Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

We did this trip last summer. The walk to Avis is several blocks. I walk with a cane and it was a bit far for me. Regular walkers 10 minutes. After you pick up the car, head back the way you walked. There is an entrance that will allow you to within 100 ft or so for pickup. This was the highlight of the trip and is not to be missed. The first platform at the first viewing spot is all accessible. The others require many stairs. I stayed at the first while DW walked to the others for photos. Have a great trip

We did this trip last summer. The walk to Avis is several blocks. I walk with a cane and it was a bit far for me. Regular walkers 10 minutes. After you pick up the car, head back the way you walked. There is an entrance that will allow you to within 100 ft or so for pickup. This was the highlight of the trip and is not to be missed. The first platform at the first viewing spot is all accessible. The others require many stairs. I stayed at the first while DW walked to the others for photos. Have a great trip

Thank you for the reply[emoji4]...

How are you?..any cruises on the horizon?

Hi Lars

In 2014 we did a Norway cruise and you were extremely helpful so here we go again.

We are going to Geiranger (did hop on hop off) stop off Hellesylt

Trondheim , Leknes, Honningsvaag, Tromso, Alesund (did Troll rd) and Bergen ( Stave Church etc last time).

Would love new ideas for the ports we have done, cheaper DIY would be great. For the new ports would love to know the don't miss spots and maybe if we could rent a car.

Would love to photograph Puffins!

Thanks so much, Karen

Edited by happy_travellers

We will be on a cruise that visits Stavanger and Kristiansand next year. On a previous cruise from Bergen and Alesand, we hiked up to the top of the towns (cities?) on trails and back down again (in Bergen near the funicular). From Flam, we took the train to Myrdal and then hiked back to the ship on trails. We have been to Stavanger but did a Pulpit Rock cruise. This time we are looking for hiking opportunities that do not require transportation like it would for the Pulpit Rock.

Do Kristiansand and Stavanger has anything hiking opportunities like Bergen and Alesand, where we can take trails up and down to the highest point and to walk on trails at the top without having to take transportation out of the towns first? We will be sure to visit the Stavanger old town and maybe take in a museum, but we are also hoping for some outdoor activity such as on trails without having to take transportation outside the towns to do the hikes.

TIA!

You are lucky to be able to visit 7-8 times.

The boat to Langevåg goes from next to the cruise pier.

The boats from "Skateflua" / Tourist office are for the islands.

You can take any departure you want.

The "Busskorr til/fra Langevag" - means there is a bus coresponding to/from Langevåg.

You do pay the fare on the boat and from what I gather the price is NOK 65 one way.

http://www.frammr.no/Portals/0/Dokumenter/Prisar/TakstarHurtigbaat2016_v6.pdf

I never really advocate doing hikes on your own in unfamiliar areas.

However this site should give you a few ideas for hikes:

http://fjellglede.blogspot.no/2014/10/blafjellet.html

I-Cruiser,

First, apologies for my long delay in responding with appreciation to you helpful reply to my questions about boat travel to Langevag. I would normally convey thanks sooner; but your reply came after my travels were underway, and time (and internet) always seem in short supply when I’m traveling.

I appreciate your wise concern about hiking the unknown alone. At 70, I hope I try to be cautious and careful. I know the risks of injury. As for navigation, I research carefully, and use a GPS which contains the complete Norway Topo Experience map set.

This past Wednesday was my long port day in Alesund. As you may recall, weather was less than ideal with a low ceiling. However, I went ahead with the plan. Your helpful answers about the express boat were perfect and reassuring. I timed the departure well, and twenty minutes after I stepped off the ship I was standing in Langevag! (Roundtrip fare is available for 78 Krone.)

I am mostly writing to recommend the area above Langevag for exercise and hiking, in my opinion one of the best hiking areas from any cruise port in Norway for the tourist/walker/hiker. The scenery is consistently more rewarding than the Floyen area above Bergen or the Bymarka of Trondheim. The main trails are less demanding than most of the Geiranger trails. Although not as dramatic in the final views, it is far less crowded than the trail to Pulpit Rock.

In particular, the trail up to Blafjellet (which I had been looking at and for which you linked a website) is a perfect introductory tourist hike. Yes, uphill demanding, of course; it’s impossible to reach 344 meters without some exertion. But, once the trailhead is located, it is clearly marked, a smooth, wide gravel/dirt ATV or tractor trail, which could be walked with good athletic shoes. The views are consistently spectacular. There are even picnic tables in attractive spots along the way. For a tourist, I would have said Sukkertoppen was the best accessible little hike out of Alesund. But, Blafjellet is easier access (thanks to the convenience of the boat), less demanding underfoot, and rewards with equal or better distant vistas.

And, one can go beyond. I continued to over 500 meters (unfortunately into the cloud) on the same trail. There are marked side trails which appear to be more true hiking, with bouldering. I will be back next week and plan to explore one or two of these.

Your help with the transport logistics reassured me enough to explore. What I discovered surprised me. I think it is a promising hiking area that should be getting more attention from the various tourist information resources.

Thanks!

I have been looking into the expected weather for our visit in August - I noticed looking at the almanac that the majority of the days have some rain.

Do rainy day follow a typical pattern? Here in the summer we will frequently get rain in the evening to overnight. Sometimes stretching into the morning. But the afternoons are typically dry.

Of course there is always the chance of a day-long downpour - but I am wondering if the Norwegian Fjords might follow a similar pattern?

Hi Lars

In 2014 we did a Norway cruise and you were extremely helpful so here we go again.

We are going to Geiranger (did hop on hop off) stop off Hellesylt

Trondheim , Leknes, Honningsvaag, Tromso, Alesund (did Troll rd) and Bergen ( Stave Church etc last time).

Would love new ideas for the ports we have done, cheaper DIY would be great. For the new ports would love to know the don't miss spots and maybe if we could rent a car.

Would love to photograph Puffins!

Thanks so much, Karen

Hi Karen and welcome back:-)

In Geiranger if you stop in Hellesylt why not make a overland tour to Geiranger.

This is easiest done with the ships tour. Doing the overland tour you get to explore more inland and mountain ranges. You will come back down to Geiranger via Mt. Dalsnibba.

In Ålesund: I would suggest renting a car and head to Hjørundfjord and the Hotel Union at the village of Øye. Drive the Norangsdalen which is spectacular.

Not sure how much time you have in port but you should allow 7-8 hours for this tour.

In Bergen did you do the Mt. Fløyen funicular? If not that should be on your list to do. Trollhaugen, the former home to the composer Edward Grieg is an interesting place to spend a few hours.

We will be on a cruise that visits Stavanger and Kristiansand next year. On a previous cruise from Bergen and Alesand, we hiked up to the top of the towns (cities?) on trails and back down again (in Bergen near the funicular). From Flam, we took the train to Myrdal and then hiked back to the ship on trails. We have been to Stavanger but did a Pulpit Rock cruise. This time we are looking for hiking opportunities that do not require transportation like it would for the Pulpit Rock.

Do Kristiansand and Stavanger has anything hiking opportunities like Bergen and Alesand, where we can take trails up and down to the highest point and to walk on trails at the top without having to take transportation out of the towns first? We will be sure to visit the Stavanger old town and maybe take in a museum, but we are also hoping for some outdoor activity such as on trails without having to take transportation outside the towns to do the hikes.

TIA!

Very good question:-) Not to familiar with those two cities as they are located far south in Norway.

However, I found this and hope it can be of some help:http://www.mapmyhike.com/no/kristiansand-vest-agder/http://www.mapmyhike.com/no/stavanger-rogaland/

Maybe someone here can chime in and help:):)

I-Cruiser,

First, apologies for my long delay in responding with appreciation to you helpful reply to my questions about boat travel to Langevag. I would normally convey thanks sooner; but your reply came after my travels were underway, and time (and internet) always seem in short supply when I’m traveling.

I appreciate your wise concern about hiking the unknown alone. At 70, I hope I try to be cautious and careful. I know the risks of injury. As for navigation, I research carefully, and use a GPS which contains the complete Norway Topo Experience map set.

This past Wednesday was my long port day in Alesund. As you may recall, weather was less than ideal with a low ceiling. However, I went ahead with the plan. Your helpful answers about the express boat were perfect and reassuring. I timed the departure well, and twenty minutes after I stepped off the ship I was standing in Langevag! (Roundtrip fare is available for 78 Krone.)

I am mostly writing to recommend the area above Langevag for exercise and hiking, in my opinion one of the best hiking areas from any cruise port in Norway for the tourist/walker/hiker. The scenery is consistently more rewarding than the Floyen area above Bergen or the Bymarka of Trondheim. The main trails are less demanding than most of the Geiranger trails. Although not as dramatic in the final views, it is far less crowded than the trail to Pulpit Rock.

In particular, the trail up to Blafjellet (which I had been looking at and for which you linked a website) is a perfect introductory tourist hike. Yes, uphill demanding, of course; it’s impossible to reach 344 meters without some exertion. But, once the trailhead is located, it is clearly marked, a smooth, wide gravel/dirt ATV or tractor trail, which could be walked with good athletic shoes. The views are consistently spectacular. There are even picnic tables in attractive spots along the way. For a tourist, I would have said Sukkertoppen was the best accessible little hike out of Alesund. But, Blafjellet is easier access (thanks to the convenience of the boat), less demanding underfoot, and rewards with equal or better distant vistas.

And, one can go beyond. I continued to over 500 meters (unfortunately into the cloud) on the same trail. There are marked side trails which appear to be more true hiking, with bouldering. I will be back next week and plan to explore one or two of these.

Your help with the transport logistics reassured me enough to explore. What I discovered surprised me. I think it is a promising hiking area that should be getting more attention from the various tourist information resources.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for this wonderful and really helpful report.

I love to read such feedback and experiences.

I have been looking into the expected weather for our visit in August - I noticed looking at the almanac that the majority of the days have some rain.

Do rainy day follow a typical pattern? Here in the summer we will frequently get rain in the evening to overnight. Sometimes stretching into the morning. But the afternoons are typically dry.

Of course there is always the chance of a day-long downpour - but I am wondering if the Norwegian Fjords might follow a similar pattern?

Hi Linda - I wish there were some method in the madness.:D

We can have rain in the early mornings then it clears up for a few hours just to rain again in the afternoon....or not..... :-)

Its just to unpredictable.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Just want to say that I visited Aalesund on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and was absolutely captivated by the city and its location. I loved all the Art Nouveau buildings. You are very lucky to live in such a lovely place.

Thank you. I am glad you had such a wonderful time.

Its a lovely little town and we are lucky to be able to be living just steps away from Brosundet (or the canal that rund through the town)

Hi Linda - I wish there were some method in the madness.:D

We can have rain in the early mornings then it clears up for a few hours just to rain again in the afternoon....or not..... :-)

Its just to unpredictable.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

No problem, we were already planning on bringing waterproof jackets - I will just make sure we have adequate shoes if there is a high chance will be out in the rain some. :)

I'll check the forecast right before we leave...maybe we will get lucky, but we are sure to enjoy ourselves no matter what!

I have no concern about viruses, this question is purely about comfort:

Are mosquitoes a nuisance, and is there time where they are particularly bad? I had read somewhere it can be a concern in the fjords area. We are trying to consider which month to schedule a cruise and we are interested in one of the cruises that would go up as far as Tromso or perhaps the North Cape. (Two cruises on my short list are during the second half of June and the second half of August.)

Sue

We have a cruise next July that goes to Alesund and Bergen. We have been to both. In Alesund, we went to the viewpoint, Brodunset, and the road that is very steep. In Bergen, we went to the stave church, museum, Brygen and the funicular up the mountain. Can you think of anything scenic or fun to do that we have missed? Thank you

I have no concern about viruses, this question is purely about comfort:

Are mosquitoes a nuisance, and is there time where they are particularly bad? I had read somewhere it can be a concern in the fjords area. We are trying to consider which month to schedule a cruise and we are interested in one of the cruises that would go up as far as Tromso or perhaps the North Cape. (Two cruises on my short list are during the second half of June and the second half of August.)

Sue

Sue - I doubt very much mosquitoes are going to be a problem in the fjords.

I have not noticed any while cruising the fjords. On land, at sunset its a different matter.

The mosquitoes would be more active in June and July.

As for your shortlist I would prefer to cruise in late June opposed to late August as you stand a better chance of nice weather in June. Also you will have 24hrs daylight in June.

We have a cruise next July that goes to Alesund and Bergen. We have been to both. In Alesund, we went to the viewpoint, Brodunset, and the road that is very steep. In Bergen, we went to the stave church, museum, Brygen and the funicular up the mountain. Can you think of anything scenic or fun to do that we have missed? Thank you

Hi there.

If you mean Trollstigen as the road that is very steep you should see my suggestion a few posts down where I mention a day trip to the Norandsdalen, Union Hotel at Øye.

It would make for a wonderful day out.

Well, we've been back for 3 weeks but of course busy and just have to post. Our vacation was beyond awesome and I am a full blooded norwegian but made in the USA. lol. I was amazed at how beautiful this country is. I, of course, knew that it was beautiful by the photos I had seen but it far exceeded my expectations. Our itinerary was as follows: 3 nights in Copenhagen, 2 nights Oslo, flew to Hamburg and spent the night and boarded the ship the next day. We were on a 11 night cruise. We went to Alesund, Honningsvag, Tromso, Leknes, Lofoten Islands, Trondheim, Geiranger and Bergen. All that I had read said Geiranger and the Lofoten Islands were a must. I must say that they were my favorites. I was surprised at the color of the water in Lofoten. There is a reason why the Norwegians go here and vacation. It's gorgeous. Mt. Dalsnibba/Geiranger is beyond gorgeous. The view from the mountain is unreal. I actually got kind of car sick from the twisty roads--its amazing how the buses maneuver around the turns. As I said before I'm into photography and yep I dragged around a very heavy camera bag with various lenses, tripod and it was a royal pain but my photos are so worth all the pain. A few things we noted is try to travel light--I'm a heavy packer and truly was amazed that we left with one suitcase but I took my laptop because of photos--that was a big mistake--just really downloaded camera cards which I wouldn't have had to done. I got many of them. It wasn't worth dragging around. We bought special water shoes which was suggested--they were heavy--never used them once and yep we encountered rain in two places--one of which was Alesund I might add and the other a few hours in Bergen. We could have done with alot less and I've learned my lesson. We are both 64 and though not old we aren't in our 30's either. Luckily in Copenhagen we asked a gal the way to public transportation and she looked at our luggage and suggested a cab and we listened. All I can say is thank God. We had a room across the street from Tivoli Gardens which was nice but not exactly close to Central Station. Its not fun dragging luggage around. We learned quickly to say forget it and get a cab. We had danish money, norway money and went to Germany and used public transportation and had no euros with and guess what the ticket machine didn't take cards. Ugggh. We took $300 worth of norway money and $100 worth of danish money and it was more than enough. We didn't even need it--just used it to get rid of it. Everywhere took cards. Also, there was a language problem and had trouble finding someone who spoke english at the station. Actually never found anybody. I managed to communicate with a german trying to find a cash machine and we somehow communicated and I did find one. Also, the station did not have a public bathroom believe it or not. I had actually researched for a year and had printouts of directions and had files on my phone and thought it would go smoothly. We had trouble at times. In Alesund, it was pouring rain when we got off the ship which wasn't fun but it was ok--we had rain coats with hoods but I guess the directions didn't go clearly. We thought the car rental agency was much closer to the ship than it actually was. What seems like a short distance to a Norwegian may not be such a short distance to an American or somebody else. We learned that you may have a plan before you leave home but you might find yourself not following that plan at all and guess what that's ok!!! You truly can't go wrong on this trip. There is beauty everywhere you look and I can't stress that enough. As I said, it was pouring rain in Alesund and we had a car rental and oh how I wanted to see the Trollstigen--the weather cleared but guess what--clouds everywhere and at the top couldn't see 3 feet in front of you let alone that there was the twisty roads below. Guess what--the drive there was gorgeous and I have awesome photos to prove it. I will be posting photos somewhere online -- I took so many photos and for every shot I took my camera took 6 photos--its called bracketing so I'm estimating about 15,000 photos and I've gone through alot but this is a process especially when work gets in the way. If you are thinking of taking a trip by all means go for it. You won't be disappointed. By the way we went on Costa cruise line and I was prepared for an awful cruise line. The itinerary was absolutely perfect and we can't afford Viking and the cruise lines that charge 10,000 per person. The room was comparable to a princess or holland america almost. We had a balcony room which was nice. The only thing that totally sucked was the food and it was absolutely awful. We have taken alot of cruises and different cruise lines and this was the worst food we'd ever have. I'd still take that cruise though - the itinerary was more important to us than food.

This is a long post and I hope that it helps somebody. I-cruiser is amazing and if I can help anybody please ask away.

Linda

Georgia, USA

Oh, we ended up touring at Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen on the hop on and hop off and it worked well for us. We got off where we wanted and got back on.

Leknes we rented a car

Alesund we rented a car

Geiranger we did the Mt. Dalsnibba tour which I highly recommend

Tromso we actually rented a car and did a driving tour which was awesome and still had time for the Arctic Church, drive around town, the waterfront etc.

Trondheim we walked.

Copenhagen & Oslo---hop on and hop off

Edited by linderbelle

I am finalizing my notes for our trip and have gotten to Ålesund :) We have rented a car and are going to drive to Trollstigen, stopping off at the Fjellstua viewpoint before returning the car. We should have time to see a little of the town in the afternoon or evening - our ship is there from 8am-8pm.

My question - we would like to drive a loop to Trollstigen and back instead of backtracking. Does it matter which way you go up and which way back down? So E39 and E136 up in the morning and RV 63 toward Valldal back down in the afternoon or switched :D

Better traffic going one way vs the other - most people might tend to take E39 &136 because that is the shortest route? It shows as the marked route on Google maps for example.

Better scenery morning vs. afternoon on one route vs the other?

Is it too late in the season to get fresh berries near Valldal?

Edited by MNfamilycruiser

I am finalizing my notes for our trip and have gotten to Ålesund :) We have rented a car and are going to drive to Trollstigen, stopping off at the Fjellstua viewpoint before returning the car. We should have time to see a little of the town in the afternoon or evening - our ship is there from 8am-8pm.

My question - we would like to drive a loop to Trollstigen and back instead of backtracking. Does it matter which way you go up and which way back down? So E39 and E136 up in the morning and RV 63 toward Valldal back down in the afternoon or switched :D

Better traffic going one way vs the other - most people might tend to take E39 &136 because that is the shortest route? It shows as the marked route on Google maps for example.

Better scenery morning vs. afternoon on one route vs the other?

Is it too late in the season to get fresh berries near Valldal?

For me it is as easy as I prefer to drive down Trollstigen because its just that more dramatic and spectacular.

I would suggest Valldal - Trollstigen - Åndalsnes - and back out to Ålesund.

If you have time and the weather holds I would suggest stopping at Trollveggen (the Trollwall mt) Its the larges vertical wall mt. in Europe. The Trollveggen is only a 20 minute drive from Trollstigen.

As for berries - the season is coming to an end so not sure if you are able to get any berries.

I know its been a hit and miss to get them in the shops this year.

Linderbelle (Linda) Thank you for the trip review.

I am glad you had such a great cruise.

A fun thing about researching, planning and travelling is that plans always always change. Sometimes we have back up plans sometimes we just roll with it.

Sue - I doubt very much mosquitoes are going to be a problem in the fjords.

I have not noticed any while cruising the fjords. On land, at sunset its a different matter.

The mosquitoes would be more active in June and July.

As for your shortlist I would prefer to cruise in late June opposed to late August as you stand a better chance of nice weather in June. Also you will have 24hrs daylight in June.

Sorry I'm a little slow, but thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that's one less thing to worry about.

We probably won't do this trip until 2018, but I want to book as soon as it becomes available, and I'm sure I'll be back many times. Thank you in advance for the help you give here.

Sue