Copenhagen: which castle is best?

Our July Baltic cruise stops in Copenhagen, and we're interested in doing a castle, but there are so many to choose from! So, I thought I'd ask what your favourite castle/palace was when you visited Copenhagen. The ones we are looking at are: Rosenborg Castle, Christiansborg Palace, Fredensborg Castle and Fredriksborg Castle. Which of these is most worthwhile to visit (preferably with a walking tour), or are there any others that are better that I'm missing? (We are already going to Kronborg castle when we stop in Helsingborg.)

Edited by Canadian Cruiser98

Fredriksborg! It is drop dead gorgeous....inside and out. The gardens are magnificent as are the interiors.

Rosenborg is lovely too - but Fredriksborg is more impressive. One of my favorite castles ever and I have had the good fortune of visiting quite a few.

Kronborg is cool...much more somber and damp, but neat.

Another very nice castle ( a bit farther away) is Egeskov Slot. We really enjoyed our day there and there is lots to do and see. But Fredriksborg is still my number one Danish castle.

Fredriksborg Castle is the best castle; its called the Versailles of Scandinavia although the Swedish might take exception to that claim.

But, this castle is also not in Copenhagen and so it'll take longer to get there- you'll need to take the train and then take a longish walk to get there.

In comparison, Rosenborg is in the middle of Copenhagen and you will also see the crown jewels in Rosenborg castle.

Fredriksborg Castle is the best castle; its called the Versailles of Scandinavia although the Swedish might take exception to that claim.

But, this castle is also not in Copenhagen and so it'll take longer to get there- you'll need to take the train and then take a longish walk to get there.

In comparison, Rosenborg is in the middle of Copenhagen and you will also see the crown jewels in Rosenborg castle.

We do since Dottningholm is also called "the Versailles of Scandinavia" ;)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189852-d208281-r117458995-Drottningholm_Palace-Stockholm.html

http://dailyscandinavian.com/the-versailles-of-the-north/

To be fair to our Swedish friend I have never heard Frederiksborg Slot being called that. :D

Not saying it isn´t being called that but I have just never heard it before, maybe its the locals who´s calling it that.

We have enjoyed visiting all of the castles. They date from different time periods and offer different perspectives of Danish royal life and Danish history. An easy day tour for the castles outside of Copenhagen is through Viator. We did this tour last year and felt it was a good tour with an informational guide. (You can visit these castles on your own using public transportation or take a guided day tour.) If you can visit only one castle, limited to within the city, I would recommend Rosenborg for its history and art. If you are interested in modern Danish royalty, Amalienborg is well worth your time and is located within walking distance of Nyhavn.

• 1 month later...

Hi, we are in Copenhagen on 6th Aug on QE. We are looking to visit Rosenborg Slot and also Christiana. Is it possible to walk from the pier to Rosenborg (we are keen walkers) or is it easier to take the S tog from Osterport to Norreport. Also, any opinions welcomed on which is better value, individual tickets or the Copenhagen Card (we will use the Metro to get to Christiana. Thanks for any replies.

We only went to Rosenberg so can't compare but absolutely loved it, it's very different to most other palaces we have seen around Europe as the inside is so eccentric! Every room has its own theme and the collections are amazing. If you go don't miss the treasury downstairs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great information. We are trying to get our priorities in order for our day and a half we have before we board the ship. We then have the better part of a day when the ship returns to the city and we begin the next voyage to the British Isles and TransAtlantic back to NY.

Frederiksborg Castle is on our Princess tour booked on our BTB day. Fredensborg is a photo stop on the way back to the ship. Kronborg is one of the last stops before we see the Mermaid.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last month (July 2016). In my opinion, if you in the Copenhagen city and only small amount of time to tour. I would recommend:

1. Rosenborg it very interesting has all valuable collections. If you still have time then.

2. Christianborg, look at the reception room, etc. We love the Kitchen tour which cost to enter separately from the palace, we all have fun looking at the kitchen equipment stuffs a lot of pots, pan in copper. If you still have time then .

3. Amalienborg which more of Danish Royal family information, it also interesting.