Pulpit Rock- too much time on water?

We thought the Lysefjord cruise was beautiful. Lots of waterfalls (and even goats) up close. Your choice. We found pictures online of the area and we're sold.

We pre-ordered the cruise tickets (not thru ship) to make sure we had seats. We had beautiful weather which made for gorgeous pictures.

Edited by eandj

Is it too much time to be spending on the water if we take the cruise to Pulpit Rock? Considering we are already on a 7 night cruise, what advantage is there to cruise to Pulpit Rock? Is the scenery there that much different?

I also enjoyed the Lysefjord cruise excursion, even though in my case it was misty and rainy. BUT, to directly answer your question, I guess it wasn't that much different than much of what you will likely see from your cruise ship during the rest of your 7 night cruise. Although that somewhat depends on your itinerary. Of note, you will barely be able to differentiate Pulpit Rock from the rest of the rock walls you will pass as your boat sails by. From the base of the cliff, it all pretty much looks the same. When our guide pointed out Pulpit Rock, I had to look up and say... "you mean that? or that?" it's not as obvious as what you see in the pictures taken from above. So, would I do that excursion again? In a heartbeat. But don't do it just because you think you're going to see Pulpit Rock. That's not really a big deal. I would also base the decision on what else you might have available to do that day. In my case, the excursion was what interested me most.

I also enjoyed the Lysefjord cruise excursion, even though in my case it was misty and rainy. BUT, to directly answer your question, I guess it wasn't that much different than much of what you will likely see from your cruise ship during the rest of your 7 night cruise. Although that somewhat depends on your itinerary. Of note, you will barely be able to differentiate Pulpit Rock from the rest of the rock walls you will pass as your boat sails by. From the base of the cliff, it all pretty much looks the same. When our guide pointed out Pulpit Rock, I had to look up and say... "you mean that? or that?" it's not as obvious as what you see in the pictures taken from above. So, would I do that excursion again? In a heartbeat. But don't do it just because you think you're going to see Pulpit Rock. That's not really a big deal. I would also base the decision on what else you might have available to do that day. In my case, the excursion was what interested me most.

I agree. I loved the fjord boat excursion from Stavanger and I am doing it again on my upcoming cruise. Not so much for pulpit rock, but the up close views of goats, waterfalls, etc. I would love to go up on Pulpit Rock but will need to wait for a land tour with enough time.

Pulpit rock is very different. I found it very easy to pick out. Take powerful binoculars and/or a decent camera, so you can look at the people sitting on the edge with their feet dangling over the fjord. (There isn't actually a 2,000 foot drop into the water. You would fall about 1,200 feet, bounce of some rocks, and then fall 800 feet more into the water.)

The Pulpit Rock cruise does stuff that the large ship doesn't. The big ship won't take you up to a waterfall so you can have a drink of waterfall water, or take you into a pirate's cove, or get close enough to feed the goats. You'll also be much closer to the waterline and so get a different view of the cliffs.

• 2 weeks later...

If the weather is bad, I would prefer to not be on the water. Is it taking too much of a chance by waiting until we get on shore to try to get a ticket? If the weather is rainy, is the trip still enjoyable? We will be there late August/ early Sept. Thanks! Sounds like it could be a very nice trip!