random upgrades

vistaman

believe it or not : the first in "the nose " of the ship A on deck 4

i know that is a cabin usually granted to entertainers , lecturers and on holidays to clergy

As I understand with guarantees -

If you book a OS which is a guarantee Ocean View you can only be assigned a cabin on deck 4. These are the A or A1 cabins.

If you book an OB this is a guarantee Verandah Suite and these are from deck 5 and above. I don't think it would ever be likely for you to get a Verandah suite if you book an OS. So I guess my question is did you book an OS or an OB?

If anyone has a different understanding please feel free to correct me :).

Julie

Obviously an OB guarantees a balcony - I am not sure about an OS; if there was lots of space in the balcony grade you might get one. However, people who have actually chosen their A or A1 suite are naturally going to choose the best ones, having paid more. It is the only way to be satisfied with what you get.

Personally I think the allocation system is mostly random, certainly does not favour long time SB customers, but I have noticed that first timers do often seem to get the best upgrades. Makes commercial sense, as it is more likely to bring them back. And once back, most of are hooked!

As I understand with guarantees -

If you book a OS which is a guarantee Ocean View you can only be assigned a cabin on deck 4. These are the A or A1 cabins.

If you book an OB this is a guarantee Verandah Suite and these are from deck 5 and above. I don't think it would ever be likely for you to get a Verandah suite if you book an OS. So I guess my question is did you book an OS or an OB?

Julie

Not correct. We've had a v5 off an OS before. We were v lucky

I don't think it would ever be likely for you to get a Verandah suite if you book an OS. So I guess my question is did you book an OS or an OB?

OS means you can get any cabin from A to V6, but most likely not above that. On my first SB cruise, I booked OS and got a V6.

Obviously an OB guarantees a balcony - I am not sure about an OS; if there was lots of space in the balcony grade you might get one. However, people who have actually chosen their A or A1 suite are naturally going to choose the best ones, having paid more. It is the only way to be satisfied with what you get.

Personally I think the allocation system is mostly random, certainly does not favour long time SB customers, but I have noticed that first timers do often seem to get the best upgrades. Makes commercial sense, as it is more likely to bring them back. And once back, most of are hooked!

that is what i dislike the most : that Seabourn completely ignores your history as pax in full. Last cruise on guarantee there was a couple in a V5 doing a 1st cruise , "commercial upgrade"

i did receive an A on a 15 th ...

C and Hal influences ???

The bottom line is an OS or an OB is just plain gambling and totally pot luck.

Nobody can moan about what they are given because they gamble and pay a ridiculously low price for the privilege.

If it is going to bother you just choose exactly which suite that you want and pay the price at the time of booking.

But book early to avoid disappointment.[emoji3]

Edited by Mr Luxury

The bottom line is an OS or an OB is just plain gambling and totally pot luck.

Nobody can moan about what they are given because they gamble and pay a ridiculously low price for the privilege.

If it is going to bother you just choose exactly which suite that you want and pay the price at the time of booking.

But book early to avoid disappointment.[emoji3]

OR have your TA call SB and remind them how many days you have. My TA did this for me and voila, I went from a V1 to a V6. He did this for other pax and had success.

Okay I have learnt something new.

However I agree with Mr Luxury. I have been willing to take a guarantee on occasion but accept this is a gamble and therefore I can hope, but accept what I am given because I paid the lower price.

Julie

OR have your TA call SB and remind them how many days you have. My TA did this for me and voila, I went from a V1 to a V6. He did this for other pax and had success.

my TA did that - the hal - seabourn representative - located in the netherlands - is pretending she cannot do anything

that office is simply focusing on Hal as they believe SB are always returning ...

A word of warning - if you did book a specific suite without asking your TA or Seabourn for 'no automatic upgrade' this could happen. Most of the time you would be pleased, but if, as happened to us, the upgrade should be in a spot you did not care for (under the pool deck, half of adjoining suites for instance) you cannot have your old suite back, it will have been re-allocated. Luckily when we boarded the lovely Hotel Manager found us a different one in the same category as the 'upgrade'. We did find this annoying.

On a upcoming cruise in late Oct I booked the low price ob suite last week i was offered an upgrade to penthouse for the cost of booking a v2. This is the third time I have got upgrades to penthouse or owners albeit the other two i had booked actual cabins I choose. i'm thankful for the good luck

On a upcoming cruise in late Oct I booked the low price ob suite last week i was offered an upgrade to penthouse for the cost of booking a v2. This is the third time I have got upgrades to penthouse or owners albeit the other two i had booked actual cabins I choose. i'm thankful for the good luck

Can I ask how much extra the penthouse was please?

While I understand the commercial reasons for offering upgrades to first-time Seabourn cruisers, I don't really understand why upgrades are offered to people with Guarantees when there are others who have often paid quite a lot more for their suites. I would offer upgrades to those who have paid the most and work down the scale from there.

The best upgrade I received was from Radisson, two weeks extra cruising because someone in their office goofed and the choices were: Take the extra time at no extra cost or not. Hard decision:rolleyes:

I don't understand upgrades on Seabourn. For me any cabin on the ship is fine unless the weather or sea is supposed to be rough. Then its pick something specific and be happy with that rather than winding up in a smaller cabin in the bow (happened once on the Pride:mad:).