

As I said, just make sure you allow for unforseen delays on the way back. They do not happen often but can be real hold-ups when they do. If you understand German then a good way to avoid problems is to listen to a local radio station. Their road reports are excellent.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

As one who often rents cars in Europe (on both cruises and extended driving trips) we would offer one important caveat. It is a long way (nearly 200 miles) between Warnemunde and Berlin. When driving that kind of distance during a port day one should always have a good "Plan B" which is what to do in the event you would miss the ship. Depending on your ship's itinerary this can be a major problem (especially if the following port is St Petersburg). We would only consider a rental car (at this port) if we could catch the ship the following day.

It is not that we are alarmists, but just experienced independent travelers (and cruisers) with over forty years experience. Most of the time independent travel is wonderful. But there are times that things can go horribly wrong (like getting stuck on the Autobahn because of a major accident) and one needs to be prepared.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

As one who often rents cars in Europe (on both cruises and extended driving trips) we would offer one important caveat. It is a long way (nearly 200 miles) between Warnemunde and Berlin. When driving that kind of distance during a port day one should always have a good "Plan B" which is what to do in the event you would miss the ship. Depending on your ship's itinerary this can be a major problem (especially if the following port is St Petersburg). We would only consider a rental car (at this port) if we could catch the ship the following day.

It is not that we are alarmists, but just experienced independent travelers (and cruisers) with over forty years experience. Most of the time independent travel is wonderful. But there are times that things can go horribly wrong (like getting stuck on the Autobahn because of a major accident) and one needs to be prepared.

Hank

I agree. You have said what I tried to say but done it so very much better, thanks. :)

Just a small point - the distance is 201 kilometers or 125 miles, travel time on the autobahn about 2 to 2.5 hours.

Anni

I agree. You have said what I tried to say but done it so very much better, thanks. :)

Just a small point - the distance is 201 kilometers or 125 miles, travel time on the autobahn about 2 to 2.5 hours.

Anni

ARGH! Hard to get my mind off of "miles" as it is clearly pasted to my brain :). But you are correct and I did mean to say Kilometers :). When I drive in Europe (or Canada) it takes me a few days to start thinking in Kilometers. But I do love when I can drive at speeds like 130 :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Gosh, I haven't driven on the Autobahn in 45 years, since my days in the service in Germany. I'm sure things have changed and Anni can help us with this, but back then, the mortality rate for people driving the Autobahn was highest in the world. People are NUT's driving those roads.

Are there still no speed limits on most of the roads (or close to no speed limits).

Personally, while the thrill of driving may be great, since you still have to take the train to get into Berlin, I would just opt for the train all the way, or book a tour. A whole lot safer and relaxing.

Cheers

Len

thank you all so much for your input. it's my brothers who are itching to drive the autobahn, I could not care less. luckily the day after Berlin is a sea day and then it's Tallin and not St. P. it would stink to miss the boat but it's nothing that money and effort couldn't fix. I'll give your input to my brothers and see what they have to say. thanks again.

I've driven the autobahn since 1971, when I first went to Germany with the 8th Infantry Division, and I quickly learned two important things: the German word "stau" and only getting in the far left line if I was doing 160+ kph (and even then, I have had cars come up behind me flashing their lights, and after my pulling over, passing me like I was standing still).

Gosh, I haven't driven on the Autobahn in 45 years, since my days in the service in Germany. I'm sure things have changed and Anni can help us with this, but back then, the mortality rate for people driving the Autobahn was highest in the world. People are NUT's driving those roads.

Are there still no speed limits on most of the roads (or close to no speed limits).

Personally, while the thrill of driving may be great, since you still have to take the train to get into Berlin, I would just opt for the train all the way, or book a tour. A whole lot safer and relaxing.

Cheers

Len

Hi Len,

Yes, things have changed. :D There is still no speed limit on most of the autobahns but I am continually amazed how low the fatal accident rate is here in the North (I can't speak for the rest of the country), especially compared to Australia where there is a speed limit.

The speed limit on other roads varies between 70k and 100k depending on the road but it is always 30k through villages and towns.

I do not drive here (too old a dog to teach new tricks - like swapping sides of the road) but travel frequently as a passenger and I have to admit that I feel far safer here than the motorways in either England or Australia where I do drive. Although they drive very fast, drivers on the autobahn are very disciplined and stick to the rule which leaves the far right lane free for fast, overtaking traffic. No trucks allowed in that lane and you must get back to the left immediately after overtaking. In fact I would much rather travel at 150k on the autobahn with overtaking cars leaving you feeling like you were standing still than travel at 70k on minor roads with idiots who think they are on the autobahn overtaking in dangerous situations.

It is more relaxing to go by train to Berlin but unfortunately the schedules do not fit in well with the arrival and departure times of the cruise ships and the actual journey takes up to 1 hour longer. From a cruise ship docking at 7am, by the time you get to Berlin by train you could have been sightseeing in the city for two hours if you had travelled by coach or car.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Anni, quick question. Friday in July. Ship departs Warnemunde at 11:59 pm. What is the latest you would feel comfortable leaving Berlin with a hired driver?

Hi,

If I were driving I would be leaving at least three hours before on-board time but if you are hiring a local, professional driver he/she will know how much time to allow, where all the possible trouble spots may be and be listening to the radio for traffic reports with a route B in mind if needed. They know how important it is not to miss the ship and their reputation, and therefore future business with cruise ship passengers, depends on getting you back in time.

Anni

they boyz want the experience of the drive so that's the way we'll go. does it make any sense at all to hire a guide for when we get into the city? or will that be too difficult logistically? we are good travel planners so I suppose we can hit the highlights on our own with a bit of research, right? want to focus on **** and USSR. don't care about other stuff there since time is so short.

they boyz want the experience of the drive so that's the way we'll go. does it make any sense at all to hire a guide for when we get into the city? or will that be too difficult logistically? we are good travel planners so I suppose we can hit the highlights on our own with a bit of research, right? want to focus on **** and USSR. don't care about other stuff there since time is so short.

Well, right now the USSR doesn't exist any more..... :D

ha ha of course I know... funny the forum software starred out what I said... which was that I wanted to focus on "Notsy" and USSR history while in Berlin. wish I had more time there but I'll take what I can get.

in case anyone else is interested in driving to Berlin, here is the info I just received from Europcar: "the cruise center office in Warnemeunde is actually only open when cruise ships dock or leave and customers have booked a car there. So renting and dropping of a car from that station should be absolutely no problem, it simply needs to be arranged with the Rostock station. You can reach them via phone at +49 (0381) 203050, or you can contact our German customer service team at de_facebook@europcar.com."

• 2 years later...

Hank

Hello again Hank--we last "spoke" when you gave me some great advice on Venice for our fall 2015 trip. I need your expertise again, please.

Four of us are doing the Princess Baltic cruise in Aug 2017. I'm planning already. :)

We'd like to do several days pre-cruise in Berlin. Any hotel recommendations mid-range price?

Any advice on the best way to get from the airport to the hotel?

And what is your advice for the best way to get from the hotel to the port? The train seems endlessly complicated....

In Rome we used Rome In Limo--do you know of a company like that in Berlin?

And I'd love to hear your thoughts on renting a car one way to the port. It would appear many people have done this successfully. Do you think it's too risky time-wise? Our port after Berlin is Tallinn (after a day at sea)

Thanks in advance for your time!

Hi Len,

Yes, things have changed. :D There is still no speed limit on most of the autobahns but I am continually amazed how low the fatal accident rate is here in the North (I can't speak for the rest of the country), especially compared to Australia where there is a speed limit.

The speed limit on other roads varies between 70k and 100k depending on the road but it is always 30k through villages and towns.

I do not drive here (too old a dog to teach new tricks - like swapping sides of the road) but travel frequently as a passenger and I have to admit that I feel far safer here than the motorways in either England or Australia where I do drive. Although they drive very fast, drivers on the autobahn are very disciplined and stick to the rule which leaves the far right lane free for fast, overtaking traffic. No trucks allowed in that lane and you must get back to the left immediately after overtaking. In fact I would much rather travel at 150k on the autobahn with overtaking cars leaving you feeling like you were standing still than travel at 70k on minor roads with idiots who think they are on the autobahn overtaking in dangerous situations.

It is more relaxing to go by train to Berlin but unfortunately the schedules do not fit in well with the arrival and departure times of the cruise ships and the actual journey takes up to 1 hour longer. From a cruise ship docking at 7am, by the time you get to Berlin by train you could have been sightseeing in the city for two hours if you had travelled by coach or car.

Anni

(Bolding by me)

I really don't want to correct you, but as I live in that country I wouldn't want to use the right lane for overtaking - that's the English way of driving "on the wrong side of the road" :cool:

The right lane is the slow one, mostly used by coaches and vans and slow traffic , the left lane is the fast one and I really mean fast!!! Be prepared for cars flashing their lights behind you if you roll along at "only" 180 km/h.... (120 m/h)

I have rented a car for our port stop in Warmunde with Sixt. I've heard of auto-bahn and know it's a road where people can drive fast. Is this just one road or all "interstate highways"? Any other rules of the road to know while driving in Germany? I plan on going to Lubeck

I have rented a car for our port stop in Warmunde with Sixt. I've heard of auto-bahn and know it's a road where people can drive fast. Is this just one road or all "interstate highways"? Any other rules of the road to know while driving in Germany? I plan on going to Lubeck

Autobahn means expressway or like the U.S. interstate roads. Buy a map of the area before you leave, Amazon or Rand McNally is a great resource and you can find some very good "B" roads which will actually take you through scenic parts. If you stay on the Autobahn you will see absolutely nothing!!

(Bolding by me)

I really don't want to correct you, but as I live in that country I wouldn't want to use the right lane for overtaking - that's the English way of driving "on the wrong side of the road" :cool:

The right lane is the slow one, mostly used by coaches and vans and slow traffic , the left lane is the fast one and I really mean fast!!! Be prepared for cars flashing their lights behind you if you roll along at "only" 180 km/h.... (120 m/h)

Quite right! Driving that way would be certain death.

I seem to be unable to get right and left the proper way round either in writing or verbally. 'Never listen to my mouth, always watch my hands' is my advice when giving directions but unfortunately no-one could see my hands and this terrible faux pas illustrates my problem perfectly.

I am mortified.

Wish someone had pounced on it straight away. Thanks, gray jay.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni