Shorts in Berlin

We saw shorts when we were there, but we went to mostly touristy places. I would put your comfort first as you probably wouldn't be able to pass for a Berliner anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kryssa

Berlin is a very layed back city and you will find many people with shorts and flip flops on hot days. You will stand out though, if you wear sport shoes with tennis sock.

Probably so, but so what. You are going to be there for a few hours, probably on a tour, do you think people are going to stop and laugh at you?. I can see if you were moving there and wanted to 'fit in'. If it were in the 90's I would go shirtless if I were able, but that would probably scare the locals. :D:D:D:D. But you get the idea. Shorts are fine and if you are comfortable in flip flops, sneakers, sandals, whatever, it's your vacation and the prime thing is you be comfortable while enjoying it. So what if you will be banned from ever returning to Berlin. :D:D

Cheers

Len

We're just home from a two-day break in Amsterdam with just carry-on luggage. It's a northern city, so I didn't bother to take shorts.

Right in the middle of a heatwave, temperatures almost hitting 100F, so although I had no choice other than long pants, every other visitor (including my girlfriend) and a very high proportion of locals were in shorts.

And no, kryssa, I didn't look like a local.

I looked like an uncomfortably-hot tourist :D

Assuming you've packed shorts, if it's hot then wear them. :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Unisex nude saunas and communal male and female changing rooms are common in much of Europe!

Yikes!!

Not my experience.

I'm tempted to ask where, but others might think I'm a bit too interested :D

Regards

JB :)

Stick with liederhosen and you'll be ok.

Please don't try it! Wear lederhosen in Berlin and, unless you are a German from the south wearing full traditional dress, you will be seen as a foreigner trying to be German and laughed out of town :D.

The idea that lederhosen and dirndls are German National Dress is a misconception. They are traditional dress from Bavaria and Austria worn, nowadays, mostly in the countryside or on holiday. You will not see them in North Germany except on tourists from the South.

It is rare to see someone in short lederhosen in a city even in the south, with the exception of Munich during the Octoberfest, although some men do wear the knee-britches and long socks.

Berlin is no different to any other city in the world. Locals going about their daily business dress appropriately, they would not wear shorts to the office, a skimpy top and flip-flops to serve in a restaurant or beach clothes to their city shopping, but tourists wear their holiday clothes. However most people, even on holiday, would not feel comfortable wearing the same clothes in a big city as they would wear to the beach or a theme park and dress accordingly. A few places, churches and restaurants mostly, do have a dress code.

Dress shorts, Capris, sandals, sneakers :) OK but striped Bermudas, sleeveless t-shirts, skimpy shorts, plastic flip-flops, white tennis socks and shoes or a baseball hat turned backwards :eek:, not really unless you want to be noticed.

When we are tourists, either local or foreign, we cannot get away from being recognised as such by the locals, many things give us away but we can dress appropriately - to be comfortable with the weather and our surroundings, feel welcome and enjoy.

Anni