Who are the best "casual" cruise lines?

kyjd75

It has been well-established that the majority of Celebrity folk prefer adherence to the formal dress codes. I have no problem with that, and the two Celebrity cruises that we've been on, we complied with the code, formal dress and all. In fact, we've complied with the dress code on all the cruises we've taken.

BUT, we're now ready to go in another direction, and we're looking for quality cruises where we don't have to dress up. Windstar looks promising, and yes, we know about NCL. It also seems that certain of the premium cruises offer a casual dress option as well.

For those who know, what would you recommend?

I can only speak for NCL. We went on NCL Star in Hawaii a couple years ago. We very much enjoyed not having to lug on the formal stuff. The ship was beautiful, the service was great, the food was not very good, except in the alternative dining venues. As much as we like to dress up, it was a nice alternative.

It will be interesting to read what others say about Windstar and the premium/casual lines. I would love to find a cruise with country club casual (not sloppy) and good food.

RSSC, on certain cruises such as Alaska, is "country-club casual' and that was one of the nicest aspects of my RSSC Mariner cruise. "Formal" really seems out-of-place on an Alaska cruise. Cruise passengers are probably the only people in Alaska wearing tuxes.

It will be interesting to read what others say about Windstar and the premium/casual lines. I would love to find a cruise with country club casual (not sloppy) and good food.
I agree, sometimes I would just as soon, not have to dress for dinner. My biggest concern, that once a level of dress (country club casual) is established, that there will be those that want to drag that code down to, cut offs and tank tops. :eek:

Have you looked into Oceania cruises? They seem to offer an atractive package.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/T_Home.aspx?PageUID=e89a1bee-beab-46cb-9fa2-cdbd925dccef

It depends on your personal definition of "casual".

Casual and country club casual are not the same.

Absolutely right!

Oceania and Windstar would be good choices for country club casual.

NCL for casual.

I agree. Country Club Casual is more comparable to what is worn on informal night on a Celebrity Cruise, as opposed to casual night.

I agree. Country Club Casual is more comparable to what is worn on informal night on a Celebrity Cruise, as opposed to casual night.

For women, there may be a lot of overlap. For men, informal means a jacket and perhaps a tie. Country club casual doesn't require a jacket or tie from the guys. That would be a big difference to my husband.

A good point, and one I hadn't thought of. I mean country club casual, NOT shorts and t-shirts!

Radisson has country club casual on the Alaska, Tahiti and Bermuda runs. Some men wear a blazer for the Capt's cocktail but more than half dont.

It is very refreshing not to have to carry two or three formal outfits .

Archived