Western Caribbean ports

Can anyone please help Lady Ann Marquis with info on the following.

We have done 12 ports in the Caribbean but never done western side before - Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan and Harvest Caye, which is NCLs new private Island stop - it is due to open for business in November and we are due there in November so we shall see! Any pointers on any of these ports?

Cozumel is a totally tourist island with loads of taxis waiting at the port. Your best bet would be to research tourist information before you go then just jump in a taxi.

Costa Maya is like going to an hotel for the day with a swimming pool, some local stalls and the usual array of american jewellery shops. Try to do an excursion. Ours was cancelled and we couldn't even go for a walk as the jungle comes right up to the gate.:eek:

Roatan is lovely. We walked about the village, it isn't very big, then took a taxi. We wanted to see some gardens and a butterfly farm. However the rain turned torrential so we ended up just doing a tour of the island.

Hi HappyV, I know this is a very random question but did you see much wildlife? I ask because I am phobic about snakes and lizards and I've heard from friends of such things near the beaches in Mexico and other places. I would like to try new places but don't want our holiday spoiled:(

Hi Dronny, You would be OK in Cozumel and the Costa Maya resort but the reason we didn't go wandering down the road in C.M. was the jungle. We weren't out long enough to see anything in Roatan.

There are a lot of snakes in this area. We were told when we stayed in Cancun that the translation was snakes nest!:eek: So yes we did see one or two there and so did my brother at a different hotel but I would think for the short period of time you are visiting on a cruise it should be alright.

I like lizards so have to admit I wouldn't have taken too much notice. I imagine there must have been a few because they are usually everywhere..........unless the snakes ate them:rolleyes:. This really is a joke, I honestly think you would be fine to do a cruise.

Thanks for your honest response. Not sure whether I can pluck up the courage and wouldn't want to spoil it for my hubby by staying on the ship. I think it will be safer to stay with the Barbados based cruise, not so much jungle type area. We've been there before and had no problem.

Cozumel is a totally tourist island with loads of taxis waiting at the port. Your best bet would be to research tourist information before you go then just jump in a taxi.

Costa Maya is like going to an hotel for the day with a swimming pool, some local stalls and the usual array of american jewellery shops. Try to do an excursion. Ours was cancelled and we couldn't even go for a walk as the jungle comes right up to the gate.:eek:

Roatan is lovely. We walked about the village, it isn't very big, then took a taxi. We wanted to see some gardens and a butterfly farm. However the rain turned torrential so we ended up just doing a tour of the island.

we did the west island tour in roatanwith the butterfly farm it was a brilliant trip saw no snakes or lizards our guide was brilliant stopped at a rum shop as well and there is a tourist area called mahogany bay in the port too with its own beach area

we did the west island tour in roatanwith the butterfly farm it was a brilliant trip saw no snakes or lizards our guide was brilliant stopped at a rum shop as well and there is a tourist area called mahogany bay in the port too with its own beach area

I would have loved to see the butterfly gardens, but when we got out of the taxi the mud was about a foot thick. The organised tour were coming out and said the paths were quite treacherous so we saw the island from the back of a taxi. Maybe we'll go back one day.