Port of Rostock

We are docking at LH31 in Rostock Port on the Celebrity Eclipse July 20th. Does anyone know if there is a car rental facility at that port? Or if the train is easy to get to?

This is NOT the cruise terminal in Warnemunde....this is the port where the ferries dock. The cruise terminal piers are full the day we arrive. Any insight would be appreciated.

Edited by snowmc

We docked there three years ago. There really isn't anything within walking distance. However, you might want to check with Celebrity to see whether they will be operating a shuttle bus to Warnemunde - ours did. We booked a private tour to Warnemunde and Rostock through Alla, since we already had a St. Petersburg tour booked with them.

We docked in Rostock last summer on the Eurodam. There is really nothing out there--no car rental companies--and getting to either Rostock or Warnemuende requires taking a bus first to the S-Bahn station. (I figured out how to use public transport to get from the port. Let me know if you want the details.)

As it turns out, HAL provided a ferry to get us from our ship to Warnemuende and a shuttle bus to/from Rostock. We ended up taking the ferry to Warnemuende in the morning, getting ourselves to Rostock on the S-Bahn in the afternoon (easy to do) and then catching the shuttle back to the ship from Rostock. HAL did not let us know of these options until the day we arrived. Hopefully, Celebrity will tell you now if you ask them.

We docked in Rostock last summer on the Eurodam. There is really nothing out there--no car rental companies--and getting to either Rostock or Warnemuende requires taking a bus first to the S-Bahn station. (I figured out how to use public transport to get from the port. Let me know if you want the details.)

As it turns out, HAL provided a ferry to get us from our ship to Warnemuende and a shuttle bus to/from Rostock. We ended up taking the ferry to Warnemuende in the morning, getting ourselves to Rostock on the S-Bahn in the afternoon (easy to do) and then catching the shuttle back to the ship from Rostock. HAL did not let us know of these options until the day we arrived. Hopefully, Celebrity will tell you now if you ask them.

GradUT,

May I chime in and first of all thank you for sharing your experiences. I have got lots of great information from your other posts. We'll be on HAL Zuiderdam and also docking in Rostock. Can I ask if you know where the shuttle dropped off/picked up passengers in Rostock? In the Rostock city itself or near the train station? We're planning to catch the train to Schwerin. If HAL does provide a shuttle to Rostock, we will have a choice between taking the bus+tram to Rostock Hbf, or taking the shuttle to Rostock.

The shuttle bus to Rostock went to the Marienkirche (St. Mary's Church) which is in the main shopping area of Rostock. It is, however, about a mile from the train station. We did this walk and it was not hard at all to do. Just print a map off Google Maps and you'll find your way.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad my experiences have been helpful to you.

We are docking at LH31 in Rostock Port on the Celebrity Eclipse July 20th. Does anyone know if there is a car rental facility at that port? Or if the train is easy to get to?

This is NOT the cruise terminal in Warnemunde....this is the port where the ferries dock. The cruise terminal piers are full the day we arrive. Any insight would be appreciated.

Hi, I have made a page on my web site for those docking at berths LP31 and LP41 in the Overseas Port detailing all the alternatives for public transport etc. to Rostock City, Rostock main station and Warnemunde. Things have changed a bit in the past year.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you to both Travelanni and GradUT....I appreciate your responses and information.

We have a rental car on hold in Rostock and area also considering just taking the train to Schwerin. Travelanni....do you recommend taking the train over getting a car? We are a family of four adults. Do you recall if the train was more than $25/person RT?

That's very strange, we're also on this cruise & I had an email many months ago advising that the ship was now docking at Warnemunde NOT Rostock. There was also an advisory about it when trying to book on Celebrity website. Unfortunately this is not available anymore as it looks like the cruise is fully booked.

That's very strange, we're also on this cruise & I had an email many months ago advising that the ship was now docking at Warnemunde NOT Rostock. There was also an advisory about it when trying to book on Celebrity website. Unfortunately this is not available anymore as it looks like the cruise is fully booked.

Hi, on the official Port of Rostock web site - Cruise Ship calls 2016, the Celebrity Eclipse is definitely scheduled to berth on July 20th at LP31 in the Overseas Port, not at the Cruise Centre in Warnemunde.

This could change but deviation from the official schedule is very rare. It might be a good idea to check with Celebrity.

Anni

Thank you to both Travelanni and GradUT....I appreciate your responses and information.

We have a rental car on hold in Rostock and area also considering just taking the train to Schwerin. Travelanni....do you recommend taking the train over getting a car? We are a family of four adults. Do you recall if the train was more than $25/person RT?

Hi, this is a very personal choice as both have pros and cons. The train is less stressful, someone else does the driving, but with a car you are more flexible and can probably see more.

A Mecklenburg Lander day ticket will cost 4 adults 32€ in total. This ticket is valid on s-Bahn, RE and RB (red) trains anywhere in Mecklenburg ,all day after 9am on weekdays or after 3am on weekends. For full details see my web site - tickets page.

Anni

[quote=Travelanni;50303568

A Mecklenburg Lander day ticket will cost 4 adults 32€ in total. For full details see my web site - tickets page.

Anni

Hi, sorry but this should read 'A Mecklenburg Lander ticket will cost 4 adults 35€ in total'.

That is 23€ for the first person and 4€ for each additional person, up to a total of 5 persons on one ticket.

Maths never was my strong point :rolleyes:

Anni

Celebrity website still shows it as Rostock when booking shore excursions. And as travelanni posted, the official port website shows the Eclipse at LH31...there are two other ships docked in Warnemunde at piers 7 & 8.

Either way, it will be nice to have a new area to explore. Hope to meet you onboard. Happy planning :)

Hi, this is a very personal choice as both have pros and cons. The train is less stressful, someone else does the driving, but with a car you are more flexible and can probably see more.

A Mecklenburg Lander day ticket will cost 4 adults 32€ in total. This ticket is valid on s-Bahn, RE and RB (red) trains anywhere in Mecklenburg ,all day after 9am on weekdays or after 3am on weekends. For full details see my web site - tickets page.

Anni

Thanks again. I have bookmarked your website...great information!

Hi, I'll arrive on the Rostock Berth 31 on Saturday, 16th July at 8 o'clock.

Please for the advice how to go to Rostock Hbf ?

Thanks

Hi, as suggested in previous posts on this thread, please see the 'berth LP31/41' page on my website for full details.

Anni

We are on the Viking Star and scheduled to port in Warnemunde on July 18 so we had booked a day tour with Friend of Dave. This weekend he cancelled our tour due to medical problems so we developed a plan for just the two of us. We will take a "river cruiser" from Warnemunde to Rostock, have lunch there and mosey a bit, then take a leisurely return cruise back to our ship in Warnemunde, Cost of this transport, leaving every hour during peak of the day, is 15Euros/pp. Chek them out on TripAdvisor under "Blaue Flotte". Looks pretty neat, plus they have some interesting food and complete bar on board for the hour ride each way.

Could I jump on any available shuttle on the berth 31? Or have to take one of specific cruise operator - Monarch (Pullmantur)?

I assume the practice will be the same as it was last year-- the shuttles and ferries provided by a particular cruise ship is ONLY for passengers of that ship. So if you arrive on a Princess cruise ship, you can't take the shuttle provided by HAL.

I assume the practice will be the same as it was last year-- the shuttles and ferries provided by a particular cruise ship is ONLY for passengers of that ship. So if you arrive on a Princess cruise ship, you can't take the shuttle provided by HAL.
Shh - When we went three years ago, our guide brought us on Oceana's shuttle from Rostock city center to the port. Since we had two teenagers with us and kids are few and far between on Oceana cruises, we should have been pegged as stowaways.:p

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Eurodam last year and the ship had docked at Warnemunde. The train station is right across.It was really easy to take the train to Rostock from where we changed for a train to Schwerin with the Regional ticket. The transfer from W'munde to Rostock was on a separate ticket.

We had bought the regional ticket online so as to save time and hassle. On the way back we stopped at Rostock for a stroll, some shopping and snacks. It was LOVELY day!

We just got off Hal Baltic cruise and docked at Rostock. Hal provided free bus shuttle to centre of Rostock (nothing to waremunde). We were only informed the day or so before.

It dropped us a block or 2 south of the main st near the Radisson hotel.

The problem was they did a poor job of telling you where you were.

We walked about 1.5km to the train station to go to Schwerin. They told us it was 5km away!

We had done a bit of research beforehand so once we got our bearings it was fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk