Azamara Journey - Dubai to India Nov 2016

Kidson

I originally posted this at the end of another thread - I am new to the board and should have realised it would be preferable to post under a new thread

We are considering taking this cruise in November as we would love to see some of India.

However there are so many conflicting reviews of the ship - from small cabins - to inferior food - most notable example of big ship processes was in the main dining room where entrees arrived soggy from spending too much time under the "dome" after being plated. Although they seat you at tables for two, meals seemed to be mass produced and brought out in bulk on large trays, just like on the mega ships. Of the seven nights, three dinners in the main dining room and none were excellent.

On to the specialty restaurants. After reading Cruise Critic's recommendation of Aqualina, we booked two dinners there and one at Prime C. Big mistake. Aqualina was mediocre at best with a somewhat limited menu. However, Prime C was actually excellent. If sailing Azamara, be sure to book dinner at Prime C as much as possible.

As to service - Service was good, but not fabulous. And much less personalized than on a true small ship. If you want over the top service and a true small-ship experience, don't expect it here.

On our day at sea all loungers on the pool and sun decks were taken (and most were occupied). There was some space for additional loungers.

My daughter has just returned from a Cruise on the Oceania Riviera and everything from the size of the cabin and balcony to service and the food was simply par excellence.

We are thinking of booking a Club Continent Suite - anyone who has recently been on board - please enlighten me as to your thoughts

Would welcome and appreciate all views and recommendations

I originally posted this at the end of another thread - I am new to the board and should have realised it would be preferable to post under a new thread

We are considering taking this cruise in November as we would love to see some of India.

However there are so many conflicting reviews of the ship - from small cabins - to inferior food - most notable example of big ship processes was in the main dining room where entrees arrived soggy from spending too much time under the "dome" after being plated. Although they seat you at tables for two, meals seemed to be mass produced and brought out in bulk on large trays, just like on the mega ships. Of the seven nights, three dinners in the main dining room and none were excellent.

On to the specialty restaurants. After reading Cruise Critic's recommendation of Aqualina, we booked two dinners there and one at Prime C. Big mistake. Aqualina was mediocre at best with a somewhat limited menu. However, Prime C was actually excellent. If sailing Azamara, be sure to book dinner at Prime C as much as possible.

As to service - Service was good, but not fabulous. And much less personalized than on a true small ship. If you want over the top service and a true small-ship experience, don't expect it here.

On our day at sea all loungers on the pool and sun decks were taken (and most were occupied). There was some space for additional loungers.

My daughter has just returned from a Cruise on the Oceania Riviera and everything from the size of the cabin and balcony to service and the food was simply par excellence.

We are thinking of booking a Club Continent Suite - anyone who has recently been on board - please enlighten me as to your thoughts

I am thinking of this cruise also due to the itinerary. I usually cruise Crystal or Seabourn though for family reunion cruises we have done Princess and HAL. I am a little concerned about the cuisine and service, also. I'll probably go for it as I really like the itinerary.

Hello Kidson,

I'm confused if the review part of your post is from your own experience or if you've cut & pasted it from elsewhere? Since it sounds like you've not sailed with us before I have to assume the latter.

The criticisms you've posted of our food, dining and service and availability of loungers I say are utterly untrue.

Of course I'm biased but others will tell you the same. Plus it's not just my opinion and our past guests' testimonials!

Herewith I'm attaching a picture of an award just received this week - Global Travelers "Best Cruise Line Dining" AZAMARA CLUB CRUISES - 2016!

455031279_BestCruiseLineDiningaward.jpg.1d906e7fe10d386c2b24c3b56d6ceba5.jpg

Hello Kidson,

I'm confused if the review part of your post is from your own experience or if you've cut & pasted it from elsewhere? Since it sounds like you've not sailed with us before I have to assume the latter.

The criticisms you've posted of our food, dining and service and availability of loungers I say are utterly untrue.

Of course I'm biased but others will tell you the same. Plus it's not just my opinion and our past guests' testimonials!

Herewith I'm attaching a picture of an award just received this week - Global Travelers "Best Cruise Line Dining" AZAMARA CLUB CRUISES - 2016!

Yes, Bonnie, those paragraphs are straight from someone else's posting so Kidson's posting, as written, is confusing and terribly misleading. Some--or maybe even most or all--of it is from another thread on the Azamara board being actively discussed here as I write. It always amazes me that someone will cherry-pick the negatives and react to it while ignoring all the positives. If I were to do that I'd never be able to eat at a restaurant anywhere or vacation on any cruise ship. I've learned to weigh the body of evidence and not overreact to one person's negative opinion.

One of the things I've learned in my years on Cruise Critic is to read negative reviews very carefully and with appropriate amounts of salt grains. There is often one significant item of upset (e.g., seat location or available viewing time at the Monaco Grand Prix; having to wait in the sun to board because of a port snafu; being assigned a guaranty stateroom deemed less than desirable for whatever reason) that then colors every other aspect of the cruise negatively.

I am booked on this cruise and the one that follows it. It's a great itinerary and there are many jolly folks on the roll call.

This will be our first Azamara cruise. We booked a club continent suite to have a little more room given we will be on board for 27 days. Yes, the regular cabins are small (same with the older Oceania vessels).

We are excited about the refurbishing, our fellow cruisers, the food, the ambiance, the Azamazing evenings, the White Night evening, and the crew. I expect to have a great cruise, and I'm sure I will. If you already have a negative outlook, perhaps you would be happier booking a different cruise line. If you embrace the new adventure of a well regarded cruise line, then welcme aboard!

Kidson, I don't recognise Azamara at all from your comments. Are these copied from someone else's review?

We have done 3 cruises with Azamara. We have eaten mostly in the dining room except for 2 meals in speciality restaurants and the three white nights and have always enjoyed the beautifully presented meals - definitely not mass produced and brought out in bulk! We have done a galley tour and seen how the meals are put together and brought out as ordered!

Service is excellent and very personal from everyone from the captain down. On what other ship would the captain, the hotel director and the cruise director stop at your table and have a chat which happened to us on the white night on our last cruise.

There are always a good choice of sun beds available on both the pool and sun deck, even on cruises with lots of sea days. We have never ever found it difficult to find one!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wouldn't blast anyone for a review, we all come at new cruise lines from a different angle and with different expectations. Well remember our first Azamara cruise back in 2010 there were elements we did not like but in hindsight it was not because there was anything wrong it was because we didn't fully understand the system.

It takes us two or three cruises normally to establish our pattern of cruising on a cruise line, Azamara now fits us just fine and we drop into the swing of things from the off, so I would always say that unless it's a truly dreadful experience give it a couple of goes before making your mind up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone please let me know how rough or otherwise the Arabian sea is likely to be when cruising between Dubai and Mumbai during the month of November - as I note there is an initial four days of constant cruising before reaching Mumbai?

Edited by Kidson

I am booked on this cruise and the one that follows it. It's a great itinerary and there are many jolly folks on the roll call.

This will be our first Azamara cruise. We booked a club continent suite to have a little more room given we will be on board for 27 days. Yes, the regular cabins are small (same with the older Oceania vessels).

We are excited about the refurbishing, our fellow cruisers, the food, the ambiance, the Azamazing evenings, the White Night evening, and the crew. I expect to have a great cruise, and I'm sure I will. If you already have a negative outlook, perhaps you would be happier booking a different cruise line. If you embrace the new adventure of a well regarded cruise line, then welcme aboard!

What a lovely post - you will assuredly have a great cruise.

Enjoy every minute of your 27 days on board

Can someone please let me know how rough or otherwise the Arabian sea is likely to be when cruising between Dubai and Mumbai during the month of November - as I note there is an initial four days of constant cruising before reaching Mumbai?

We did the same cruise in 2014 and it was very calm all the way.

Hi Kidson: We are taking the cruise just before you, and this will be #4 on Az.(we are expecting to enjoy this one as much as the others) We cruised before the refurb and again this year, shortly after the refurb.

I agree with every poster that has responded so far!:-) So why am I adding another 2 cents? Possibly similar info, but maybe from a different perspective?

We were in a Club Continent Suite-a wonderful experience!(we normally cruise in verandas.) Cabin is a nice size, beautiful decor and extra amenities were well used! Butler was phenomenal! Since the specialty restaurants were complimentary for as many times as you wished, we reserved both an equal number, and were not disappointed in either...food, service, atmosphere.

This is our 77th cruise over the years, and Azamara is one of our favorites! It's hard to find a line where every category has satisfied us with above average to superior distinction!

Much of it starts with a positive and flexible attitude, and a desire to enjoy your experiences as they occur. Have some wonderful experiences on your cruise! Azamara will provide you with every opportunity to do so:)

Bonnie: Thx for providing the link!

I don't remember any swells at all between Dubai and Mumbai last year. Just asked my DH and he doesn't either.

My many many thanks to grandma cruising – sparty1 and Bonnie for taking the time to let me know that should I travel this route I should expect to sail in calm waters – much appreciated - Bonnie forgive my ignorance but who or what is ‘DH’

My many many thanks to grandma cruising – sparty1 and Bonnie for taking the time to let me know that should I travel this route I should expect to sail in calm waters – much appreciated - Bonnie forgive my ignorance but who or what is ‘DH’

DH is internet speak for "Darling Husband". DH is darling daughter, DS is darling son, DW is darling wife, etc

Please be aware that nobody can predict what the seas will be, predictions are based on past experience. I have sailed in waters (such as Bay of Biscay) that are notorious for heavy seas and it was like glass. Traditionally sailing from Dubai to India is usually smooth. The key word is usually.

Some more questions please:

In a Club Continent suite do they have free access to the spa terrace?

How good and reliable is the Internet/Wi-Fi on board in Port and out at sea?

For those traveling to India - what currency do you need to take ashore if one intends to use a private tour company - do most accept major credit cards?

Do people mostly book all their excursions before sailing or do some get together on board and form a group and decide what they wish to do?

For those traveling to India - what currency do you need to take ashore if one intends to use a private tour company - do most accept major credit cards?

Do people mostly book all their excursions before sailing or do some get together on board and form a group and decide what they wish to do?

I have been to India twice and everyone was happy to take USD or CC. I did have the equivalent to about 100.00 USD in IRP with me for little stores that did not take USD or CC and for tips in places.

I always arrange a private car and driver before I depart for the cruise.

Can't speak to the Internet. It's many times satellite dependent. If I am in an area for an extended time I usually buy a local SIM card for my IPAD, or if possible, rent a portable hot spot.

I can't answer the spa question but I am sure someone can.

It sounds like you are not using a TA. I do not know what country you are a citizen of (your profile says UK so I would presume you are a British citizen) but please check your Indian Visa requirements. As a Brit you may not need a VISA but do verify that.

Edited by cruisr

In the CC suites there is free acess to the spa terrace (called something else- name escapes me). It is a sundeck with 20 or so loungers and the larger jacuzzi. This is a very nice space, but the general pool deck is also very nice as well.

As far as excursions. It is a personal decision. If you have visited the roll call for this cruise you will see that there are several excursions being organized ahead of travel. In my experience there is also the possibility to "wing it" at a port and have had great sucess in hiring a local tour at the port, but other times not so succesful. The tour operators I have been dealing with want rupees, and plan a stop to the local ATM to get those. I have found that USD or CC were accepted by vendors.

The only thing I watch out for is a vendor who "graciously" suggest to make the charge in USD. Unfortunately the one time I allowed this (in Turkey) I also had a unwelcome suprise of "their conversion charge" in addition to the cost of the item. It would have been much cheaper to allow my CC to do the fee-free conversion. Lesson learned.

Lisa

Edited by Leo_On_Geo

In the CC suites there is free acess to the spa terrace (called something else- name escapes me). It is a sundeck with 20 or so loungers and the larger jacuzzi. This is a very nice space, but the general pool deck is also very nice as well.

As far as excursions. It is a personal decision. If you have visited the roll call for this cruise you will see that there are several excursions being organized ahead of travel. In my experience there is also the possibility to "wing it" at a port and have had great sucess in hiring a local tour at the port, but other times not so succesful. The tour operators I have been dealing with want rupees, and plan a stop to the local ATM to get those. I have found that USD or CC were accepted by vendors.

The only thing I watch out for is a vendor who "graciously" suggest to make the charge in USD. Unfortunately the one time I allowed this (in Turkey) I also had a unwelcome suprise of "their conversion charge" in addition to the cost of the item. It would have been much cheaper to allow my CC to do the fee-free conversion. Lesson learned.

Lisa

The practice is called Dynamic Currency Conversions. NEVER ever agree to have the charge in your home currency as you are hit twice with conversion fees. Always tell the merchant you want the charge in the local currency. Also, some may not even ask you and put the charge in your home currency. Do not sign the slip if it is any currency other then the currency of the country you are in.

On our last cruise were going to be in Vietnam for the first time. Someone on our roll call offered to organise tours for all 4 days in Vietnam and we joined the group. It worked out really well - we had a group of about 12 (varied by 2/4 on different days), and were very well looked after, and the tours cost about half what it would have cost using Azamara excursions.

We are on the B2B2B Dubai to Singapore having previously sailed on five other

Azamara cruises. The main reason we keep coming back to Azamara is not only the wonderful small ship but the fantastic caring crew and the wonderful food. Their complimentary Azamazing evenings, their White Night, Jazz Brunch among other things and the way they support Cruise Critic are what

sets them above so many other lines. That is why they have such a loyal following. Add to that, we have Bonnie, who is always there for us.:)