Ensenada - worth getting off the ship?

Along for the Ride

I'll be on the Imagination in a few weeks and I can't decide if it's really worth it to book an excursion in Ensenada or if I should attempt to do a spa day on the ship.

I've never been there, but the excursions don't sound too exciting to me. At the same time, I wasn't sure if I was missing out by not going ashore, because hey - I'll be in Mexico.

I'm trying just have a relaxing extended weekend. I wouldn't mind doing some shopping in town but I am worried about it being dangerous if I go on my own and I hear it's mostly pharmaceuticals and touristy souvenirs.

Can anyone give me an accurate idea of what is actually there and if the excursions are worth doing? I'd probably to the cheese or wine or cooking thing if anything. Thanks!

We did the winery excursion through Carnival. We enjoyed it. Went to two different wineries, sampled wine and appetizers at both. Received one free bottle per person from one of the wineries. Learned about the wine making process and toured the facility at one winery. Price was reasonable.

We did the winery excursion through Carnival. We enjoyed it. Went to two different wineries, sampled wine and appetizers at both. Received one free bottle per person from one of the wineries. Learned about the wine making process and toured the facility at one winery. Price was reasonable.

Waiter: I recommend the Chateu Lafite-Rothschild '79 or the Haut-Brion '82.

Patron: Sounds nice, but I think an Ensenada-Baja 2014.

Living on the east coast, We hadn't sailed to Ensenada in 16 years. We had an absolutely fantastic time when we went back last September. We booked the la Bufadora and City Tour excursion through the ship and it was well worth it. It's not the most picturesque town, but it was interesting and a departure from what I normally see on Caribbean and Bahamas cruises. Feel free to look at my pics and read a bit more about it (Golden Princess review in my signature).

Ensenada is to west coasters what Nassau is to east coasters. It's the port of choice on short itineraries, and after doing it a number of times, it sucks. But for a first timer who has never done it, it's actually a pretty interesting place, at least it was for us! Since its your first time there, I would plan some activity ashore so that YOU can experience it through your own eyes and not someone else's. [emoji41]

Edited by Tapi

I have been several times and while it's not the best port, we always have fun. Most of the time we just walk around town, grab some food, drinks, and cheap souvenirs.

We usually aren't big Carnival tour fans, but we did the winery tour through them once and it was really fun. The bus ride was informative, the wineries were nice, the sampling was fun, and the wine cellar "caves" were cool. Definitely worth it.

There is also a small winery in town (kinda), Santo Thomas Winery (pic included). That was a nice little stop for us on one of our trips there. Some of the other cruise lines have tours that go there.

199074_1039969691663_1578_n.jpg.28729652320948898f6d5fca7a496cd7.jpg

Carnival also has a cheese tour.

Been to Ensenada too many times to count. 7 times since November, get off every time. Last month our biggest decision was what and where to eat-- Tacos, Birria, Molcajete, Gorditas, Paletas, Licuados......

Had the best helado rosa (rose ice cream) a few weeks ago in Big Head Plaza.

There are three museums in town- The old resort across from the dock, the Art Museum just south of it and the old Army Barracks/Jail in town.

Eventually the Aquarium will open.

Remember Ensenada is a Mexican city of 500,000 not a city built or refurbished for American tourists.

I'll be on the Imagination in a few weeks and I can't decide if it's really worth it to book an excursion in Ensenada or if I should attempt to do a spa day on the ship.

I've never been there, but the excursions don't sound too exciting to me. At the same time, I wasn't sure if I was missing out by not going ashore, because hey - I'll be in Mexico.

I'm trying just have a relaxing extended weekend. I wouldn't mind doing some shopping in town but I am worried about it being dangerous if I go on my own and I hear it's mostly pharmaceuticals and touristy souvenirs.

Can anyone give me an accurate idea of what is actually there and if the excursions are worth doing? I'd probably to the cheese or wine or cooking thing if anything. Thanks!

I don't feel like it is dangerous. There are lots of cruisers walking down the main street with you. However, I think staying on the ship is great. You can do the spa, eat at leisure, grab a nice lounger at the back of the ship and watch the boats coming in and out of the harbor; all and all really a nice ship day.

Do you want some information that is almost a couple of decades old?

Sure, you do.

Back when I was young and lived in southern California, Ensenada is where the cool kids went to party. We drove down. But the wait at the border and other issues cut down on that.

But back in the day, Avenida Lopez Mateos had a "Frat Row" atmosphere. That has been diminished, or so I understand.

I have to imagine that the horse back ride with the view of the ocean is still pretty much the same and that Santo Tomas and LA Cetto wine aren't that bad.

Carnival offers a kayak trip. I remember the water in the ocean near Ensenada being very rough. But maybe that was just my hangover.

OP, I have been to Ensenada many times, I have stayed on the ship and gotten off. This last time we went, we were looking for something different to do, and we did the Cheese Cellar and Countryside tour (something like that) through Carnival and we really enjoyed it. It was about an hour drive out to countryside, and we had a great guide who told us all about Enseneda on the way. The farm where they make the cheese was really cool, and very picturesque. Lunch was delicious! On the way back they gave people the option of being dropped off downtown to shop, or back to the ship. We opted to get dropped off downtown because we wanted to shop and have some cocktails. I highly recommend that tour.

It was quite some time ago (actually our 1st cruise) and we did something completely different. At the end of the pier was a motor scooter rental and they had one that was a 250cc that would carry us both. We drove to La Bufadora and then stopped at a really nice resort on the way back. The resort was about half way back to the port. It was December and it was almost deserted so we had it pretty much to ourselves. (bar on the beach was open however) :)

Not sure I would recommend this as there were a couple of real hazards to consider.. First there were some potholes in the road almost as large as our scooter Second the rule of the road seemed to be that the largest thing had the most right of way so you can imagine where the scooter fell into that program.:eek:

In the end it was a very memorable day that was mostly fun and not expensive!:D

Hmmm - Ensenada is great area in my mind. I have spent most of my life within 2 hours of the city and perhaps my views might be different based upon it being in my "back yard". I definitely wouldn't just "stay on the ship"

Hussong's can be an interesting to visit for a look at a somewhat authentic cantina with decent Mariachis at least at night.

The Valle de Guadalupe is a great little wine region. Not only is the wine surprisingly good, they also have many fine restaurants. You can also visit a newer wine museum along with normal winery tours in both English and Spanish. Having lunch at

Bajamar, which is slightly north of town, has 27 holes of golf all spread out along the ocean. Very pretty course and the greens fees are reasonable.

This is just a few things to consider.

A warning for Ensenada: Avoid Hussong's. Their lemonade tastes funny. I'm pretty sure it was poisoned. I don't know the exact chemical they use, but I overheard one of the bartenders saying it's supposed "to kill ya."

Fortunately, I must have a miraculous constitution since I did survive. However, the poison did have an adverse effect on me.

All I know is that one minute I was listening to mariachis with my wife and friends, and the next minute I'm waking up in my stateroom, I have a bite mark on my shoulder, my wife isn't speaking to me and I've got nothing on but my boxers, my socks and a sombrero. Funny thing is I wasn't wearing socks earlier.

Beware

;)

A warning for Ensenada: Avoid Hussong's. Their lemonade tastes funny. I'm pretty sure it was poisoned. I don't know the exact chemical they use, but I overheard one of the bartenders saying it's supposed "to kill ya."

Fortunately, I must have a miraculous constitution since I did survive. However, the poison did have an adverse effect on me.

All I know is that one minute I was listening to mariachis with my wife and friends, and the next minute I'm waking up in my stateroom, I have a bite mark on my shoulder, my wife isn't speaking to me and I've got nothing on but my boxers, my socks and a sombrero. Funny thing is I wasn't wearing socks earlier.

Beware

;)

Don't you know only to drink beer/sodas out of bottles/cans opened in front of you? I guess you do now.

Good story however!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were on a cruise that stopped in Ensenada earlier this month and went on a winery tour. My husband and I both enjoyed it. We booked it through our travel agent and there were only us and one family in the van on the tour. We rode about 30-40 minutes to the Calafia Valley where the wineries are. The scenery was nice and our tour guide did a good job providing information on the area. We had samples at both wineries along with fresh breads, cheese, and olives from the area.

The most dangerous thing about the tourist area of Ensenada are the sidewalks. Off of Lopez there are holes. Walk carefully.

The same can also apply in PV. Fair amount of uneven sidewalks and damage roadways.

• 2 weeks later...

On our last Inspiration sailing, we went for a massage at a local establishment that came highly recommended - it was great. I think it's called Massage and Facial Care. They were very reasonably priced! We then took a taxi out to Estero Beach Resort - took about 25 minutes to get there. It was lovely! Swim-up bar in the pool, lounge chairs, view of the ocean. We had a great day!

I'm looking into going to Las Rosas Resort on our August sailing. Not sure if they offer day passes or not.

If not, we might just go get a massage, have a margarita or two, and then get back on the ship to enjoy a (hopefully!) quieter day by the pool!