Anyone Taken Friends of Dave Tour in Warnemunde?

I booked my tour with Dave about six months in advance, but he didn't require payment right away... so I would book and then pay closer to the date of your cruise. My tour with him is on Monday - I'm very much looking forward to it, as I've read amazing reviews, and Dave is highly recommended by Rick Steeves as well - and Rick has never let me down!

• 2 weeks later...
Carmen, let us know when you get back how the tour went. I'm still deciding on what to do for this port stop.

If you'd rather see Warnemuende and Rostock on your own, you might like to do some or all of what we did. We started the day by renting bicycles in Warnemuende (there's a couple of shops in town for this). There's a great bike trail which follows the ocean to another seaside town about an hour's ride away. We rode there and back (9 euros for all-day rental) and then bought some fish sandwiches for lunch and walked around town a bit. We then took the train to Rostock and walked down to the fascinating Stasi Prison Museum (free admission and free audio tour in English). We were the only people there for much of the time which only added to the "atmosphere". (Very friendly staff). We then walked down to the pedestrian shopping center for some shopping--gotta have some Rittersport chocolate--before taking the train back to Warnemuende.

We really enjoyed our "non-standard" tour of this area. We definitely saw things and did things most cruise visitors don't see or do.

Thanks GRADUT, the word bike trail is enough to get my attn however It could make for a nice morning run. I'll be well into marathon training by then which will make for some fun sea days. I looked up info on Stasi prison and it could be a movie set for sure. I didn't know that area was in east Germany either so that is something to keep on the interest list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We did Dave's Warnemunde, Shwerin and Wismar tour last July and loved it. Dave was suffering from health problems at the time so the tour was led by his assistant Christian and I would have to say that it was his input that really made the tour so memorable and enjoyable compared to others we took in the Baltics. Where the St Peterburg tour (with Alla tours) felt very scripted and controlled (the guide was hugely knowledgeable but I was suffering from severe information overload by the end of it) Christian's style was much more laid back and informal and he peppered his commentary with little anecdotes from his own life growing up in the area (he was born in Warnemunde 3 months before the Berlin wall came down). These little personal insights really brought the tour and the places we visited alive for us and I would highly recommend this tour.

Just got back from our cruise, which included to FOD tour. The tour was fantastic. Christian is an informative and entertaining tour guide. Dave is no longer guiding himself. It's Christian and someone else. Even my very picky DH loved it. The tours for our cruise did not sell out until maybe 4 months before. We were lucky that a party of 4 on our roll call had to cancel and we grabbed their spots. The term "happy stop" will forever be part of my family's travel lexicon from now on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Thanks for all the earlier posts about Dave's tour. I've decided to book the Hansa tour in Warnemunde and then spend a few days in Berlin at the end of our cruise. I have only one question: how early did you book? My cruise isn't until September 2017, but I want to make sure I get a seat on the tour. Thanks for any replies. :)

We booked early with Dave and were surprised to receive information from him on the other ports we would be visiting. He also recommended a tour in St. Petersburg that was so good we have recommended it to others. It has been several years since we took Dave's tour but we still think he is the best tour guide we have ever used. We hope to take one of the river cruises he offers on AMA waterways.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

we are very disappointed that a FOD regular tour is not being offered for the day we are in Warnemunde on a Viking Ocean cruise. Instead Dave is offering a walking tour of the town. :mad:

We are trying to figure out what else we should do for the long day

Has anyone used another tour company? The ship's tours are not nearly as extensive as Dave's.