Transatlantic on Seabourn

JVNYC

Good day all. I have never sailed on Seabourn but I am thinking of booking my first on a Transatlantic on Odyssey in Nov, 2017. Also this is my first Transatlantic sailing.

I'm concerned about the size of the Odyssey and going across the Atlantic. I do not get seasick but then again, I've never sailed on something smaller like Seabourn. Also, since the ship likely will be at full capacity, are there quiet places to be found around the ship?

I frequently sail on Oceania's O class ships (Riviera/Marina) but I'm very curious about the smaller ship experiences.

Hoping to hear your experiences and thoughts on a Seabourn Transatlantic.

Thanks all!

Edited by JVNYC

Don't think twice just do it.

My experience of a TA on the even smaller Spirit was fabulous. It was only 2/3rds full. There were very few choppy days, and the bigger ships, from my experience, are very stable.

It is very relaxing. Long sea-days in the great vastness of the ocean. You might see whales. There is a strong feeling of camaraderie between fellow passengers and crew and it is a great way of meeting intersting people. On the smaller Spirit there were lots of quiet places to be and read, or contemplate sea and sky, so I imagine there will be even more space on the O class ships, and there is always your private balcony. Never once saw a plane overhead. The stars on a cloudless night can be awesome. 'Rock the Boat' in the middle of the Atlantic is surreal. The days get progressively warmer and sunnier.

And you won't even have to row.

Edited by Flamin_June

And remember Seabourn sails the Southern route which is calmer and milder. It's not the Northern route that the QM2 sails where the seas can be rougher.

If you think back to the glory days of transatlantic crossings of the thirties and forties the majority of ships where far smaller than the Seabourn ships.

Seabourn's current ships have 30% more space per passenger than did its old smaller ships. And all the while Seabourn has enjoyed the top marks in its class.

Even at full capacity there is plenty of space to do what you want to do in peace. I don't know much about Oceania besides what I have read on CC threads but my impression of their ships is that it's not a patch on Seabourn. As in Holiday Inn vs Four Seasons, comparable as they are both hotel chains but not comparable at all regarding the customer's experience.

Happy sailing!

There are lots of quiet places around the ship. Usually there are not a lot of folks around the pool at Aft Deck 5 behind the club during the day or night. Except for trivia at noon, the club is empty during the day and so is the Observation Lounge (deck 10). If you like sun, hardly anyone uses the sun deck (deck 11) or the forward deck with the hot tub (deck 6).

Happy sailing - you will love Seabourn!

"Don't think twice just do it."

"I have no hesitation in going anywhere in them."

"Happy sailing - you will love Seabourn!"

I'm liking what I'm hearing....thank you all for this info!

A friend mentioned I should also consider Crystal Serenity for a Transatlantic. I've never sailed Crystal either. Anyone have any opinions?

I really like that this cruise is over the Thanksgiving Holiday. Wonder if they will have a special dinner planned.

I will confirm this week for sure!

Thank you all.

"Don't think twice just do it."

"I have no hesitation in going anywhere in them."

"Happy sailing - you will love Seabourn!"

I'm liking what I'm hearing....thank you all for this info!

A friend mentioned I should also consider Crystal Serenity for a Transatlantic. I've never sailed Crystal either. Anyone have any opinions?

I really like that this cruise is over the Thanksgiving Holiday. Wonder if they will have a special dinner planned.

I will confirm this week for sure!

Thank you all.

If you enjoyed O, you will absolutely adore Crystal! Better in every way. The trade off of Crystal's having slightly smaller cabins is that they devote much more space to public areas. Thanksgiving dinner on Crystal always includes a Roast Turkey and fixings option. That's American Thanksgiving.

Sorry....to clarify....the Seabourn Odyssey Transatlantic is over the Thanksgiving Holiday, not Crystal. Was wondering if Seabourn will do anything special for dinner that evening.

Thanks latsyrc for the info!

Sorry....to clarify....the Seabourn Odyssey Transatlantic is over the Thanksgiving Holiday, not Crystal. Was wondering if Seabourn will do anything special for dinner that evening.

Thanks latsyrc for the info!

I was on Odyssey over Thanksgiving a few years ago and they did an excellent traditional dinner in the MDR.

Good day all. I have never sailed on Seabourn but I am thinking of booking my first on a Transatlantic on Odyssey in Nov, 2017. Also this is my first Transatlantic sailing.

I'm concerned about the size of the Odyssey and going across the Atlantic. I do not get seasick but then again, I've never sailed on something smaller like Seabourn. Also, since the ship likely will be at full capacity, are there quiet places to be found around the ship?

I frequently sail on Oceania's O class ships (Riviera/Marina) but I'm very curious about the smaller ship experiences.

Thanks all!

As others have said just do it. I've done two TAs on the smaller ships and the motion of the ocean was zero problem. Further it was not hard to find a quiet spot. These aren't 2700+ passenger ships where outside of your room there is no escape.

This is something I would love to do on Seabourn. I need to pay more attention to the scheduling of the crossings. I think you'll have a great time, find plenty of things to do, or not do, and plenty of quiet lovely places to spend time.

I just booked my first transatlantic (Quest from Fort Lauderdale to Monte Carlo in the spring... can't wait!

How many formal nights are there? I'm traveling with my mother and I know we'll want to prepare for any/all fun occasions. I've never had more than two formal nights on a Seabourn cruise before but my longest has only been 12 nights.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks all!

Thank you for starting this thread. You jogged my consciousness into taking a close look at the schedule and finding a TA I hope to be able to do.

Roy

I just booked my first transatlantic (Quest from Fort Lauderdale to Monte Carlo in the spring... can't wait!

How many formal nights are there? I'm traveling with my mother and I know we'll want to prepare for any/all fun occasions. I've never had more than two formal nights on a Seabourn cruise before but my longest has only been 12 nights.

Based on the Prides final TA (only one I kept the Heralds for) there were 3 resort casual nights, 3 formal optional nights and 7 elegant casual nights. It looks like you have two more nights, so possibly one of them would be formal, so my SWAG is 4 formal nights.

Edited by Emperor Norton

According to Seabourn it is only 2 formal nights.

According to Seabourn it is only 2 formal nights.

At least per the Seabourn site the following may apply:

As a rule of thumb, Formal evenings are scheduled as follows:

Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal evening

Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal evenings

Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal evenings

(Note: Extended Explorations, Holiday voyages and crossings may be scheduled differently.) thus my TAs having had 3.

If booked on that cruise or corporate said otherwise, please disregard.