Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) tax.

javafish

I've got the paper we received on the Magic two weeks ago.

Each Adult may import a maximum of: 24-12 oz. bottles (or equivalent) of Beer or Malt Beverages; 3 gallons of Wine; 1 gallon of Liquor/Distilled Spirits.

Liquor/Distilled Spirits:

Half Pint (200ml) - $3.25

Pint (500ml) - $3.50

Fifth (750ml) - $3.50

Quart (1 ltr) - $3.75

Half Gallon (1.75 ltr) - $4.25

Gallon (3.79 ltr) - $5.50

I am not sure what the law says exactly, but I can tell you that no one was checking anything when we debarked the Magic in March. We did self assist and as we passed by the window for tax, the lady asked if we had any liquor to declare and I politely said no, and kept walking. We did not bring it in the state to consume it there, so I fail to see a reason to pay them a tax to pass through to the airport! :D:D

I am not sure what the law says exactly, but I can tell you that no one was checking anything when we debarked the Magic in March. We did self assist and as we passed by the window for tax, the lady asked if we had any liquor to declare and I politely said no, and kept walking. We did not bring it in the state to consume it there, so I fail to see a reason to pay them a tax to pass through to the airport! :D:D

I had the exact same experience. Although I do live in Texas and will consume it here, I feel they're relying on the honor system. I don't know about yall but if no one is going to enforce it then I'll save my few dollars.

We just pay it, it's trivial.

Texas is just extending to the sea ports what they've been doing for many years at land crossings.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/tax_rates.asp

Note to those who buy the little bottles, each is treated as a "real" bottle so it adds up !

TABC doesn't mess around, ask any restaurant or bar manager.

"Please note that failure to pay the tax and obtain the appropriate stamp will subject violators to a fine ranging from $100 to $1,000 and/or a jail term of up to one year."

P.S. Don't forget the state tax booth is after you've satisfied the Feds !!

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Still, all in all, it can still be a good deal for some less common stuff etc. Most "Duty Free" liquor overseas is cheaper in the local store anyway, at least here in Texas, so we typically buy little, if any, on cruises.

Edited by pspercy

On top of the $3.50 tax for a fifth you also get charged a $3 admin fee. So, $6.50 to the state for bringing a bottle in.

My question: If I order a bottle from Bon Voyage and drink 80% of it on the boat, do I get charged the tax for bringing the remains back?

I will second the notion that TABC doesn't mess around. After all, they have their own police force... With as backwards as this state can be when it comes to alcohol, you mess with the law here at your own peril.

We don't have an income tax in Texas so they get you in other ways. If paying an additional $3 on your liquor makes it "not as good of a deal" then you weren't getting a good deal to begin with.

Just walk on by, especially if you did not purchase in Texas, or do not intend to consume or gift to someone in Texas.

Maybe one day Texas will bring their alcohol regulations into the 20th Century. :rolleyes:

Agreed. If the TABC really doesn't mess around then wouldn't they do a better job at enforcing this? Seems more like a 'we don't care but since it's law we have to act like we care' type of thing.

Just walk on by, especially if you did not purchase in Texas, or do not intend to consume or gift to someone in Texas.

Maybe one day Texas will bring their alcohol regulations into the 20th Century. :rolleyes:

Do you have a citation that shows the law does not apply to non-Texans?

Or is this just your speculation?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have a citation that shows the law does not apply to non-Texans?

Or is this just your speculation?

The memo details the law, the cruise line will place one in every cabin prior to the first port of call.