Is my flight full

I should be packing but I'm wondering us there any way I can check how full my flight is...I'm hoping to get a gate upgrade on points..probably not much chance on Qf1 next Tuesday at 4pm.

Sue

not sure about Qantas international but flying domestic with Qantas i've noticed they open up the unsold seats a couple of days before the flight and i've been moved from the rear to the front

I don't think I have any hope Mick..but maybe on the homeward leg. You can tell how much I am NOT looking forward to the flight. See you on the other side.

Sue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Sue, do you have a good rapport with a TA who can go in and have a look for you?

Cheers

Di

There is space it's less than nine..just hoping the bounce some business class up to first snd that there are not too many in the queue.. But thanks fir the tips I'll do that in future. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Using your reservation number - If you go into manage my bookings or the Qantas equivalent - there is an option to change your seat. If you select this it will show available seats for your flight. This should give you an idea of how full the flight is and if better seats are available. My husband and I usually book an aisle and window seat in a 3 seat row - 50% of the time there in no one booked in the middle seat. A handy hint from my TA. Good luck with your upgrade

There is a website called expert flyer that provides that information.

However if you go to another forum specifically for Australian frequent flyers (not sure if I'm allowed to mention the site but you should be able to search using those words that will send you to the forum) there is a flight availability/loading thread where wonderful people will help you.

It is difficult to determine flight loadings based purely on seat availability with qantas, as they charge for seat selection, so even though seats are showing when you look, it can still mean people haven't allocated seats as yet.

Expert flyer will give you the numbers of seats available in each fare bucket, the more open the cheaper seats the more chance of an upgrade.

Watch it though the other forum can be addictive :D

Good luck with the upgrade, hope that helps!

I had a quick look for you - no joy I'm afraid. The flight is pretty full in both Y+ and J. Your upgrade chances will come down to the level of FF you are (Chairman's Lounge through to Bronze).

I also looked at availability of upgrades/award seats and QF1 did not show any, but if Y is oversold they may start offering some.

Good luck - we have not had much success upgrading with points on international flights recently as Gold FF (fallen from Platinum sadly). We have been booking J when they come up on special instead but YMMV.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Oh I didn't want to hear that Aussie flyer...I've chosen business as first preference, premium economy as second. It's a bugger you get the points but it's damn hard using them. Maybe on the way back from New York it might be better ?

Never say die RP. What flights are you on from NY? Can only do points upgrades on QF metal but they do fly from the west coast so hoping there will be good luck though it is a very popular route.

There are several threads about booking award flights and using points over on AFF. The running joke is the number of toasters you can buy from the Qantas FF shop. :)

Award flights on QF for international flight need to be booked as soon as they are released (just under a year in advance). Can be easier to book OW partners often or be creative in the route. Sometimes people book the first leg as soon as it comes available and then wait for the return to be released to snag it.

Upgrades are the bug bear of many as it depends where you come in the pecking order what your success is likely to be :(

Fingers crossed for you - let us know how you get on. We leave on Thursday for Johannesburg but got a cheap (relatively) J fare and as there is no F, no upgrade lottery for us.

Qf0018 on the way back...out of NYC via Los Angeles...at least it's an A380. The flights were part of a package this time not sure I would do it that way again. I'll be looking as soon as flights next year are released I need to fly into San Francisco and back from Dallas in October probably, my cruise ends in Fort Lauderdale..but I can get a direct flight from Dallas. Creative is one thing but with security airports are a pain..not that I'm complaining about security.

Sue

Have a wonderful trip Sue. it sounds wonderful, whatever seat you end up in. You do know that blocked seats usually become available at 80 hours before takeoff (T80) so if you want a better (closer to the front etc) seat in the class you are booked you can usually snaffle one then if you get it quick.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't get an upgrade sigh but friends who left a few days earlier did. Norway has been lovely sea day tomorrow and back to Southampton for our trans Atlantic crossing,

Enjoy the remainder of your holiday.

Safe travelling.

Using your reservation number - If you go into manage my bookings or the Qantas equivalent - there is an option to change your seat. If you select this it will show available seats for your flight. This should give you an idea of how full the flight is and if better seats are available. My husband and I usually book an aisle and window seat in a 3 seat row - 50% of the time there in no one booked in the middle seat. A handy hint from my TA. Good luck with your upgrade

This doesnt show how many people are on the flight, just how many have selected their seats.

Expertflyer.com gives you all the info you need about availability and upgrade possibilities.