Kristiansand- is it worth a visit as it is rarely mentioned?!

My husband Steve and I are taking our first ever cruise on Azura , May 26th.

Our first port of call is Kristiansand. There is little mention of Kristiansand on the boards. Apart from the Folk museum, is there much else worth exploring? We are a going to be self guided and may well be happy with the museum and a bit of shopping to get the holiday started but would not want to miss anything really worthwhile.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks, Sarah.

Here is what I found out and posted on our Roll Call for the 'Top of the World' cruise this summer. Perhaps it helps. If you like more information about the boat trip, let me know.

I just received in the mail a pamphlet about all the attractions in Kristiansand. It has a great map with references of various places to see and things to do. It is in Norwegian, English and German.

The town is quite small, but it has a nice waterfront and a small beach right in the downtown area. If you like to take a walk there are numerous paths. You can rent a bicycle or hop on a local 'train' that goes around the town, etc.

There are a couple pedestrian streets with shops, museums and galleries. The ship docks very close to the town and it is all well within walking distance.

If you want to order your own brochure, go to the bottom of the following web site.

http://www.regionkristiansand.no/ind...expand=187,188

I have also looked into taking bus/boat trip to the west of Kristiansand. It would be in the morning and we would be back for an afternoon stroll around the town. I mentioned the details on an earlier thread.

• 9 months later...
Kristiansand is a really charming place! I used to go there every summer when I was a child.

If you got the chance, do NOT miss Kristiansand Zoo! 11 km east of Kristiansand:

http://www.dyreparken.no/*****-oss/Spraak/Kristiansand-Zoo-and-Amusement-Park/

I would love to go to this zoo! Can anyone tell me how we would get there? We will be on HAL's Eurodam in Kristiansand from 8:00 AM-5:00PM on a Wednesday in August.

I have also looked into taking bus/boat trip to the west of Kristiansand. It would be in the morning and we would be back for an afternoon stroll around the town.

After I posted the above we returned from this trip and indeed the local bus to Holnen and the boat trip was fantastic. The small boat services several small islands where Norwegians have their summer cottages on tiny islands that are absolutely charming. The bus took about 25 minutes one way and the boat trip an hour or so. After we got back to Kristiansand we had lunch in town and enjoyed the shopping and sights of this little gem.

Great trip. For those interested have a look at http://www.*****.com/Norway2.html

You will love this little place!!!!

Lair Bear:

Your photos are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting!

It is nice to read comments like that, Suzie. We were very lucky with the weather and, as always, being there and seeing those great islands was worth the extra effort to find the local bus. On the way back we talked to a lady on the bus who was very interested in what we were doing and that also helped to make the trip more interesting.

It is nice to read comments like that, Suzie. We were very lucky with the weather and, as always, being there and seeing those great islands was worth the extra effort to find the local bus. On the way back we talked to a lady on the bus who was very interested in what we were doing and that also helped to make the trip more interesting.

I went to your webpage (or whatever it's called) and looked at all the stuff you have there. I wish I knew how to do that! It is so well organized and I like the way you have displayed the photos with the comments, etc. That must take HOURS to complete!

I went to your webpage (or whatever it's called) and looked at all the stuff you have there. I wish I knew how to do that! It is so well organized and I like the way you have displayed the photos with the comments, etc. That must take HOURS to complete!

If you go to the section called 'Cruise Blogs and Web Sites' you can read (at the top) a thread started by 12B@C where several people have suggestions about how to do this.

Yes, it does take some time to put together, but I enjoy sorting things out and putting these pages together for my relatives and friends to see. But I have to organize this shortly after we get back home or I'll forget a lot. It is also a good way to store pictures without the volumes of 'scrapbooks' that we started years ago and never look at again.

• 4 years later...
Looking for info on Segway rental in kristianand?

location, website, reservation.

planning cruise stop on Monday, aug 10th, Insignia

Cant help with Segway, but wanted to let you know that it is a very short walk into town from where the ship docks (we were on the HAL Eurodam). In the morning we walked/hiked on the little island of Odderoya (WW II ruins and lovely views) then back to the ship for a quick lunch, then out again to walk around town. Very lovely town, pretty waterfront walk, outdoor cafe's, got my fix of free wifi, lots of shopping and a nice pedestrian only shopping street. However, prices are quite high when you convert to US Dollars!

It was a very nice stop, a change in pace from the cities!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Hi Sunsetbeachgal,

We will be in Kristiansand from 9-5 on Sept 12 on the Regal...Will we miss anything special if we do not take a tour...We do love to walk around...and we were unable to dock a few years ago due to weather so we are really looking forward to visiting.

So my question is......should we just go off ship and wander?

Marsha

mbchot13@yahoo.com

Hi Sunsetbeachgal,

We will be in Kristiansand from 9-5 on Sept 12 on the Regal...Will we miss anything special if we do not take a tour...We do love to walk around...and we were unable to dock a few years ago due to weather so we are really looking forward to visiting.

So my question is......should we just go off ship and wander?

Marsha

mbchot13@yahoo.com

Yes! Just get off the ship and walk into town, I promise you will have a lovely day. We enjoyed the little waterfront walk, the shops, etc. There is a fish market that we walked through too. The ship docks VERY close to town and we went back and forth after hiking/walking on Oderroya to have lunch on the ship then headed back into town. The prices are so high in Norway that we decided to have lunch back on the ship! It is quite a lovely little town, relaxing day and a nice change in pace from the other larger cities we visited on our cruise.

• Like 1

Hi Sunsentbeachgal,

Thank you so much for your response.

We wanted to do just that but was afraid we would miss something if we did not cruise the Blindlieia Passage and see Lillisand.

We always prefer to wander and explore on our own or with our roll call friends.

We will take your advice and I know we will have a wonderful day.

Marsha

Edited by leonardch

• 5 months later...

We will have a day in Kristiansand this June from 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM and it looks an excellent DIY port for simply wandering around to explore. The Baneheia parkland seems like a nice area to include and enjoy nature. Is it close to the cruise terminal?

Edited by billrco90278

• 1 year later...
Yes! Just get off the ship and walk into town, I promise you will have a lovely day. We enjoyed the little waterfront walk, the shops, etc. There is a fish market that we walked through too. The ship docks VERY close to town and we went back and forth after hiking/walking on Oderroya to have lunch on the ship then headed back into town. The prices are so high in Norway that we decided to have lunch back on the ship! It is quite a lovely little town, relaxing day and a nice change in pace from the other larger cities we visited on our cruise.

We will have a day in Kristiansand this June from 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM and it looks an excellent DIY port for simply wandering around to explore. The Baneheia parkland seems like a nice area to include and enjoy nature. Is it close to the cruise terminal?

We have been to Norway several times but not Kristiansand. Walking/hiking at Baneheia and Oderroya along with walking around old town sounds like a great day for us in Kristiansand. We love small picturesque towns and the great outdoors. Would all be doable in one day including a quick lunch back on the ship and a cafe stop in town for wifi? Can we walk to both Baneheia and Oderroya from town? As a reference, most days at home we walk 5-8 miles a day and 6-10+ on the ship and in ports. If we only have time for Baneheia or Oderroya, which one do you recommend?