SkY BAR & SMOKING

dalliowner

Smoking only used to be allowed on the port side of the Sky bar but I notice it now says smoking is allowed at the bar. Is this a change or a typo ??

I used to enjoy sitting at the bar and although the smokers on the port side was not perfect at least you did not have somebody next to you smoking

We were on the Odyssey last week and used the Sky bar as our regular afternoon relaxation area.

There were 4 tables on the port side each with an ash tray, the 2 tables on the starboard side had no ashtrays and we never saw any smoking there.

I would say that there was very little evidence of any smoking anywhere, good news in my view.

We were on the Odyssey last week and used the Sky bar as our regular afternoon relaxation area.

There were 4 tables on the port side each with an ash tray, the 2 tables on the starboard side had no ashtrays and we never saw any smoking there.

I would say that there was very little evidence of any smoking anywhere, good news in my view.

I was going to add to my post that since the policy changed, we've also experienced fewer issues with smoking.

Reassuring to read there was little evidence of it on your cruise. We're on Sojourn in a couple of weeks, if smoking is actually permitted on the port side per original policy and your post, and not starboard, we'll hopefully enjoy a few drinks at the actual bar on this cruise.

Edited to add, I've just read the actual smoking policy in our docs and it does say smoking is permitted on the bar stools starboard. I know people were smoking there on our last cruise.

I wonder where they consider to be the dividing line at the bar?

Edited by Nigella

On my documents about smoking it states that smoking is allowed when talking about the Skybar

" at the bar and on the starboard side " this seems to say all of the bar and not just the starboard side ( sorry not port as stated earlier):(

On my documents about smoking it states that smoking is allowed when talking about the Skybar

" at the bar and on the starboard side " this seems to say all of the bar and not just the starboard side ( sorry not port as stated earlier):(

I have two separate notes about the policy in with my documents. In the Travel Planner booklet it says the same as yours. On the other paper which is separate, the wording specifically includes the stools.

On reading again, it's now clear to me and I agree with you, it does mean all of the bar, and that's what we saw on our most recent cruises,smoking allowed on all of the stools at the bar.

What's worrying to non smokers who enjoy the Sky Bar, is that Howarth saw ashtrays port side as well.

On Odyssey last month were plastic signs on the port side Sky Bar tables saying "No smoking" and so if someone took it upon himself to ditch them favor ashtrays I know I would alert the bartender. Their training provides that they resolve the matter asap.

And I would so inform the Hotel Manager so he and others could monitor the area. No smoking means just that.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

Just to correct my earlier post, I had my port and starboard mixed up.

The smoking tables were the four on the starboard side, apologies for the confusion.

To reiterate I never saw smoking at the bar or bar stools but did not specifically look for it

Just to correct my earlier post, I had my port and starboard mixed up.

The smoking tables were the four on the starboard side, apologies for the confusion.

To reiterate I never saw smoking at the bar or bar stools but did not specifically look for it

Thanks Haworth!

I'll do a few recce's when we're on Sojourn and report back if there are any anomalies - Emperor Norton's pic above for example :D

I have two separate notes about the policy in with my documents. In the Travel Planner booklet it says the same as yours. On the other paper which is separate, the wording specifically includes the stools.

On reading again, it's now clear to me and I agree with you, it does mean all of the bar, and that's what we saw on our most recent cruises,smoking allowed on all of the stools at the bar.

What's worrying to non smokers who enjoy the Sky Bar, is that Howarth saw ashtrays port side as well.

On the Sojourn in July smoking was on the starboard side. I only ever saw a few people at the tables, never anyone at the bar stools but it was soooo hot in the Med this summer that it was just way too uncomfortable to sit at the sky bar whether you were smoking or not.

Smoking at the Sky Bar is definitely on the starboard side, but also I am 99% sure anywhere sitting at the bar on a stool (unfortunately).

I think the side has now changed in the Observation Bar after 8 p.m., for some reason, to port. Don't know, because we don't go there after 8 p.m.

It is such a lottery - sometimes virtually no smokers, we once encountered a man who smoked a very smelly pipe nearly all morning on the starboard side of the Square - within his rights, but not nice. Otherwise that is a quiet place to sit and contemplate the view from the stern. Last SB cruise, a man who sat with the most enormous cigar on the starboard side of the Sky Bar - not sure if that was in order, but no one stopped him.

Cigar smoking is only allowed on the terrace of Seabourn Square, the same with pipes.

I like to sit on the stalls of the skybar and have a quiet beer but if smokers are now allowed both sides I will have to sit down stairs at the patio bar:(

Cigar smoking is only allowed on the terrace of Seabourn Square, the same with pipes.

I like to sit on the stalls of the skybar and have a quiet beer but if smokers are now allowed both sides I will have to sit down stairs at the patio bar:(

Thanks - I thought so; however this chap was one of the 'masters of the universe' types, and maybe the staff were a bit chary of approaching him, understandably.

Luckily, it is pleasant sitting near the patio bar - we usually just sit at a table, if it is before or after lunch service. The disadvantage is no view.

I believe Emperor Norton's photo was taken at the Pride Sky Bar and was set up that way as a joke.

Yes Winner, I had caught that one, hence my :D.

Did I read elsewhere that you'll be on the Odyssey for the Holiday Panama Canal transit? If so, hopefully we'll meet then.

Yes Winner, I had caught that one, hence my :D.

Did I read elsewhere that you'll be on the Odyssey for the Holiday Panama Canal transit? If so, hopefully we'll meet then.

Nigella I hope you have a great holiday cruise and I am sure you will leave it in good order for us just as you did last holiday cruise on Sojourn. We will be getting on 4 January and I am sure you will leave everything ship shape. :)

I agree with Sunprince that I only saw people smoking on the starboard side this July/early August, not at the bar. I also agree it was very hot.

Julie

Hi Nigella--I will be on Odyssey December 3-15 only, leaving before the Panama Canal cruise. I hope you are on Dec. 3 and I look forward to meeting you!

Winnie

Hi Winnie, we embark on the 15th. Please make sure to have the crew save some breadsticks, goat cheese soufflé and wine for when we board! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to re-start conversation re smoking ...

Some feedback on our recent Quest cruise, only once did I see a smoker, on the deck outside Seabourn Square one morning. That was all. Never was anyone smoking, nor was there any hint of smoke in the Observation Lounge when I was there which was quite often.