Cheaper excursions for St. Pete?

dana r.

Looking at the different excursions for St. Pete, they all sound alike where they go to the same spots and they all cost the same price, $300.

But, with the slide of the ruble vs the dollar, these same excursions should be signifigantly cheaper for the US traveller to Russia, but none of the tours reflect that.

Are there any tour companies that charge for these excursions in rubles or are charging less money than $300 to see the same sights?

I understand your frustration. But since the ship's tours are more expensive, and if you want to DIY you will need to pay for a visa, the tour companies have not lowered their prices to reflect the rubles fall. Some cruisers have reported on this forum that when they contact the companies directly, they are quoted private tours that are cheaper than the website rates. I have no way of independently verifying this, but if I were planning a trip I would email the largest, most reputable companies to request their rates directly for both a small group tour and a private tour and see what responses you receive. There is no guarantee you will receive a deal, but all you are out is the time it takes to cut and paste an email.

I would not take the risk of touring with a new company in St Petersburg with very few reviews, since you will not be allowed off the ship if they close or don't process the visa properly.

Edited by kitkat343

SPB Tours and Alla websites say you can pay cash in USD, RUB,EUR,GBP. How does that work? Do they adjust the RUB amount to get the full USD price on the website? What about paying by credit card? Anyone have any past experience with what the final USD amount was after conversion? (Possible conversion fees by cc.)

SPB Tours and Alla websites say you can pay cash in USD, RUB,EUR,GBP. How does that work? Do they adjust the RUB amount to get the full USD price on the website? What about paying by credit card? Anyone have any past experience with what the final USD amount was after conversion? (Possible conversion fees by cc.)

Most prices are quoted in US Dollars, and that is what most people use to pay for their tours. If you want o pay in Rubles, you would have to ask them specifically, what the price is in Rubles?

there have been several posts recently about 'other' companies who are doing tours for a cheaper price. Obviously, you can use any of them, but as we were discussing in another thread, most come with cheaper prices, but no reviews. That choice is up to you.

Cheers

Len

Cheers

Len

Most prices are quoted in US Dollars, and that is what most people use to pay for their tours. If you want o pay in Rubles, you would have to ask them specifically, what the price is in Rubles?

In other words, it seems like you're still not getting a deal if you pay in Rubles because you're still essentially the price of the tour in terms of dollars. It doesn't matter if the Ruble has plummeted 60% vs the dollar if the US dollar amount is fixed.

there have been several posts recently about 'other' companies who are doing tours for a cheaper price. Obviously, you can use any of them, but as we were discussing in another thread, most come with cheaper prices, but no reviews. That choice is up to you.

Cheers

Len

Cheers

Len

Do you know how far back I'd have to look for those posts about 'other' tour companies?

I found one thread so far about another company that charges $199 but its not the exact same tour with the same stops so its not a apples to apples comparison.

I don't know if I'd go with a company that has no reviews yet, although I would have thought that one of the smaller, up and coming companies with reviews already would see this as an oppurtunity to reduce their prices and still make plenty of money while dominating the shore excursion market.

A few years ago when DW and I were in STP we simply got our own Visas and did our own thing. Of the approximate 1200 passengers on our cruise only 4 (2 couples) had their own Visas and the 4 of us had a great time at relatively low cost. But now, the Visas are a lot more expensive (at least $160 per person) and a hassle. In fairness to Russia they are simply following the lead of a few other countries (like Brazil) and charging "retaliatory" visa fees.

So what to do? Either stay on the ship or pay the price! Or, you can do as we do and just not visit Russia :).

Hank

SPB tours was wonderful in St Petersburg. Very informative and comprehensive. Look at their website. Make sure you use SPB-tours as there is another company with a similar name. Eugene, our guide, was wonderful.

I've been researching this exact same thing myself. It sounds like there are 3 main companies that seem to charge almost the exact same price with very similar tours which everyone on this board refers to but there are more than 100 different tour agencies listed in trip advisor and many of them are less expensive and there is a great variety in what they offer. Some of them get good reviews so it is up to you if you want to explore that route. I haven't decided myself what I am doing... still looking...can't decide...

Jenn

Ask yourself, who takes tours? The "wealthy" Americans. The tour companies know the value of our dollar. I doubt you will find the same "typical" two day tour any less than Alla or SPB. Just be careful that the companies you look at are government authorized. Or you will face consequences.

Visas are closer to $300 now.

Edited by eandj

Russian visa (US nationals)

Options:

Apply in person to the Russian consulate that serves the area wherein you reside: $160 + $33 service charge = $199 (add charge for passport sized photo)

Apply by mail: $160 + $103 = $263 (also add Fedex/ups charges for mailing passport, charge for photo plus $25 charge if you want to have your application checked for errors) = $300 plus

Visa is good for 3 years from the date of issue.

http://ils-usa.com/main.php?id=travel&idd=rates&lang=en

Quite costly no matter how you slice it.

Edited by dogs4fun

Well, a visa is $263 per person by mail. And if you are traveling with a family, that can get quite costly. Ironically, since my son was only 3 he was free on our private tour, so the $690 fee was less than 3 visas would have cost (and our private tour included a guide, transportation and entrance to the museums).

I've been researching this exact same thing myself. It sounds like there are 3 main companies that seem to charge almost the exact same price with very similar tours which everyone on this board refers to but there are more than 100 different tour agencies listed in trip advisor and many of them are less expensive and there is a great variety in what they offer. Some of them get good reviews so it is up to you if you want to explore that route. I haven't decided myself what I am doing... still looking...can't decide...

Jenn

I might have missed something because I didn't go through all the different tour agencies listed on tripadvisor, but I didn't find any agencies that were less expensive that offered the same tours as the 3 main companies.

There were certainly less expensive options by the other tour companies, but it also meant that their tour was missing a canal ride or something else.

I suspect that there's an unwritten agreement among the tour companies that as long as they keep their prices similar to each other and as long as the visa is so expensive, then cruise ship passengers won't have a choice but to pay those prices for these tours.

Wow! $300 is too expensive? Wonder where you can get a similar product for less than $300. Certainly not in any other European city I am aware of!

For another European city, you wouldn't need to pay $300 for a visa.

With no visa, you could DIY St Pete and see and do the same things over 2 days for much, much less- maybe less than $100.

With no visa, you could DIY St Pete and see and do the same things over 2 days for much, much less- maybe less than $100.

With admission and transportation (including to Peterhof???)

My point was you are getting a driver and guide for 8 hours for $300. A pretty good price.

My point was you are getting a driver and guide for 8 hours for $300. A pretty good price.

No, actually you get two full days for the $300. :p I see this as a nice value for what we get. Certainly not a city I would do on my own.

Wow! $300 is too expensive? Wonder where you can get a similar product for less than $300. Certainly not in any other European city I am aware of![/quote

There are always those looking for bargains, and sometimes they get just that.

$300 for TWO full day tours, is $150 a day. Show me ANY ships excursion that is cheaper than that for an 8 hour day.

As was said, you might get away cheaper if you DIY, but factor in meals, transportation, admissions and definitely not seeing all that you would see, $300 is pretty reasonable.

Cheers

Len

Ask yourself, who takes tours? The "wealthy" Americans. The tour companies know the value of our dollar. I doubt you will find the same "typical" two day tour any less than Alla or SPB.

I wonder if this means that those tours will then offer lower prices for other nationalities who aren't perceived to be as rich as Americans.

If there's a tour group that's targeting Chinese tourists, I wonder if they charge the same price for the same 'typical' two day tour that Alla or SPB offer?

Hi! I’ve just checked a few websites.

Alla has 2 day Grand tour at 300 $. By the way I don’t think it’s expensive. 150 $ per day taking in consideration that lunches are included and you have full days doesn’t sound expensive.

Spb tours start with 210 US $. They also have full days but lunches are not included.

The Best Guides have “Happy Tour” at 190 US $ pp. Almost full days, lunches are not included. If you book the same tour with 2 lunches it will be 220$. They also have several other more expensive options.

If you still think it’s expensive check Stockholm tours. Initially I was planning to get a private guide in Stockholm. Look - they want 1950 SEK (about 225 US$) for just 3 hour walking tour! After that St. Petersburg doesn’t look expensive for me :)

Jess :)

Hi! I’ve just checked a few websites.

Alla has 2 day Grand tour at 300 $. By the way I don’t think it’s expensive. 150 $ per day taking in consideration that lunches are included and you have full days doesn’t sound expensive.

Spb tours start with 210 US $. They also have full days but lunches are not included.

The Best Guides have “Happy Tour” at 190 US $ pp. Almost full days, lunches are not included. If you book the same tour with 2 lunches it will be 220$. They also have several other more expensive options.

If you still think it’s expensive check Stockholm tours. Initially I was planning to get a private guide in Stockholm. Look - they want 1950 SEK (about 225 US$) for just 3 hour walking tour! After that St. Petersburg doesn’t look expensive for me :)

Jess :)

Right you are! Prices in Sweden are very expensive.

And, when reviewing tour options, one needs to compare "apples to apples". They are many tour options - some less expensive than others. For example, the Alla Grand tour is the same as the Spb Deluxe tour - they are both the same tour, both cost $300, include lunches, canal cruises and are very comprehensive.

I honestly don't understand the thought process behind paying all the rather steep associated costs of cruising (air fare, cruise fare, etc.) and then skimping on the "crown jewel" of the cruise, St. Petersburg.

We will be in St. Petersburg for 2 days in June on the Viking "Star". I agree it can be very difficult to decide on how best to see the many amazing sites in St. Petersburg. With another couple who is traveling with us, we first decided we would book a tour through a local Russian company rather than taking a ship's excursion. The lower price was, of course, a factor, but most important was that with a small private group we could really maximize and make efficient use of every moment off the ship.

We simply provided our passport numbers, DOB, etc. to the tour company and, as long, as we remain in their "care" there is no need to go through the hassle and expense of an individual Visa. Since we will not have individual Russian Visas, I have to admit I liked seeing in the tour company's fine print that "if for any reason you should miss the ship's sailing, the company will remain with you until you are back on board." (The many private tours I have taken in the past have always had us back to the ship even before the ship's excursions.)

Next we thoroughly researched tour companies. I'm a librarian:) but it's mainly a matter of going through CruiseCritic and TripAdvisor with a "fine tooth comb." I didn't even bother to read (or believe) any "one post wonders" - either good or bad. I paid attention instead to "experienced" reviewers.

We originally had 4 in our group, but decided to open it up to 2 more couples for a total of 8 persons. Brought our costs down but will stilll allow us to move quickly and easily make adjustments to how we spend our days. We found our 4 new friends for the tour on our specific Roll Call. We had early on decided what we wanted to see, but were able to switch out Upsula sp? Palace in exchange for the new Faberge Museum. We also decided to have one pre-arranged 3-course lunch and, on the second day, experience a "Pie Cafe." It helps to have a small group when you want to make changes . . . and a very flexible tour company.

We were emailed our written confirmation and "tickets" and are confident - thanks to Cruise Critic - we'll have a wonderful 2 days in St. Petersburg. Oh yes, we're going with TJ Travel:)

We will be in St. Petersburg on Royal Princess in June and have booked a 2day Explore tour for $195 through DenRus, who were highly recommended by a friend. It's still 2 full days but at a more relaxed pace. Although lunches aren't included you do have the option to order on the day - maybe a snack will do.

I wonder if this means that those tours will then offer lower prices for other nationalities who aren't perceived to be as rich as Americans.

If there's a tour group that's targeting Chinese tourists, I wonder if they charge the same price for the same 'typical' two day tour that Alla or SPB offer?

That's funny you make the comparison with Chinese tourists. The ones who travel internationally are way more wealthy than Americans!

If we're comparing apples to apples, then you can't compare a private guide vs sharing a van with 16 other passengers. Of course, a private guide will be more expensive.

And, everything is expensive in Scandanavia so its not surprising a tour in Scandavia would be expensive.

And, we shouldn't be comparing this price to a cruise excursion because cruise excursions are always 2-3X more expensive regardless of the cruise or port.

Instead, we should look at another tour caravan with 16 people in another country with the same exchange rate to the US dollar and the same average salary as Russia to get an idea of whether or not these St. Pete excursions are a bargain or not.