Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

I've read a lot about freighter travel, Anni. It sounds like it would be a fun and interesting way to travel.

I have a couple of questions regarding car rental for our upcoming cruise. I am on the HAL Eurodam and my itinerary shows us in Kiel on Wednesday, July 8th and in Rostock (not Warnemuende) on Friday, July 17th. We would like to rent cars in both of those places to go sightseeing. (We lived in Germany for many years and are comfortable with driving there.)

1. I think I have found offices for Europcar and Sixt at the Kiel Cruise Terminal (Ostseekai). The addresses given are:

Europcar - Duesternbrooker Weg 24105 Kiel

Sixt - Kiel Cruise Center Ostseekai (only for cruise passengers)

Are these companies actually at the terminal and if so, how do I locate them?

2. Checking for car rental offices in Rostock, I have found:

Europcar "Rostock Till 12PM" at Warnowufer 32

Sixt Rostock City - Grubenstr. 27-29

Sixt Rostock Lutten Klein - Trellerborger Str. 9

Sixt Rostock Opposite Train Station - Gerhardt-Hauptmann-Str. 13

Are any of these near where our ship will dock? If so, which is the closest and where is it located in relation to our dock? (I'm not actually sure where our ship docks in Rostock.)

I want to waste as little time as possible getting to/from a car rental office in Kiel and Rostock, so I appreciate any advice you can give me about this. Thank you.

I've read a lot about freighter travel, Anni. It sounds like it would be a fun and interesting way to travel.

I have a couple of questions regarding car rental for our upcoming cruise. I am on the HAL Eurodam and my itinerary shows us in Kiel on Wednesday, July 8th and in Rostock (not Warnemuende) on Friday, July 17th. We would like to rent cars in both of those places to go sightseeing. (We lived in Germany for many years and are comfortable with driving there.)

1. I think I have found offices for Europcar and Sixt at the Kiel Cruise Terminal (Ostseekai). The addresses given are:

Europcar - Duesternbrooker Weg 24105 Kiel

Sixt - Kiel Cruise Center Ostseekai (only for cruise passengers)

Are these companies actually at the terminal and if so, how do I locate them?

2. Checking for car rental offices in Rostock, I have found:

Europcar "Rostock Till 12PM" at Warnowufer 32

Sixt Rostock City - Grubenstr. 27-29

Sixt Rostock Lutten Klein - Trellerborger Str. 9

Sixt Rostock Opposite Train Station - Gerhardt-Hauptmann-Str. 13

Are any of these near where our ship will dock? If so, which is the closest and where is it located in relation to our dock? (I'm not actually sure where our ship docks in Rostock.)

I want to waste as little time as possible getting to/from a car rental office in Kiel and Rostock, so I appreciate any advice you can give me about this. Thank you.

Hi, Most car-hire companies nowadays realise that cruisers hire cars and are providing facilities exclusively for cruise ship passengers at the terminals.

However, you have the misfortune :rolleyes: to be docking in Rostock on one of the only two days when we have five ships in port together so your berth is LP41 in the Commercial Port of Rostock, some 10klms downriver from the City on the opposite side to Warnemünde. The map at http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/passenger-information.html shows the position of the Port in relation to both Warnemünde and the City.

Both Europcar and Sixt have pick-up/drop-off facilities at Warnemünde Cruise Terminal and I imagine that they provide a service to the Port especially with two big ships in on that day. It would be worth while contacting them.

If neither firm delivers to the Port, Sixt have a depot at the Hauptbahnhof (main station) and most cruise ships docking at LP41 offer a shuttle service to the station so if your ship offers the shuttle that would be the easiest option. The Europcar depot is in the city and the quickest way would be by taxi.

Kiel is much easier. Sixt have a desk in the Terminal and the pick-up/drop-off is right there. The Europcar depot is a very short walk away but they may also have pick-up/drop-off facilities at the terminal.

I have used both companies here in Germany and really the only difference between the two would be which offers the easier pick-up/drop-off option for you.

Hope this helps,

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Spelling

Anni,

Thank you for the very helpful information about the rental cars in Kiel and Rostock.

I have a couple questions about touring on our port day in Rostock.

1. We are traveling with another couple who have never been to Berlin and might like to go there for the day on Friday, July 17th. (Yes, I know it's crazy!) We lived there for several years and are happy to take this couple there, but are concerned somewhat by afternoon traffic. Where I live in the U.S., on Friday afternoons in the summer, there is a mass exodus to the beaches and the highways are often a parking lot. Do the inhabitants of Berlin head to the Baltic beaches on Fridays too and should we expect the same kind of traffic out of Berlin on a Friday afternoon? How long would you think this drive would take? (Googlemaps and the Michelin Travel Planner give me times ranging from 2.5 - 3 hours.) Our ship leaves at 8pm, so I was thinking we'd leave Berlin around 3pm.

2. Should we decide to stay closer to Rostock, I was thinking of a driving trip to Schwerin and, hopefully, Ludwigslust. We have an interest in military history, so would appreciate seeing the memorial described in your website. We also have an interest in Cold War history and I was wondering if a visit to the Stasi Prison in Rostock is worthwhile. Have you ever been there and, if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Thank you for any advice you can give on these questions.

Anni,

Thank you for the very helpful information about the rental cars in Kiel and Rostock.

I have a couple questions about touring on our port day in Rostock.

1. We are traveling with another couple who have never been to Berlin and might like to go there for the day on Friday, July 17th. (Yes, I know it's crazy!) We lived there for several years and are happy to take this couple there, but are concerned somewhat by afternoon traffic. Where I live in the U.S., on Friday afternoons in the summer, there is a mass exodus to the beaches and the highways are often a parking lot. Do the inhabitants of Berlin head to the Baltic beaches on Fridays too and should we expect the same kind of traffic out of Berlin on a Friday afternoon? How long would you think this drive would take? (Googlemaps and the Michelin Travel Planner give me times ranging from 2.5 - 3 hours.) Our ship leaves at 8pm, so I was thinking we'd leave Berlin around 3pm.

2. Should we decide to stay closer to Rostock, I was thinking of a driving trip to Schwerin and, hopefully, Ludwigslust. We have an interest in military history, so would appreciate seeing the memorial described in your website. We also have an interest in Cold War history and I was wondering if a visit to the Stasi Prison in Rostock is worthwhile. Have you ever been there and, if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Thank you for any advice you can give on these questions.

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

Re Berlin. The roads do get pretty congested around Berlin in the afternoons but not especially on Fridays, Sunday is the time to avoid. If you can clear the city by 4pm then you should be OK unless, of course, there is an accident or other blockage of the highway. The tour buses always have a 'plan B' and listen to local radio which constantly updates traffic conditions so if you understand German that is the way to go.

Re Schwerin and Ludwigslust. With a car it is very easy to do both in the one day and still have time for Rostock. As your ship docks so early I would advise the furthest place first ie Ludwigslust as the memorial sites are open all the time, whereas in Schwerin the Castle etc. does not open until 10am.

Re Stasi Prison. I have visited the Documentation Centre/Prison and found it extremely interesting even though at that time everything was in German only. Since my visit many of the information panels have been translated into English and an Audio Guide is also available. As closing time is not until 6pm. it could be fitted in on the way back from Schwerin.

http://coldwarsites.net/country/germany/former-stasi-pre-trial-prison-rostock/

On a personal note - I was interested that you lived for many years in Berlin. Was this with the Military? I was an English Military Brat way back in the 50's and love the city.

If you do decide to visit Ludwigslust it would be my pleasure to show you around. This is not an offer of a guided tour but just a desire to meet fellow CC members and to help you enjoy the beautiful, interesting area where I choose to live. An extension of my role on this forum really. If you would like to meet please contact me on anniellis13@gmail.com

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni, you have me convinced that we should spend our Rostock day in port by visiting Ludwigsluft, Schwerin and the Stasi site in Rostock. I've crunched the times too and I think we can manage it all. Now I just have to get the others to agree.

Your invitation to meet and show us around is so generous. I'm not sure when I can get a commitment from the other couple, but I will definitely be in touch as soon as I know something.

My spouse is a U.S. Foreign Service Officer who was posted to Berlin in the 1990's between the time of the fall of the Wall and the return of the capital from Bonn. It was certainly an interesting time to be there and we really enjoyed living in Berlin. Also, don't I recall that you lived in Brisbane too? We were posted to Canberra as well and absolutely loved Australia.

Hi Anni -

Thanks so much for the wealth of information on this thread and your website! I haven't found much about the Warnemunde area other than your information, so I really appreciate you putting it out there.

We dock in Warnemunde on Fri., July 10 from 7:00-21:00. Thanks to your info, we've decided to stay in the area and not take the long trip to Berlin. We're debating two options: stay in Warnemunde and enjoy Regatta Week, or take trains to see the castle in Schwerin and the villages of Wismar and Bad Doberan. So I have two questions:

1. Warnemunde Week - are there any events or festivities open to the public? We enjoy catching local festivals, so that would be a great way to spend the day! I've looked through the website (http://www.warnemuender-woche.com/Programm) but it's unclear when and where the activities are, and how much it costs.

2. If we decide to check out Schwerin, Wismar, and Bad Doberan, do you think it's feasible to connect them all by train, something like this?

1-ticket to Rostock (because we're heading out before 9:00)

+1-Lander ticket, use for 9:07 train to Schwerin (1hr)

use Lander ticket to Wismar (30min; 11:46, 12:46)

use Lander ticket to Bad Doberan (45min; 13:42, 14:42, 15:42)

use Lander ticket to Warnemunde (1hr; 16:30, 16:45, 17:00, 17:30 etc.)

(I'm looking at the bahn.de website for these routes)

We're comfortable navigating public transportation in other countries and we're fairly "fast-paced" tourists. According to the train schedules, it looks like we could even squeeze in Lubeck, but I think I saw somewhere on this thread that's too much?

Let me know what you think of those two options. Thanks again for your help!

Hi Anni -

Thanks so much for the wealth of information on this thread and your website! I haven't found much about the Warnemunde area other than your information, so I really appreciate you putting it out there.

We dock in Warnemunde on Fri., July 10 from 7:00-21:00. Thanks to your info, we've decided to stay in the area and not take the long trip to Berlin. We're debating two options: stay in Warnemunde and enjoy Regatta Week, or take trains to see the castle in Schwerin and the villages of Wismar and Bad Doberan. So I have two questions:

1. Warnemunde Week - are there any events or festivities open to the public? We enjoy catching local festivals, so that would be a great way to spend the day! I've looked through the website (http://www.warnemuender-woche.com/Programm) but it's unclear when and where the activities are, and how much it costs.

2. If we decide to check out Schwerin, Wismar, and Bad Doberan, do you think it's feasible to connect them all by train, something like this?

1-ticket to Rostock (because we're heading out before 9:00)

+1-Lander ticket, use for 9:07 train to Schwerin (1hr)

use Lander ticket to Wismar (30min; 11:46, 12:46)

use Lander ticket to Bad Doberan (45min; 13:42, 14:42, 15:42)

use Lander ticket to Warnemunde (1hr; 16:30, 16:45, 17:00, 17:30 etc.)

(I'm looking at the bahn.de website for these routes)

We're comfortable navigating public transportation in other countries and we're fairly "fast-paced" tourists. According to the train schedules, it looks like we could even squeeze in Lubeck, but I think I saw somewhere on this thread that's too much?

Let me know what you think of those two options. Thanks again for your help!

Hi, thank you so much for your appreciation. You have done your research well, it is only left for me to add a couple of points.

1. Warnemünde Woche is mostly about the Yachting Regatta but some other events, such as the beach sports and the street markets are happening all week. Unfortunately the really fun things, (parades, dragonboat races, washtub Derby, etc) are held on the first and last weekends Most events are open ie. they are held in public places like the beach so no tickets or entry fees etc. With your late sailing time you would probably have time to take a walk through the town and at least get the atmosphere should you decide to go with your second itinerary.

2. Firstly, Lübeck is a day trip in itself from Warnemünde unless you have a car; by train you would not have time to do justice to any of the places on your itinerary.

Your plans for Schwerin, Wismar and Bad Doberan will work but please note that the Lander ticket is not valid on the bus from Bad Doberan, only the RB, RE and S trains.

If you have any other questions please ask but I am sure that you have it all in hand, enjoy!

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Travelanni,

I wanted to thank you again for all your help and information. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to see a different, less traveled side of Germany that most cruisers don't get to see.

Schwerin was as pretty as the pictures. Its something of a shame that more non-Germans don't get to see more than a bus seat view of Berlin passing them by on their day in Germany.

Travelanni,

My whole family wants to thank you for your help in planning our cruise stops in Kiel and Warnemunde. Per your advice we took a train (despite the strike) into Hamburg to see the Miniatur Wunderland and rented a car in Warnemunde.

Hamburg was having the port celebration and it was wonderful to be there that day (although so busy!). Driving to Schwerin and Wismar was very nice. We had wonderful crepes in Wismar for lunch. As you said driving was very easy in the area.

You live in a very nice area of Germany!

Jaye

Travelanni,

My whole family wants to thank you for your help in planning our cruise stops in Kiel and Warnemunde. Per your advice we took a train (despite the strike) into Hamburg to see the Miniatur Wunderland and rented a car in Warnemunde.

Hamburg was having the port celebration and it was wonderful to be there that day (although so busy!). Driving to Schwerin and Wismar was very nice. We had wonderful crepes in Wismar for lunch. As you said driving was very easy in the area.

You live in a very nice area of Germany!

Jaye

Travelanni,

I wanted to thank you again for all your help and information. Without it, I wouldn't have been able to see a different, less traveled side of Germany that most cruisers don't get to see.

Schwerin was as pretty as the pictures. Its something of a shame that more non-Germans don't get to see more than a bus seat view of Berlin passing them by on their day in Germany.

Hi,

Thank you both very much for your appreciation and for taking the trouble to give feedback. I spend quite a lot of time on this forum, reading the questions (often the same ones over and over again :() researching answers (they do not all come off the top of my head :rolleyes:) and typing replies, but it makes it all really worthwhile to hear that I have helped someone to enjoy my little part of the world .

Yes, I do live in a beautiful part of Germany and only wish more people could experience it. I live here by choice, having spent the best part of the last twenty years travelling all over the world. I know that one day I must return to Australia but it will not be easy to leave.

Once again, my sincere thanks. :)

Anni

Anni,

I just read somewhere that the Princess ships have been docking in the "industrial" port rather than the Warnemunde passenger port, which is quite a distance from the Warnemunde train station. How do I verify this is true? If it is, do you recommend taking a taxi to the train station or is there some other means of getting into Warnemunde?

Thanks again for all your information! We're looking forward to seeing Schwerin and catching some of the Warnemunde Week festivities!

Anni,

I just read somewhere that the Princess ships have been docking in the "industrial" port rather than the Warnemunde passenger port, which is quite a distance from the Warnemunde train station. How do I verify this is true? If it is, do you recommend taking a taxi to the train station or is there some other means of getting into Warnemunde?

Thanks again for all your information! We're looking forward to seeing Schwerin and catching some of the Warnemunde Week festivities!

Here is the link to the Warnemunde port schedule Remember the MONTH comes AFTER the day of the month. So June 1st will show as 01.06 to help with the calendar.

http://www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise-shipping/port-calls/2015-port-calls.html

Anni,

The Warnemünde Cruise Ship Terminal can only take a maximum of two large and one small cruise ships at one time so if there are more the larger ships go to the Port of Rostock commercial area on the other side of the river. It is a matter of luck if your Princess ship will dock there or not but the web site quoted by Sauer Kraut will tell you.

The berths in the Warnemünde cruise terminal are numbered P1-4, P7 and P8; the berths in the commercial port are LP31 and LP41.

I had a quick look and the only Princess ship which I can find docking over there was Regal on 05/05 but better to check.

If you are on LP31 or LP41 most ships run a shuttle bus into the City, there is also a public bus service from the dock gate to the nearest rail station but it is not very frequent.There are always taxis waiting in the car park.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Our ship, Eurodam, is docked at Rostock dock LP41 on July 17th. Our group of 7 has decided not to travel to Berlin, but would rather spend the day walking around the beach area of Warnermunde and Alter Strom. What would be the easiest and most economical way to reach this area from the dock?

Hello.

Our ship, Eurodam, is docked at Rostock dock LP41 on July 17th. Our group of 7 has decided not to travel to Berlin, but would rather spend the day walking around the beach area of Warnermunde and Alter Strom. What would be the easiest and most economical way to reach this area from the dock?

Hi, your ship may run a shuttle into Warnemünde but otherwise the only way is by bus and train.

Bus and train - there is a bus service to the nearest train station, Lütten Klein where you can pick up the s-bahn into Warnemünde.

The bus stop is on the main road about 50m from the dock gate, same side of the road. Bus #45 runs every half hour at 5mins past and 35mins past the hour, Monday to Friday. On Saturday and Sunday #45 runs hourly from 8:35

Return from Lütten Klein - Monday to Friday at 3mins past and 33 mins past the hour, last bus 20:03 (NB there is no bus at 19:33) . Saturday and Sunday at 3 mins past the hour, last bus 19:03. The buses stop right in the train station, on the same side of the tracks as the platform you require and are timed to connect with the s-bahn. The s-bahn departs every 15 mins, every day.

Tickets can be bought from the machine on the bus and the one trip single (2euro) is valid for the whole journey, on both the bus and the train.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Hi, your ship may run a shuttle into Warnemünde but otherwise the only way is by bus and train.

Bus and train - there is a bus service to the nearest train station, Lütten Klein where you can pick up the s-bahn into Warnemünde.

The bus stop is on the main road about 50m from the dock gate, same side of the road. Bus #45 runs every half hour at 5mins past and 35mins past the hour, Monday to Friday. On Saturday and Sunday #45 runs hourly from 8:35

Return from Lütten Klein - Monday to Friday at 3mins past and 33 mins past the hour, last bus 20:03 (NB there is no bus at 19:33) . Saturday and Sunday at 3 mins past the hour, last bus 19:03. The buses stop right in the train station, on the same side of the tracks as the platform you require and are timed to connect with the s-bahn. The s-bahn departs every 15 mins, every day.

Tickets can be bought from the machine on the bus and the one trip single (2euro) is valid for the whole journey, on both the bus and the train.

Anni

Thank you very much for this information. Now we just hope for good weather!

Anne

• 4 weeks later...

Travelanni......

I just wanted to thank youfor the very useful info you gave on here.

We used the Lander ticket to travel to Wismar and back...really enjoyed the town.

I bought the ticket on-line using your instructions with no problem at all.

Printed the ticket and remembered to take the credit card I used to buy it with me.

I did get midly told off on the return journey in German, and with a smile, because I had folded the ticket across the image that they scan with their machine. She tried a number of times but it would not read it. I think she said something like "next time no good".

So my advice is be cafeful how you fold your e ticket....:)

Thanks again Anni

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the thread 'Is Berlin worth 6 hours on a bus', post #6 by 'dogs4fun' you will find a description of how they took a tour and arranged to be dropped at the Pergamon museum while the others had lunch. I would be interested to know how they managed the tickets as I understood that,during the high season, you have to book in advance and be given a time slot but maybe I'm wrong. I am fortunate in being able to visit out of season.

It all depends really on how much time you have and where you have free time. If it is in the Kurfurstendam area for shopping then there is not much in the way of museums. If, however, it is in the area of the Jewish Holocaust Memorial where there are souvenir shops and cafes then there is a fascinating little exhibition on Hitlers plan for Berlin after the war. It was truly amazing.

The most important museums are on Unter den Linden and Museum Island and really require more than a couple of hours.

It might be an idea to discuss this with your tour company, they may be able to suggest a museum which would fit in with the tour and make best use of your time.

Happy planning and cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

The planning and getting there is half the fun of the holiday.

Hi Anni,

My DW and I are planning to spend 5-7 days pre-cruise in Germany next year (2016). We plan to fly from the USA to Berlin, stay 3 nights, take the train to Hamburg and stay 1-2 nights, then take the train to Copenhagen and stay 1-2 nights. We board the ship in Copenhagen. The only "must-see" on our agenda is a performance of the Berlin Philharmonic. Any suggestions regarding hotels, trains, tours, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan

Edited by StarTrkGeek

We are on a Princess Cruise that is docking in Hamburg and would like to go into Berlin. Is that too long of a ride, are there tour companies that would take you from Hamburg to Berlin?

Is the Berlin Wall really worth the trip or would we be better seeing the sights of Hamburg? This is our first trip to Germany.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Kathy:D

We are on a Princess Cruise that is docking in Hamburg and would like to go into Berlin. Is that too long of a ride, are there tour companies that would take you from Hamburg to Berlin?

Is the Berlin Wall really worth the trip or would we be better seeing the sights of Hamburg? This is our first trip to Germany.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Kathy:D

The high speed ICE train takes 1 hour 45 minutes to get from Hamburg to Berlin. The regional trains take much longer.

Alan