First timer- Very Frustrated with Booking Process

jkadventures

We are experienced cruisers who have very much been looking forward to booking two Az trips, one in 2017 & one in 2018. As we always book our own travel, we decided to go ahead and reserve the two cruises. Almost immediately we ran into frustrations with the online booking process. First, as one scrolls down cabin availability, many show listed as "Deck 0." Although we know one can tell the deck by the number, those cabins will not appear in the deck plan once you select it. Called the office and was told one can book those and it's a "computer glitch." Then we went forward and noticed there is no place to enter the second pax's Le Club Voyage number, in our case Celebrity numbers. Second call to the office and we were told it will be automatically entered later (?). We then noticed the Friends & Family sale for an additional 10% off and our first sailing was listed as eligible. We put in the promo code and it repeatedly comes up "invalid." Third call and we were told the system is busy but it has been like this for two days. Lastly, we looked for how to hold the booking for seven days as the website clearly states "deposits are due seven days after booking" but the website requires immediate deposit payment. Every agent offers to book the trip for us, however, we would like the $150 online booking shipboard credit.

Our inability to book these trips, along with many of the stories on this board regarding billing disputes, absentee travel docs, and problems with OBC makes us very hesitant to put hard earned money down. The idea of these trips is super appealing and it seems a great fit for us, but it is not going great so far. Any thoughts? Thx.

My one thought is get a travel agent to handle it for you. I became frustrated with the website long ago and that together with dealing with a call centre in Guatemala, I decided I was better off with a travel agent batting for me. Doing it that way I also save on the bottom line cost which I prefer to an OBC anyway. The other issues you cite as being mentioned and putting you off, well all I can say there is it isn't nearly as much of a problem as this board would have you believe.

Thanks- your great posts were actually a driving force in making us want to try Az. I certainly take the "problem with" posts with a grain of salt. However, for an upscale line it appears, at least so far, that the "back- room" support for customers leaves something to be desired. If you advertise a sale, it should be available and coded into the system. It ends in a few days, and that will be a deal breaker for us.

Being persistent, I just tried using the promo code on other included sale cruises and each time it comes up "invalid code." Another 15 minutes on hold with the call center yielded no further info but another offer to book it for us. Yikes.

Here is why I book with a travel agent:

I get 5-10% of the commissionable fare as a fully refundable onboard credit. It goes right back to my credit card at the end of the cruise.

Her agency does huge volume, so she has access to group rates, saving us hundreds of dollars on every cruise. (We cruise 3-4 times a year.)

She knows the layout of every ship I'm interested in and can recommend the perfect cabin. Her system shows her every available cabin, and I can see the same information on her website.

She knows every applicable promotion - and she knows what is combinable and what is not.

If there is ever a question about my booking, she handles it. I never have to deal with a call center or with people who don't have the experience my travel agent does. She's a pro.

Why would anyone want to book direct when there are travel agents out there who can offer great prices, perks, and professional advice - all at no cost?

Here's another vote for using a good travel agent. We boarded our first Azamara cruise (which we booked directly and then transferred to Perry Golf at their request because we purchased their golf package) without one dollar of onboard credit while others had hundreds. We learned from this board (thank you!) that certain travel agents will give more incentives and onboard credit so we won't make that mistake again. Between Azamara and Perry Golf that cruise was $15K so we felt we should have gotten something. If you like your experience and want to book another, certainly consider booking onboard for the incentives offered and then transfer to your favored travel agent when you arrive home so you can get credit from Azamara and the travel agent. it all adds up and we will have at least $850 in onboard credit (and a good sale price from Azamara) on the next cruise.

As 4 star Mariners on HAL and Elite Plus on Celebrity, we were disappointed in Azamara.

For the price of an Oceanview on Az, you can book a suite on other lines. The dreaded wet shower curtain was the deal breaker for us.

Not sure that has anything to do with the question posed:confused: Anyway the size of the shower in the standard sized cabins is way over played here. I'm six feet tall and 200 lbs. Never had an issue. I actually like the standard bathrooms and I've stayed in all sorts of cabins.

Not sure that has anything to do with the question posed:confused: Anyway the size of the shower in the standard sized cabins is way over played here. I'm six feet tall and 200 lbs. Never had an issue. I actually like the standard bathrooms and I've stayed in all sorts of cabins.

I couldn't agree more, Phil. I just roll my eyes when the so-called "dreaded shower curtain" complaint is once again rolled out. I'm taller than you and have no problem in that shower, and I've taken about 400 showers in the non-suite showers without ever having an issue with the curtain. Nonsense.

The problems you have encountered are the very reason that we use a local travel agent, we have used her for 15+ years and she takes care of every detail. We never have to worry about these annoyances. Hope you have better luck in the future. :):):):)

Edited by Robb

This really was not about shower curtains or travel agents. We were trying to book two cruises and the website does not support offers advertised. Repeated calls to the home office got us nowhere.

Too bad this went off topic, but I haven't much more to offer...I use a TA for my bookings so I don't have to deal with it. You will love Azamara!

This really was not about shower curtains or travel agents. We were trying to book two cruises and the website does not support offers advertised. Repeated calls to the home office got us nowhere.

Sounds like Az, as with another line we have cruised on, has problems with the front office that are not reflected on the ships. So you have to get past the front office. I wouldn't dream of booking direct. I too have an agent who knows the ships, can advise me on what cabins to avoid, and from whom I get a cash rebate on all my cruises. And when I have hassles with the website, I just hand it over to her to fix.

What I'm saying is this is not just an Azamara problem. It's a pain in the patooty, but you shouldn't let it ruin your trips.

I agree with what is being said here numerous times.

Can't even imagine booking direct with any cruise line, let alone trying to do so repeatedly. Not only are you causing yourself frustration you almost assuredly costing yourself money. This is why the thread has skewed from your original post. I don't think many of us--if any--would waste their time trying to do what you are, and why they are recommending "just get a TA."

And it would be a big mistake to judge the line by the quality--or lack thereof--of the website.

Edited by ECCruise

Sounds like Az, as with another line we have cruised on, has problems with the front office that are not reflected on the ships. So you have to get past the front office. I wouldn't dream of booking direct. I too have an agent who knows the ships, can advise me on what cabins to avoid, and from whom I get a cash rebate on all my cruises. And when I have hassles with the website, I just hand it over to her to fix.

What I'm saying is this is not just an Azamara problem. It's a pain in the patooty, but you shouldn't let it ruin your trips.

Not sure where all you folks are finding these great travel agents- we gave up on them many years ago after many missteps on their part. We learned to enjoy the planning & booking stage as part of the journey and have directly booked numerous cruises and land trips all over the world- with no hassles or mistakes. If one has to avoid the office (call center) that does not bode well for the company. One would think a smaller upscale line like Az would encourage direct bookings (no commissions to pay) but the fact that the website is fraught with errors leaves us doubt with other promises they make (such as best price guarantee). Today, the website still shows the dates on the home page for the Friends & Family Sale as August 8-15, 2016. Go to the booking page, open offers, and it shows the sale dates as July 8-15, 2016. Umm, that was last month.

We are so anxious to book over 20K worth of travel with Az, committing well into late 2018, but again, repeated requests for help from the company have not fixed simple problems. It has now become a matter of principle and the answer should not be, "let a travel agent deal with the call center."

Not sure where all you folks are finding these great travel agents- we gave up on them many years ago after many missteps on their part. We learned to enjoy the planning & booking stage as part of the journey and have directly booked numerous cruises and land trips all over the world- with no hassles or mistakes. If one has to avoid the office (call center) that does not bode well for the company. One would think a smaller upscale line like Az would encourage direct bookings (no commissions to pay) but the fact that the website is fraught with errors leaves us doubt with other promises they make (such as best price guarantee). Today, the website still shows the dates on the home page for the Friends & Family Sale as August 8-15, 2016. Go to the booking page, open offers, and it shows the sale dates as July 8-15, 2016. Umm, that was last month.

We are so anxious to book over 20K worth of travel with Az, committing well into late 2018, but again, repeated requests for help from the company have not fixed simple problems. It has now become a matter of principle and the answer should not be, "let a travel agent deal with the call center."

I agree that our booking engine on our website ought to work correctly. I have shared this thread with our web masters.

And I'm not clear on why if youve called our Reservations number, numerous times as you say, they haven't made the B2B booking for you?

I agree that our booking engine on our website ought to work correctly. I have shared this thread with our web masters.

And I'm not clear on why if youve called our Reservations number, numerous times as you say, they haven't made the B2B booking for you?

Being persistent, I just tried using the promo code on other included sale cruises and each time it comes up "invalid code." Another 15 minutes on hold with the call center yielded no further info but another offer to book it for us.

Hi Bonnie- we were hoping you would chime in and help us. As you can see, I mentioned early on in this thread that the office did offer to book the trips for us (not a B2B but two separate trips), however, we would be discarding the stated $150 OBC online booking bonus for a total of $300. We would be celebrating a very special occasion on the first trip and $150 OBC would come in handy.

the office did offer to book the trips for us (not a B2B but two separate trips), however, we would be discarding the stated $150 OBC online booking bonus for a total of $300.

We had screenshots of our online booking and the mentioned on board credit.

After sending this screenshot as prove, the OBC was added to our account.

But all initiative had to come from us..

I totally agree with you, it shouldn't be this difficult!

The online booking system should have the same level of service that we experience onboard.

Today is the last day of the Friends & Family sale- I just tried one last time to enter the promo code "August Sale" and, once again, I get "invalid code." What a shame as we really wanted to try Az but we will not be forced into using a TA or forgo online booking OBC by trying the call center directly (again). I love planning and booking our cruises, but this has just been one frustration after another.

Today is the last day of the Friends & Family sale- I just tried one last time to enter the promo code "August Sale" and, once again, I get "invalid code." What a shame as we really wanted to try Az but we will not be forced into using a TA or forgo online booking OBC by trying the call center directly (again). I love planning and booking our cruises, but this has just been one frustration after another.

Why do you feel like you'd be "forced" to use a TA? TA's are a good thing, at least that's what I believe.

Hi Bonnie- we were hoping you would chime in and help us. As you can see, I mentioned early on in this thread that the office did offer to book the trips for us (not a B2B but two separate trips), however, we would be discarding the stated $150 OBC online booking bonus for a total of $300. We would be celebrating a very special occasion on the first trip and $150 OBC would come in handy.

Our TA gives two or three times that amount of OBC and it's refundable, to boot. That comes in very "handy."

I understand the "principle" of which you speak, but I'm more than a bit puzzled by the refusal to use a travel agent when it would clearly be to your benefit in OBC.

I'm told there is no code to enter to receive the online booking OBC of $150. It happens automatically. I'm also told if you call in, they'll honor it for you.

Is this the code you're referring to in your last post??

RE our F&F sale, there is no code required, I'm told. Here's the email I just received: "There’s no code required! The promo code in the T&Cs for F&F is for the travel agents, it does not apply to online bookings. The discounted price and the online bonus is automatically applied to applicable voyages."

If you're still frustrated, call our 800 number and book through one of our agents.