Berlin hotel and transfer to port advice please!

Hello CC Friends,

I am looking for recommendations for a Berlin hotel, 3 days pre-cruise, for late August 2017. I have read that like some European cities, some hotels have no AC. I am assuming in August, AC will be a necessity??

Also, I would appreciate any information regarding the best way to get to the port from Berlin/our hotel. There will be 4 of us.

I understand there is a train, but does anyone have experience with renting a car one way to the port? I would appreciate details on that, for instance, does an American license suffice driving in Germany?

Does anyone know if there are private transfer companies like Rome In Limo, which we used from Rome to the port?

Thanks in advance!

Spent considerable time in Berlin last fall. Our hotel had AC. What is your price range?

It's a bit hard to tell what prices might be for Aug 2017, but according to the prices I am finding for Aug 2016, I am thinking $150 or less per night might give us some good options.

Also looking for advice on getting from airport to hotel and hotel to port.

Thanks,

We found prices in Berlin to be very reasonable. I think we paid 80 Euros per room per night on BB. Lots of very good restaurants and bars all with affordable prices.

We found it easy to get the train to the airport. The train station was opposite our hotel.

It's a bit hard to tell what prices might be for Aug 2017, but according to the prices I am finding for Aug 2016, I am thinking $150 or less per night might give us some good options.

Also looking for advice on getting from airport to hotel and hotel to port.

Thanks,

Some ideas:

You should be able to book a very nice hotel (4 star) near Kudamm with great amenities. I would check booking.com to get an idea of prices and location. Priceline's NYOP is also a great alternative. Kudamm is a great area in which to stay - you will be smack dab in the center of the city. :) A nice choice is art'otel berlin kudamm (there are others as well). We scored art'otel berlin kudamm at a great price - think it was about $125 per night - great hotel, great location with easy metro access (U-bahn) & within walking distance from hotel to Tiergarten.

Airport - Schönefeld or Tegel? I am going to assume Tegel if you are arriving internationally.

You have options for transport from Tegel to Kudamm - taxi, shuttle, bus & metro. Depends on how much luggage you have & whether or not you are willing to tote your luggage onto the bus (#109 or TXL S+U Alexanderplatz via Hauptbahnhof) or metro. We took the metro from the train to the hotel (we arrived to Berlin via train) and we took the bus from the hotel to the airport. We each had a rolling suitcase & small backpack.

It is very easy to take the train from Berlin to Rostock. It is both economical & relaxing. Don't know if your cruise is departing from Rostock or Warnemunde but, no matter, you would still take the same train. If your port is Warnemunde, you would take the train to Rostock & then change to the local train for the 15 minute ride to Warnemunde (the Warnemunde train station is located right next to the cruise terminal). I have no experience with renting a car to drive to the cruise port and, furthermore, I have only cruised out of Warnemunde once - about 5 years ago - so my cruise info would be dated. I usually fly into and take the train within Germany w/o cruising. I have rented a car in Germany but never to get to the cruise port. Hopefully, someone can help with car rental info. However, IMHO, the train is a no brainer for me. :)

Hotel Mercure Checkpoint Charlie will be our hotel for 3 nights in just a tad under 2 weeks. The location & reviews are both favorable. Plus this hotel offers early check-in at 10am for a fee, which is ideal for us since our flight gets in @8! This hotel also has a few rooms with a balcony overlooking greenspace so hope our request for one can be honored. Breakfast is pricey but there are lots of options nearby on Friedrichstrasse.

Will report back on our experience there.

Hotel Mercure Checkpoint Charlie will be our hotel for 3 nights in just a tad under 2 weeks. The location & reviews are both favorable. Plus this hotel offers early check-in at 10am for a fee, which is ideal for us since our flight gets in @8! This hotel also has a few rooms with a balcony overlooking greenspace so hope our request for one can be honored. Breakfast is pricey but there are lots of options nearby on Friedrichstrasse.

Will report back on our experience there.

Will definitely look into this hotel as well. Stayed at one in Paris many years ago and liked it.

I look forward to reading your review! If you are using and can recommend a tour company in Berlin, I'd love to read that review as well. Thanks so much!

We did the free walking tour with Sandemans. We were very pleased with the tour and guide, so booked to go to Potsdam with them. This didn't disappoint either.

You can book free tours to the Reichstag. We also went to the Spy Museum, the Old Masters Museum ( to see the Botticelli exhibition) and did a boat trip on the river Spree.

There is lots to see and do. Check out Tripadvisor and Google.