Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

I live in Ålesund and are more than happy to help you with any questions you might have visiting Ålesund and the Norwegian Fjords.

There are some really informative threads already on the board and I have compiled a few here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781806

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965567

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1350812

Hit me with those questions:D....either here or start another thread.

Lets start planning your perfect stay in Norway.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thanks so much for doing this. I am looking for a walking tour of Alesund but have had no success.

A few walking tours are offered and you can email Destination Ålesund for prices and to sign up.

Destinasjon Ålesund & Sunnmøre

Tel.: 70 15 76 00

info@visitalesund.com

I was trying to upload a PDF brochure of walking tours in and around Ålesund but it seemed to fail.

I could send it to you in an email.

The tours I have in mind for you are:

1: Ålesund Guided walk

AALE SUND MUSEU M (OPTIONAL )

A stroll through Ålesund reveals a town full of colourful and

beautiful architecture as well as strong maritime traditions. Enjoy

the charming pedestrian zone and the picturesque fishing

harbour Brosundet where the fishermen sell their catch directly

from their boats. See the panoramic view of the town from the

lower part of Mount Aksla. Experience the distinctive Art Nouveau

architecture; the town was devastated by a fire a winter’s

night in 1904, leaving 10.000 people homeless. During a period

of three years, the entire town centre was rebuilt in this unique

style with a myriad of turrets, spires and medieval ornaments.

TOUR DESCRIPTION

Guided walk through the town centre and the inner harbour.

Please note that the tour does not take the group all the way

up to the vantage point at Mount Aksla. Optional for this tour is

to include a visit to the town museum, Aalesunds Museum, that

gives a vivid insight into the history of Ålesund. The permanent

exhibitions are devoted to the great town fire in 1904, World War

II, as well as the development of the town as one of Norway’s

most prominent fishing- and shipping ports.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 1,5 – 2 hours

Capacity: 20 pax per. guide

Season: All year

Note: Walking tour

Visit to AALESUNDS MUSEUM optional

Tour 2: Ålesund Guided walk &

The Art Nouveau Centre

In the great fire of 23 January 1904 the whole town of Ålesund

was destroyed, and between 1904–1907 a new town rose like

Bird Phoenix from the ashes. More than 400 houses were

designed by 50 Norwegian architects, strongly inspired by an

international influence of Art Nouveau and National Romanticism.

The town has a unique place in Norwegian architectural history.

Its international significance is confirmed through participation

in a European network of Art Nouveau cities including Glasgow,

Vienna, Barcelona, Brussels and Riga.

Visit the National Art Nouveau Centre located in a beautiful

building from this period. Enjoy “The Time Machine” that takes

you back to the great fire in 1904. Through a multi media show

it gives you a direct insight into the dramatic happening that

stormy winter night. Informative and entertaining!

TOUR DESCRIPTION

Guided walk through the town centre, the inner harbour and the

town park. The tour includes a visit to the Art Nouveau Centre.

Coffee & cakes are available at the Art Nouveau Centre.

FIGURES & FACTS

Duration: 2,5 hours, 3 hours including coffee & cakes

Capacity: 15 pax per. guide

Season: All year

Note: Walking tour

Visit to the ART NOUVEAU CENTRE included

Having posted this I must say that Ålesund is a very small and compact city to do a self guided walking tour. You have the options of walking and taking the hop on/off bus or "train" to the main sights and viewpoints.

Edited by I-Cruiser
  • Like 1

I live in Ålesund and are more than happy to help you with any questions you might have visiting Ålesund and the Norwegian Fjords.

There are some really informative threads already on the board and I have compiled a few here.

I am so glad you started a thread to help. I have asked you questions on other threads so now I will ask away on your own thread.

Thanks again for all the valuable info you provide. Karen

We are booked on a cruise a couple of weeks later in May but are considering switching to this one. Is there much difference in weather, tour openings, road closures, etc. if we decide to go the first of May versus leaving on the 17th?

Thanks for your help.

Joyce and Danny

We are booked on a cruise a couple of weeks later in May but are considering switching to this one. Is there much difference in weather, tour openings, road closures, etc. if we decide to go the first of May versus leaving on the 17th?

Thanks for your help.

Joyce and Danny

Normally (whatever that means when it comes to the weather patterns these days:D) Mid to late May is warmer. The spring will be in full bloom. Early May can still be cold with temps in the mid/high 40Fs and its known to snow occasionally.

Most of the tours will still be the same. Many tour companies will not start before early June.

The tourist routes of Trollstigen/Path of the trolls, Mt. Dalsnibba would most likely be closed early to mid May. The opening of these roads all depends on how much snow we get during the summer. So far this winter we`ve had hardly any snow and if it continues like this the roads would open early. Still, its 3 more moths of winter.

The opening of these roads are posted online and I will post it here as soon as I know:)

The waterfalls will be at its most spectacular in May due to the snow melting in the mountains.

Hi again.

I have looked at the Flam hiking map. Is it possible to take the Flam train up to Mrydal and then on the return train to get off at Berekvam?This looks like an interesting walk down past

Rjoandefossen Falls, Flam Church, Hareina, Lunden and a view of the Brekkefossen waterfalls.

Is this a nice walk?

Thanks again, Karen

RCI offers a "Path of the Trolls" excursion from Alesund. 2 persons would cost us $350 USD, including lunch. The other option is doing it on our own by renting a car. The car would be $125 USD. What can we expect to pay for gasoline/petrol when we visit in early June?

I know gasoline and food is expensive in Norway, so I'm thinking it might not be worth the price difference. We have 12 hours in port. Would it be better for us to take the organized tour so DH would not miss the scenery while driving? Or does the drive have ample places to stop that might not be included in a organized tour, but we could enjoy on our own?

RCI offers a "Path of the Trolls" excursion from Alesund. 2 persons would cost us $350 USD, including lunch. The other option is doing it on our own by renting a car. The car would be $125 USD. What can we expect to pay for gasoline/petrol when we visit in early June?

I know gasoline and food is expensive in Norway, so I'm thinking it might not be worth the price difference. We have 12 hours in port. Would it be better for us to take the organized tour so DH would not miss the scenery while driving? Or does the drive have ample places to stop that might not be included in a organized tour, but we could enjoy on our own?

Doing on your own will make for a more organic tour but more "work" for the driver:) You can stop at at least a dozen places where the tour will not stop and you can take you own time at the stops.

A ful tank of petrol, 50 liters, will cost you approx NOK 800,- or about US$130,-

You can get some food for a pick nick lunch/snacks at a grocery store. Depending what you would get but food for NOK500,- would be sufficient.

Lars

We will be in Alesund on 6 May 2014, and have rented a car at 08:00 to drive to Runde Island and see the birds. Then we planned on possibly visiting Sunmore outdoor museum on the return, visit the Aksla hilltop, and walk around Alesund before our cruise ship departs at 21:00.

Please advise the best route to get to Runde Island and whether there is anything interesting to see or visit on the way. Should be return the same way or is there another interesting route back.

Any observations about the time that it will take to do this and then visit Sunmore would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

Hi

Thank you for all the information and lovely photographs. We have booked on Celebrity Eclipse Fjords cruise 2nd to 10th May (our anniversary on 9th). I am thinking about clothing for the trip and see from your posts that it will still be quite cold. Are we talking thick waterproof coats, fleece with a waterproof on top or a combination or something different? Type of footwear? Will there be snow/ice on the ground? We did Scandinavia and Russia last year and we loved it especially Norway. Can't wait. Will probably be asking lots more question!

Hi again.

I have looked at the Flam hiking map. Is it possible to take the Flam train up to Mrydal and then on the return train to get off at Berekvam?This looks like an interesting walk down past

Rjoandefossen Falls, Flam Church, Hareina, Lunden and a view of the Brekkefossen waterfalls.

Is this a nice walk?

Thanks again, Karen

Karen - I am not sure about this. Normally I would call the tourist information in Flaam to ask for you.

We are on our way to Cuba tomorrow morning so unfortunately I will not have time.

You could email them at this address:

post@sognefjorden-as.no

Hi

Thank you for all the information and lovely photographs. We have booked on Celebrity Eclipse Fjords cruise 2nd to 10th May (our anniversary on 9th). I am thinking about clothing for the trip and see from your posts that it will still be quite cold. Are we talking thick waterproof coats, fleece with a waterproof on top or a combination or something different? Type of footwear? Will there be snow/ice on the ground? We did Scandinavia and Russia last year and we loved it especially Norway. Can't wait. Will probably be asking lots more question!

Congrats on your 9th anniversary:):)

I would dress in layers and bring a fleece jacket and a lightweight waterproof jacket. There is no need for thick winter coats.

There will not be any snow/ice on the ground so comfortable walking shoes/sneakers are ok. If you are planning on hiking bring hiking shoes.

May is early spring so the weather could be sunny but might get a bit chilly cruising the fjords/at sea and during the evening.

Lars

We will be in Alesund on 6 May 2014, and have rented a car at 08:00 to drive to Runde Island and see the birds. Then we planned on possibly visiting Sunmore outdoor museum on the return, visit the Aksla hilltop, and walk around Alesund before our cruise ship departs at 21:00.

Please advise the best route to get to Runde Island and whether there is anything interesting to see or visit on the way. Should be return the same way or is there another interesting route back.

Any observations about the time that it will take to do this and then visit Sunmore would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Bill

Hi Bill - to actually see the birds at Runde you need to take a boat around to the cliff/island.

I found a route map and direction. I hope the link work.

http://www.distancesfrom.com/directions-from-lesund-to-Runde-Norway/DirectionHistory/242065.aspx?IsHistory=1&GMapHistoryID=242065

IMO there are no really interesting town along the route. You could make a stop in Ulsteinvik but its a small town famous for its ship building industry.

In Hareid you could visit the church which dates back to 1877. (a relatively new builing - :D) The church has some lovely rose painting. (decorative paiting)

The main focus en route would be the beautiful nature.

The drive including ferry will be 2 hours one way. I always add 30 minutes to 1 hour extra for those photo stops and extras.

I would use 2 hours in Runde.

I would do the Sunnmøre museum before you depart for Runde and do Aksla viewpoint in the afternoon.

All weather depending. If its overcast in the morning I would do the museum and the rest of Ålesund in the afternoon in hope it has cleared up.

I will be away from January 16 to January 31:) We are going for a 2 weeks trip to Cuba for some sun!

I will of course check back in when we are back.

Lars:)

Have a great trip and many thanks for all the info. You have been very helpful. Looking for more good tips upon your return.

Joyce

Hi Bill - to actually see the birds at Runde you need to take a boat around to the cliff/island.

I found a route map and direction. I hope the link work.

http://www.distancesfrom.com/directions-from-lesund-to-Runde-Norway/DirectionHistory/242065.aspx?IsHistory=1&GMapHistoryID=242065

IMO there are no really interesting town along the route. You could make a stop in Ulsteinvik but its a small town famous for its ship building industry.

In Hareid you could visit the church which dates back to 1877. (a relatively new builing - :D) The church has some lovely rose painting. (decorative paiting)

The main focus en route would be the beautiful nature.

The drive including ferry will be 2 hours one way. I always add 30 minutes to 1 hour extra for those photo stops and extras.

I would use 2 hours in Runde.

I would do the Sunnmøre museum before you depart for Runde and do Aksla viewpoint in the afternoon.

All weather depending. If its overcast in the morning I would do the museum and the rest of Ålesund in the afternoon in hope it has cleared up.

Thanks very much for this information. It is very helpful.

I was surprised that we need to rent a boat to see the birds. I got the idea to drive from a previous cruise visitor, and he was able to see the birds and never mentioned a boat. Is this something we need to do in Runde?

Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Cuba.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks very much for this information. It is very helpful.

I was surprised that we need to rent a boat to see the birds. I got the idea to drive from a previous cruise visitor, and he was able to see the birds and never mentioned a boat. Is this something we need to do in Runde?

Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Cuba.

Thanks,

Bill

You can either walk the easy path up to see the birds or rent a boat.

The best months for viewing birds are in May, June and July. The best time of the day to see the birds swarm is in the late afternoon.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Lars