Cruise Terminal in Puerto Penasco?

ssawjo

There are advertisements on local Phoenix, AZ television stations promoting Puerto Penasco, aka: Rocky Point, for vacations. Many people go there for the sun and sand. BUT, the commercials are also stating that Rocky Point is building a new cruise terminal. That is great for folks in southern Arizona. Nothing about which cruise lines, itineraries, etc. It appears from googled articles that it will be up and running in 2015. Has anyone else heard about this or have any more information? Please share. Thanks.

There are advertisements on local Phoenix, AZ television stations promoting Puerto Penasco, aka: Rocky Point, for vacations. Many people go there for the sun and sand. BUT, the commercials are also stating that Rocky Point is building a new cruise terminal. That is great for folks in southern Arizona. Nothing about which cruise lines, itineraries, etc. It appears from googled articles that it will be up and running in 2015. Has anyone else heard about this or have any more information? Please share. Thanks.

It seems that the obstacles have been cleared by the Mexican gov't and they are neogotiating with Carnival and HAL. Link to the article below.

http://www.wesellrockypoint.com/CRUISE_LINERS_IN_ROCKY_POINT/page_2502340.html

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
They just broke ground on the cruise terminal last week. So maybe this will really happen? I wonder what ports they would visit. I would think only smallish ships would work.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/they-re-building-a-port-for-cruise-ships-in-rocky-point/

The proposed route for cruises shows nine ports including Mazatlan and Cabo. This article shows the other ports and the terminal as it will look when finished. Looks very interesting !! I hope they get it done !!!

Work actually started the beginning of January - they had an unofficial groundbreaking and the official one is in the works. Presently they are trying for January but I believe working around the President of Mexico's schedule. This is a major project for all of Mexico and impacts directly about 6 States in Mexico, not to mention Arizona, Nevada (direct AeroMexico seasonal flights), California and New Mexico. Governors from all these States have been invited.

They also have the large convention center open - started out with a Black & White Charity Ball the end of November and everyone said it was beautiful.

Understand they are working with several cruise lines - hope to have information on that soon.

Will open up a great new 'cruising' area.

1156166100_PenascoHomePortJan62014.jpg.37c2578a7f7bfe999fd5d274d1904282.jpg

This sounds like a great business plan for the cruise lines that will use the new port.

They have nine ports within the same distance as the West coast cruises that now access three ports. Great fuel savings and they will escape the expensive environmental rules that California and other US ports impose on them.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of cruises that now originate in Calif change to Rocky Point.

What is at these ports that would draw tourists? I've been to La Paz and unless you want to hang at the beach all day there's not a lot happening. I get the "place to retire" thing, but a day-tripper needs some type of entertainment, a tourist destination, which is why Cabo and PV work.

I don't see the So Cal pax driving 8 or so hours, into Mexico, to a desert town departure port unless it was dirt cheap (like free), and there goes the profit. Too many other things to do.

Look at La Paz. Just because you build a terminal doesn't mean aynone will come.

Time will tell.

What is at these ports that would draw tourists? I've been to La Paz and unless you want to hang at the beach all day there's not a lot happening. I get the "place to retire" thing, but a day-tripper needs some type of entertainment, a tourist destination, which is why Cabo and PV work.

I don't see the So Cal pax driving 8 or so hours, into Mexico, to a desert town departure port unless it was dirt cheap (like free), and there goes the profit. Too many other things to do.

Look at La Paz. Just because you build a terminal doesn't mean aynone will come.

Time will tell.

These ports can be very interesting unless you are looking for a Diamonds International and Senor Frog's at each port. LaPaz has some very nice beaches with restaurants and bars plus some very nice attractions in the city that you would have to seek.

Topolobampo (Los Mochis) is the terminal for the railway that goes up to Copper Canyon, and the city has an authentic central market.

I don't think the cruise lines that will be using the new port will expect all passengers to drive to Rocky Point. I expect shuttles or flights from the major cities to a point near the new port.

Time will tell.

I guess it all boils down to what you are looking for on a cruise. If you want glitz and glamour, this would probably not be for you. If you like to see the unspoiled natural beauty and a glimpse of old Mexico as it used to be, then this area would be an attraction for you.

Edited by swedish weave

The Tufesa bus line has shuttles from Phoenix and Tucson to Guaymas and points in-between. It's a very good bus service, which my fiance has traveled on a number of times. But, it will not be as fast as a private vehicle because all luggage must be pulled off at customs and at the military stop when returning to the US. And, it makes several stops along the way. A one-way ticket from Tucson to Guaymas is less than $50, however.

Many cruise lines including CC have cancelled many of the Mexican port due to the danger involved; Mazatlan, Acapulco, Manzanillo that I know of.

Why do they suddenly become safe now?

Don't get me wrong, I never saw the sense in closing Mazatlan because it wasn't safe, yet leaving out of LA.

The city and port of Mazatlan have spent millions of dollars to beef up security and install surveillance cameras all over the area. This was done to satisfy the cruise lines demands and get them to begin calling again at this port.

Mazatlan has had some serious crime problems but no cruise passengers have been harmed in the city.

I was on the NCL Star on her last stop there a couple of years ago, and the reason for the cancellation was a shooting that occurred while a ship sponsored tour was in the area. No passengers were harmed, but when word got back to Miami, the decision was made to stop going there.

I have personally been in Mazatlan several times and have walked, rode the buses, taxis, and taken the water taxi to Stone Island with no problems. I feel safe there.

• 1 month later...
I guess it all boils down to what you are looking for on a cruise. If you want glitz and glamour, this would probably not be for you. If you like to see the unspoiled natural beauty and a glimpse of old Mexico as it used to be, then this area would be an attraction for you.

Totally agree with you. I've been visiting Mexico for 30 years..and LOVE the towns with the feel of Old Mexico. Hope this cruise port is ready to go in a few years. I'm looking forward to cruising the Sea of Cortez.

• 1 month later...

I live in Rocky Point. I own a condo about 1/2 mile down the beach from the new home port. I sit on my balcony and watch the construction almost every day. They are at present building the breakwater to form the harbor and the docks. besides beautiful beaches and all water sports, there are whale watching tours, a tour to the Pinacate center in the desert where there are volcanic craters. Wonderful restaurants, a tequila factory tour with tasting. It is a very peaceful place. We have an airport and I am sure when the port is completed, we will have airlines scheduling flights....at present only Aeromex, and charter flights. If you have any questions about the paradise I live in, I will be happy to try to answer them.

Brenda

• 2 months later...
I live in Rocky Point. I own a condo about 1/2 mile down the beach from the new home port. I sit on my balcony and watch the construction almost every day. They are at present building the breakwater to form the harbor and the docks. besides beautiful beaches and all water sports, there are whale watching tours, a tour to the Pinacate center in the desert where there are volcanic craters. Wonderful restaurants, a tequila factory tour with tasting. It is a very peaceful place. We have an airport and I am sure when the port is completed, we will have airlines scheduling flights....at present only Aeromex, and charter flights. If you have any questions about the paradise I live in, I will be happy to try to answer them.

Brenda

Do you have any updates on the progress of the new cruise terminal ??

• 10 months later...

I was in R.P. in March 2015, they were actively working on what I believe is the breakwater to the cruise area.I have photos, but they won't upload,(says upload failed):(so I don't know what the problem is.

Looks as if the cruise ships have quite some time before they start to operate in Rocky Pt. The beaches are great, but I can fly from PHX in 1hr. and be at a port in CA. to cruise. Takes about 4 1/2hrs to drive to Rocky Pt.,so I doubt I will cruise out of there unless there are charter planes from PHX that are reasonably priced.

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

Brenda

We've been to PP. Loved it. By any chance do you know the Ridgways?

Puerto Penasco - Rocky Point is a great sleepy beach town. I've been going down there since I was a child. Now I have home down there and love it. When I heard they had plans to build a cruiseport I was ecstatic. Next thing I heard this would be a home port. Then I was somewhat curious how they're going to pull that one off. Sounds like a great idea, but how? Getting there for AZ residents is an easy 4.5 hr drive from Phoenix or Tucson. You'd need a lot more than AZ residents to support a cruiseport. An international airport would be an answer.

So it looks like the cruise port is progressing again. Another good thing, flights from Phoenix and Tucson are eminent. My next door neighbor works for an aviation consulting group which is working on the new Mar de Cortes International Airport Terminal. They are preparing to build a terminal to handle international passengers. The airport has the ability to handle B737 aircraft. However, the new airport is located SE of town near the Palace Resorts - they're financially backing the expansion. This is about a 45 min drive to the new cruise port location on Sandy Beach near Cholla Bay.

I'm guessing a majority of the people whom will be driving down or busing it down to Rocky Point. Looking at cruiseline fleets of Carnival and Holland America, it's likely smaller cruise ships will be utilized - 2000 PAX. I still see a problem with getting people down to RP to fill up a cruise ship. I'll do it for sure, but convincing the masses of cruisers from the southwest will be a challenge. Personally I would not fly, too short of a flight from Phoenix. I'm sure there's a plan amongst the state & local govt, cruise lines, airlines, and the resorts. Rocky Point stands to do very well if all goes as planned. Only time will tell...

Best of Luck to those whom are involved in this project.

While they may in fact create a cruise terminal in Puerto Penasco, the likelihood of it being a commercial success aren't all that high. Maybe the port will get an occasional visit from a cruise ship, but the likelihood of home porting a ship their is slim to none. Why?

- US passengers won't come in great numbers due to the travel time and border crossing hassle (maybe some from AZ, but is that enough to support a ship on a regular basis)

- Distance and accessibility to Mexican population centers. If I was to home port a ship in Mexico for the local market, I would put it in further south in an existing major port where the people can get to it easily.

- Cost of replenishing the ship. My experience is that everything is more expensive in Mexico except some basic food stuffs and locally produced alcohol. This can even include diesel for the ships as again, everything would needed to be transported to the port.

If it does get finished, this is investment will take a really, really long time to pay off - if ever.

Edited by SelectSys

Many things are much cheaper in Mexico, and not just basic foodstuffs.

Yes, housing and labor/services are cheap as well. You can certainly live comfortably in Mexico, albeit somewhat differently than in the US, for less money. E.g., central heat and air are somewhat of a rarity in all but the most expensive Mexican homes.

Energy, telecommunications, luxury items, high-end foods and processed/manufactured goods are more expensive. In general, if it is imported - it will be more expensive than the US. Even if it is locally made, it still might be more expensive due to a lack of competition, logistics and Mexico's relatively high VAT.

For these reasons, my gut suggests that replenishing a cruise ship will be more expensive in Puerto Penasco than in the Port of Long Beach or San Pedro. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I live in San Carlos, Mexico, and you are mistaken. Many homes have central air/heat, and not just the expat houses. My electric bill, water bill, cell bill, and food bills are much lower than in Tucson, and Tucson is not an expensive place to live. I need to buy a new washer and dryer. The Frigidaire models I priced here in Tucson are the same price in San Carlos, Mexico, and they deliver to the house. That is true for many things in Mexico.

I live in San Carlos, Mexico, and you are mistaken. Many homes have central air/heat, and not just the expat houses. My electric bill, water bill, cell bill, and food bills are much lower than in Tucson, and Tucson is not an expensive place to live. I need to buy a new washer and dryer. The Frigidaire models I priced here in Tucson are the same price in San Carlos, Mexico, and they deliver to the house. That is true for many things in Mexico.

I guess our experiences are just different. All I know is that whenever a friend or family member comes to visit from Mexico, the first place they want to visit are the malls to buy things to take home complaining about Mexican prices.

I also haven't had your experience purchasing non-Mexican brands at US prices. Too me, it always seems the price is at least 30-40%+ higher. Maybe I just don't know where to go and shop.

However, my key reason for discussing Mexican prices relates to the unlikelihood of a cruise terminal in Puerto Penasco being a viable home port for cruise ships.

Edited by SelectSys