Cruise in between dry docks

JVNYC

Good day all.

I have just booked my first Seabourn cruise for May, 2017 on Odyssey. It's a 17 night cruise r/t Monte Carlo. I've been told that Odyssey will be just coming out of dry dock right before our cruise and then will be going into dry dock again right after our cruise. I've never seen this before and am wondering if this will have an impact on our sailing.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? On other cruise boards people have complained about maintenance going on right before a dry dock and some areas being closed. I would hope the overall feeling would be just like every other cruise but just coming out of dry dock before and then going right in again has me worried.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Having been around ship's overhauls many times in my Navy career, my guess is that the weeklong period at the start of the month is where the heavy work will be done. The second, four day period after you disembark is probably a "contingency" period, to correct anything discovered after the first period is done. Could be nothing is done then at all.

I wouldn't think there will be much effect on your cruise -- unless something major is discovered during, that wasn't corrected in the first yard period.

My .02.

I was on Odyssey last year shortly after dry dock and had the chance to chat with a couple of crew members about that week. I'd assumed it was basically like a week off for the hospitality crew but they walked me through the deep cleaning the ship gets and said its one of the tougher weeks.

Suites are stripped down, carpets and draperies cleaned, furniture polished. Bars get emptied so that every surface can be wiped down and polished. Furniture is checked for wobbles and nicks.

You'll board an emaculate ship with crew who are excited to see passengers again.

I was on Odyssey last year shortly after dry dock and had the chance to chat with a couple of crew members about that week. I'd assumed it was basically like a week off for the hospitality crew but they walked me through the deep cleaning the ship gets and said its one of the tougher weeks.

Suites are stripped down, carpets and draperies cleaned, furniture polished. Bars get emptied so that every surface can be wiped down and polished. Furniture is checked for wobbles and nicks.

You'll board an emaculate ship with crew who are excited to see passengers again.

Thanks jenidallas. That sounds great. I was thinking the same thing about boarding after a dry dock....but more concerned about sailing just before another dry dock. Would there be more maintenance going on just before a dry dock? Would they start prepping areas in advance?

Thanks!